“Good standard - but overpriced”

Park Inn by Radisson Berlin City West
Ranked #238 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
“Good standard - but overpriced”
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I stayed here for a couple of nights during a fair in Berlin. The room was decent, clean but rather dated furniture. The wifi was not included, which always make me annoyed and slightly angry. Front staff was very friendly and helpful though, check-in and check-out procedures were fast and efficient. Breakfast was ok, if ordered they serve you proper espresso instead of the brewed mud on the tables.

The hotel is good, but the price tag is a bit hefty for the quality quite frankly. I don't know if they hike the prices because of the fair, but you should be able to get a better hotel for that money in Berlin.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Park Inn Emser Strasse Berlin has attained service niravana . It offers the perfect blend of efficiency and friendliness. I arrive on a minus nine snowy Feb evening . The bespectacled senior receptionist sees me step out of my taxi and strides out to assist me with my luggage.Addresses me by name and welcomes me back ! Am I in Four Seasons or what ! I have stayed here 16 times since 2003 .Since 2004 have given me my favourite room with terrace overlooking the school yard EACH time . The rooms are spacious , have large windows through which natural light bathes the inside. Some of the rooms are decorated in a beautiful blue colour . The welcome amenities are classy . The bathrooms are spacious and stylish.The toiletries are better than you would expect in a European hotel of this rate.But above all the staff at the reception , the bar and the breakfast room are the best I have met in any hotel . They treat you like a family friend returned to visit. They pre-empt your needs.Like a taxi on the first morning of ITB !! The bar has a limited choice of wines but tell you what ! Each bottle is excellent . The breakfast room has the sun pouring in theough its beautiful large windows. And the cheese , the bread , the fruits , the cold cuts , the smorgasbord are all excellent. The small hot buffet is of the best quality .And the tea , coffee station with separate pots is perfect .After a good morning run on the stately Berlin streets this is the place you want to be ! But the biggest surprise is dinner! In a city like Berlin where you have a stunning variety of fantastic restaurants , we normally dont eat at the restaurant in the hotel . But last time I had an early morning flight and my guest could arrive only at 9 and I didnt want the Italian down the road . So we decided to eat in the restaurant.And I had arguably the best steak I have ever eaten ! With an excellent but not overpriced bottle of red wine. Excellent experience .Again a small menu but what I ate was delicious. Park Inn Emser Strasse rocks .

Room Tip: Ask for a room with terrace
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank blueocean201016
London
Reviewed January 22, 2012

This hotel is classified as a 4 star hotel, but in reality it is just a nice 3 star hotel.

Pros: It's located on a quiet street. The rooms are clean and their size is decent.
Cons: We booked a double room, but got two beds shoved together instead. The mattresses were uncomfortable. No tea/coffee making facilities. Internet was very expensive.
In the first evening, the room was very cold. We looked around and found an A/C and a radiator. The A/C didn't work and the radiator was just lukewarm after some time of turning it on, so I called the reception. The answer that I got was "this is the normal room temperature in Germany". :(

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Room was very clean and of decent size, staff very friendly, and the area I would describe as a quiet Kensington version of Berlin. It took 5 mins walk from the U-bahn (metro), and 5 mins to Kurfunstendamn. There are some nice restaurants 2 mins walk away also. Reception provides essentials if you've forgotten anything like toothbrushes and razors, and the bathroom provides all in one shampoo/body wash.

Negatives of hotel. We asked for a double room but as usually happens we got to single beds pushed together (I never understand why hotels do this?). Also pillow was very odd, it was like a sack, and then to make fuller you had to fold it. You had to pay for wifi and breakfast was 12 euros, so we decided to go to a cafe up the road which filled us up for about 4. But all of this was very minor and we were very happy with our stay :)

WARNING ABOUT BERLIN TRAINS!!********
We didn't know about this, apparently its quite normal in some European countries. We got to the airport trainstation and there was no one about, but we managed to get a ticket (ABC single, cost 3 euros) and got on the right train. We noticed there was no date on it, thinking it was a bit odd, but there was a time, therefore we thought it'd be fine. WRONG. We got halfway, and were asked to leave the train by ticket inspectors, who told us that because we hadn't validated our tickets (aka used the stamp machines next to ticket machines which we hadn't even noticed to stamp todays date on) we had to pay a fine of 40 euros each!!! Thinking it was a scam, they took us to the information desk on the platform and confirmed their id was real. After protest they let us off with 40 between the two of us because we were tourists who didn't know.

The experience really shook us up and we think it was incredibly unfair, and avoided using the trains apart from our journey back to the airport. I can't imagine how much money Berlin trains make from catching tourists out this way, so make sure the same doesn't happen to you!! I'll definitely be doing a lot more research on cities transports next time I travel!

Room Tip: There is a school behind the hotel with a massive playground, so if your wanting a lay in on the wee...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amyeeee
Moscow
Reviewed January 5, 2012

The hotel is in Kurfunstendamn area. Not very expensive. Unlike other Park Inn hotels it does not have tea/coffee in room, Internet is not free. So the level of service is very moderate. We have ordered many thing on ebay to be delivered to the hotel address. I'm very thankful to the hotel staff that they have stored all of them and kept until we arrived.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed December 20, 2011

We decided to stay at this hotel because we got a very good offer. The hotel is located within walk distance from Fehrbelliner Platz and Hohenzollern Platz subway station. There are some nice restaurants and cafés nearby (ex: Weyers).
The hotel staffs are nice, the room is modern and clean, and the bed is comfortable. However internet service is available with extra cost and all TV channels are in german.
We stayed 3 nights at this hotel, and we had a good time.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kangdamz
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We spent a week at this hotel just after Thanksgiving and couldn't have been happier with the service. Anna Marie was particularly helpful, but her great customer service attitude and enthusiasm were evident in all of the staff. Our room on the 5rh floor had a little balcony and we loved being able to open the window or door to cool the room at night. Having never been to Berlin before, we picked the hotel primarily for price but found the location was good, especially for the neighborhood. Our restaurant recommendation would be Hamlet, turn right out the front door and then walk 2 blocks north and not quite 2 blocks east - by the 3rd day they were treating us like regulars! Overall, it was the hotel staff that made our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple