“Not the best advertisement for Indian food in Berlin” 3 of 5 bubbles

Buddha Republic
Ranked #488 of 8,231 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Charlottenburg
London, United Kingdom
“Not the best advertisement for Indian food in Berlin”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

My chicken saag was good and full of flavour - 4/5. The waitress really talked up the vegetarian tandoori paneer, presented on a banana leaf as a kebab. What arrived was a let-down - a plate big on paneer, light on vegetables with bland spicing - 2/5. Papadoms were miniscule - 1/5.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Bath, United Kingdom
“A true treasure in Berlin!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Buhdda Republic is simply fantastic! What a stunning find! Now, you might be a curry fanantic, as I am and feel that the UK has curry all wrapped up and that there are no better places to it it, save for actually being in India itself. Well, let me tell you, I have been to India and eaten curries that were far below the standard at this fantastic restaurant just a short walk from the Ku'damm. The atmosphere, the decor, the food - all of these things made our first visit so good, that we had to go back again the next night as well! Good for vegetarians as well as meat eaters, the food is very carefully prepared so that you can actually taste all the individual ingredients in each dish.
With almost 40 years on the planet and with a trip to India under my belt, nothing compares to this place - ever! Five stars indeed! Es war wirklich wunderbar und wir sehen uns bald!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Dave W
Uk
“Great food let down by stroppy waitress”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

Our last night in Berlin so we chose to eat at Buddha Republic as it was near our hotel and looked really nice when we passed by before.

We were initially greeted by a helpful waitress, with good English (my German is terrible). However the waitress that took over after we were seated seemed to have an attitude because we could not understand German. At one point the first waitress came over to help which seemed to annoy the second one further and after that the service was terrible despite our attempts to smile and be polite (I've done catering work in the past myself so make a point of being nice to those serving me).

The food was indeed delicious, however after we were finished we were sat for nearly 30 mins trying to get the attention of the waitress so we could look at the dessert menu. She obviously could see that we were waiting (no plates or glasses on the table, just us sat there thumb twiddling) but kept finding something else to do. By the time we did finally get her attention we just asked for the bill as we did not want to hang around any longer.

Well, fair enough we thought, no tip for you then (I normally leave a generous tip). However it turned out service was included at 9% which may explain the rude attitude. This is not a cheap restaurant so I would expect better from the staff to be honest.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Spectacular Indian food, best I've ever tasted. Cannot wait to dine there again! Also people were lovely so helpful. Wonderful area too. All round 10 out of 10

1 Thank Paul O
Toftlund, Denmark
“What a joke!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012 via mobile

I had high hopes when I read all the raving reviews about this amazing out of this world tandoori owned restaurant in Exberliner.

I along with my partner decided to have lunch there. While ordering we were told there was no naan.. Nor chapatti.. We were then asked to move indoors since we were the only ones dinning... All the fancy decor was no pleaser either since they had to heat up their tandoor oven and we had to wait over an hour to get the out of this world tilkkas.. You see, being a Pakistani and knowing my cuisine I can tell you that I have never felt so stupid paying for such lousy food. Bland and expensive food.

I will never go back. Every place has its bad day. I unfortunately had to be there when they had theirs. When one opens ones doors for dinning one has to be prepared for taking orders!!!!

Exberliner owes me a lunch.. An expensive lunch!

2 Thank Soomi