“Very popular. Decent Bavarian food”

Augustiner am Gendarmenmarkt
Ranked #191 of 8,842 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: German
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I had trouble making a reservation. Had to ring many times as no-one went on the phone. The place was full on the Monday evening as a result the restaurant was very loud. Many members of staff running around. Some staff were friendly, others stressed. Kept being told that they were the wrong person -. to be seated, to order drinks.... The food impressed my overseas visitors. The Wiener Schnitzel (just on €20) was very good, as was the beer. Really 3.5 out of 5.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,037)

Reviewed May 8, 2014

We looked for a restaurant in Berlin where we were staying that was going to serve proper German food, and according to the Tripadvisor map, this was the nearest place. Since I have never had real German food before, I cannot say how authentic the dishes are, but clearly, there was a lot of meat dishes, and of course, we had to order the signature dish "The Original" which is the cover photo which can be seen on the page for this restaurant. We also ordered two other dishes and the waiters (some of them wearing lederhosen) were immensely surprised that my wife and I were going to eat 3 plates of food - You think that a restaurant would be accustomed to having hungry customers(!) Anyway, all our food was delicious, but I would say this with the Original: the crackling was superb, but it did seem to be at the expense of cooking the pork until it was very dry (some parts as tough as the leather worn by the waiters!). Can't say anything about the beer, as that is not our thing, but we did think it cheeky that there was an incredibly long-named soft drink (which I sadly, cannot recall) which was essentially ribena with fizzy water...

This place is clearly popular as nearly all tables were reserved when we visited on a Wednesday evening, and there was a very lively atmosphere. We left there feeling very full!

Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Like the others it had been a while since id been back to Germany...

Went for early morning bier and wuerstel during a long layover from Tegel. The location is awesome. All the sites and sounds are within walking distance.

Maybe it was the cold temps (only high 40s/low 50s) or the overnight flight but the food really hit the spot. The mashed potatoes with the nuremberger sausages tasted like the ones my German father makes and the sausages were grilled just right - not over cooked like so many places.

I read and read before going to find the best bier hall in berlin for my short transit and so happy I picked this place. Highly recommend!

Tip- take the bus to/from the airport. It's only 2.5 euros and you see so much of the city. I took a cab in and the bus back. Saved some cash for duty free :).

Reviewed May 6, 2014

For those nostalgic from their student days visiting Germany this is the place to go.

East Berlin has wonderful restaurants , the cuisine is varied and excellent, but it is harder to find the Germanic food reflective of the past.

Augustine's the place to go, good and filling Bavarian food...today I had for lunch the Augustiner sausages with creamy mashed potatoes and sauerkraurt.

The hotel ( Rome) waiter had told me that this is where the staff go in the evenings after work, he did not disappoint.

I ordered a stein of their best light beer as I did in older days...decades ago...I discovered that my right arm is not a strong as it once was and am full of admiration for those damsels who carry a handful of these litre steins in each hand.

I'll take my 40 year old son there for dinner later this week....it is time he lost his virginity where Bavarian food is concerned, enough of the high priced 5 star restaurants fancy food, time to get him back to the basics.

Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

Really excellent Bavarian brasserie, unpretentious with an inviting dining room, welcoming and prompt service. Delicious food : great potatoes and cucumber salad with the schnitzel (although schnitzel a bit thin) excellent porc knuckle with Bavarian sauerkraut, tasty weißwuerst. excellent weiß bier. Nice ambiance which draws you in and good value. Can't wait to return.
Booking in the evening essential