“Outstanding location”

Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt
Ranked #56 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed April 24, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Sofitel.com
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2014

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Boutique hôtel; 92 rooms; nice Fitness Room; typical breakfast buffet…nothing special. Very central location to all S and U bahn stations; 3 blocks from Unter den Linden and just a bit further to Museum Island. Room AC couldn't be adjusted below 16C so a little warm for us. Housekeeping staff very accommodating as was front desk.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Bonjour,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt on your visit to Berlin. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time during your stay. We also thank you for the positive review of our hotel. The lowest room temperature is 16°, that's right.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Berlin.
GeneralManager

Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed here in April to celebrate my husband's 50th Birthday and had the best time ever. From the moment we were picked up at the airport by private transfer everything flowed perfectly. The hotel treat you like you are the only guest staying there, every member of staff that we had contact with were excellent. They are so friendly and nothing is too much trouble providing us with maps of the city and leaflets of tourist attractions. We booked a deluxe room and were given a room on the 5th floor which had a double balcony looking out at the Gendarmenmarkt. When we arrived in the room the hotel staff had left a plate of pastries as a welcome treat and they gave my husband a birthday cake on his birthday which was delicious. We loved Berlin and we loved this hotel and will definitely return. I would recommend this hotel to anyone as the location was perfect everything seemed to be in walking distance.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2014

Bonjour,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt.

It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our most important goal to make each guest’s stay a special one with our best quality of service and offers. Thank you for appreciating our efforts.

It would be great to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

We spent 3 nights at this hotel, and whilst it was clean and comfortable, I have stayed in better. We (2 couples) had Luxury Rooms on the 4th floor which overlooked the Gendarmenmarkt. The views were stunning, but did get quite noisy at night when there was obviously some filming going on.
The rooms were very nice and we had a Nespresso machine which was a bonus. The bathroom was okay, but wasn't sure about the toilet door which also served as the bathroom door (difficult to describe). The rain shower was fantastic and by far one of the best showers I have experienced. The 6ft bed with mattress topper and lovely pillows was very comfortable and the bedding and towels good quality.
We didn't use the restaurant, preferring to venture out to different restaurants each night. We also went out for breakfast as we felt the 29.50 Euro price tag a bit too much for our budget.
The one thing I did miss was a lounge and bar, as it would have been nice to come back for a night cap before settling down for the night.
Only news channels in English although we didn't watch much TV anyway.

The biggest plus for this hotel was its location which was within walking distance of most of the main areas/attractions we wanted to visit. This would depend on how active/mobile you are of course As 50 somethings we were ok.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the city, but I have stayed in better and I have stayed in worse. It depends on what you are looking for. For the money paid most hotels would have had a lounge bar and possibly a pool.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Bonjour,

Thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay at the Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt
I am particularly proud to read that our ambassadors exceeded your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team.
I am sorry that your room wasn't cleaned straight away; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Berlin or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed April 12, 2014

First impression good, concierge excellent. However, despite information being on booking, not aware of gold accor membership. Breakfast following morning, was cold, and at 29.50 euros per person not what you expect. Found great little place close by with excellent fresh food at 7.20 euros. Left please clean room sign on door at 0915 returned at 1245, room still not cleaned.
Overall, people very friendly and concierge excellent, but results not up to standard.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank hapie2006

Bonjour,

I am particularly proud to read that our concierge exceeded your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to him. I am sorry that your room wasn't cleaned straight away.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

When it comes to brands, you can almost guarantee that with a Sofitel you're going to get a good room and good service.

In my instance, this was no different. The check-in was effortless and I was given a great room overlooking the square. It was accidental, in that I hadn't planned on being so central, but the hotel's location was fantastic. Everything was in walking distance, and there are 2 different train stations within a 2 minute walk.

I found the staff to be very polite and the room was lovely. Bigger TVs would be nice, but hey you can't have everything. The bed was comfortable, and as always, I love the robes and slippers...

On one of the nights, we came home late, and my wife was craving some sugar. I called down and spoke with the night porter Max. I was shocked at his response : he said 'you are not VIPs so you don't get biscuits'...

Of course, I was astounded at that, and came straight down in the morning to blast the manager. I did appreciate that one staff member didn't speak for the whole hotel, but I wasn't going to let this slide.

I spoke with Tina, who dealt with it all very professionally, sent some breakfast up as an apology and tended to us till we checked out...

All in all a very good hotel, a good location and great staff - I will be back...

Room Tip: Try and pick a room that faces the square. It's beautiful.
1  Thank HellopeopleLondon

Bonjour,

thank you so much for your very positive feedback. I highly appreciate your comments and I would like to personally thank you for having taken the time to share your experiences from your recent stay at the Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt.
Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern Luxury room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Berlin or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.