“good enough.”

Ranked #44 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Pattaya, Thailand
“good enough.”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

You know I have many good memories with the Sofitel brand, so I guess my expectation was probably too high. There is nothing that stick out as bad but just little things like the absence of a tub or the bathroom is awkward to use by two people at the same time or there weren't enough staff at the front desk so you have to wait a few moments to get what you are after. Apart from that the hotel is in a good location, professional serviced mind staff and a well done all around hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt on your visit to Berlin. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time during your stay in general. It is a shame that we weren't possible to fullfil your expectations.

GeneralManager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Korean first
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night, in a Prestige Suite.

Check in was definitely friendly and efficient: within a few minutes I was in my room, which was already available at noon. The view was in keeping with the great location of this hotel, directly on the beautiful Gendarmenmarkt.

The room had a light and fresh feel to it. The carpet looked like it was quite new or recently deep cleaned. You can tell that once quite some effort has gone into the design, but to me it is starting to feel slightly dated. Luckily the boxed TV’s that you see in some of the older reviews have been replaced with more current models.

The shower-in-bath is not what I would expect in a suite these days. Also, there were some cleanliness issues in the bathroom. The top shelf looked rather dusty and apparently had not been touched for some time. Same goes for the rail on which the bathroom mirror (that doubles as a privacy screen between bed and bath) slides.

In-room dining from the in-house restaurant is available at reasonable prices.

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times over the last five years and I do feel that it’s not what it used to be. I wouldn’t be surprised if it will be rebranded with one of Accor’s other names in the future.

Still, overall a good hotel at a fair price in a great location.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review and I am glad to hear that you liked the hotel in general.

I would like to assure you that I take your feedback concerning the cleaniness of your room very seriously and I ensure you that this experience is not repeated.

Thank you once again for your feedback. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Sincerly,

Brussels
Reviewed May 6, 2013

When in Berlin, I always stay in this hotel located on the Gendarmenmarkt the historic center of Berlin and you can discover the old Berlin (formerly East-Berlin) by walking. Very comfortable rooms (book one with view on the Gendarmenmarkt). Outstanding good service (Reception, valet parking) and excellent food in the Restaurant where you can also have alfresco dining. Sumptuous breakfast.

Room Tip: View on the Gendarmenmarket
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt on your visit to Berlin again. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time during your stay. We also thank you for the positive review of our hotel.

GeneralManager
Mimo24
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have stayed at various Sofitels in the past and always find them to be consistently good and Berlin was no exception. The location is perfect - right opposite the Gendarmenmarkt with lovely cafe's and bars. There are also a great selection of restaurants and shops in the local area not to mention all the sights Berlin has to offer. One thing I love about the Sofitel is the beds - they're so incredibly comfortable and I had a great night's sleep each night. There's quite a bit of street noise if the window is open but I was amazed at how quiet it was once they were closed. All the staff were very kind and helpful. Overall a fantastic stay in a great city - I hope to be back there again soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Mimo24
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay at the Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt
I am particularly proud to read that our Mybeds matched your expectations.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Berlin or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I cannot fault this hotel from the room, bathroom to the gym and breakfast. The service was impeccable with people exactly when to be present; the breakfast range was excellent as was the quality of the food. My bedroom was on the fifth floor overlooking the square, which is incredible and beautiful.

I would most definitely come back here again and again.

Room Tip: Ask for 5th floor as there is a balcony
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank ManuelLove
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, May 2, 2013

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I asked for a room on the 5th floor overlooking the Gendarmenmarkt, at end of the corridor away from the lift as this is always quieter in a hotel. When I arrived I found I had been given exactly this and check in was very quick. The lady didn't even ask for the hotels.com voucher, she was very efficient and friendly.
A chap came up with me to show how various things worked in the room, which wasn't necessary for me but was good service.
Room 517 also had a nice balcony with table and chairs. Room was clean and had nice decor. The churches in the square don't have bells that chime/toll at night by the way, so it is quiet. And on the 5th floor you're away from the street, but there isn't much traffic anyway. It's a very quiet (and safe) area considering its great position in central Berlin. I slept right through the night, with no earplugs which I usually have to use in hotels. Other guests were polite and quiet, which at the high price is not surprising. I didn't have breakfast there as too expensive at 28 Euros. I ate at a nice cafe/restaurant across the square for 7 Euros.
When I asked for a late checkout I was surprised to be told "No problem at all, Sir, as late as you want!" When I left I was given perfect directions for the train to Berlin Schonfeld airport.
Only two minor quibbles, I couldn't find an iron, and the gym had no free weights but did have a pair of gymnast rings hanging from the ceiling and a large brown sofa! lol. To the manager - please remove the sofa and put some free weights and exercise bench in there instead.

Room Tip: 5th or 6th floor, overlooking Gendarmenmarkt, at end of corridor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. I also thank you for your suggestion regarding the sofa at the spa which I find rather fancy.

Ireland
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We have stayed here quite a few times now and would prefer it to the Adlon.The location is perfect, good value for money and could not ask for a better service from the staff. If you are looking for affordable luxury then this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
In addition it is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a positive experience at the hotel.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Berlin or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.