“Perfect stay!”

Ranked #46 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Mimo24
“Perfect stay!”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have stayed at various Sofitels in the past and always find them to be consistently good and Berlin was no exception. The location is perfect - right opposite the Gendarmenmarkt with lovely cafe's and bars. There are also a great selection of restaurants and shops in the local area not to mention all the sights Berlin has to offer. One thing I love about the Sofitel is the beds - they're so incredibly comfortable and I had a great night's sleep each night. There's quite a bit of street noise if the window is open but I was amazed at how quiet it was once they were closed. All the staff were very kind and helpful. Overall a fantastic stay in a great city - I hope to be back there again soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Mimo24
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay at the Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt
I am particularly proud to read that our Mybeds matched your expectations.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Berlin or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Tina Senfter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I cannot fault this hotel from the room, bathroom to the gym and breakfast. The service was impeccable with people exactly when to be present; the breakfast range was excellent as was the quality of the food. My bedroom was on the fifth floor overlooking the square, which is incredible and beautiful.

I would most definitely come back here again and again.

Room Tip: Ask for 5th floor as there is a balcony
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank ManuelLove
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt on your visit to Berlin again. We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time during your stay. We also thank you for the positive review of our hotel.

We hope to see you again on your next visit to Berlin.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I asked for a room on the 5th floor overlooking the Gendarmenmarkt, at end of the corridor away from the lift as this is always quieter in a hotel. When I arrived I found I had been given exactly this and check in was very quick. The lady didn't even ask for the hotels.com voucher, she was very efficient and friendly.
A chap came up with me to show how various things worked in the room, which wasn't necessary for me but was good service.
Room 517 also had a nice balcony with table and chairs. Room was clean and had nice decor. The churches in the square don't have bells that chime/toll at night by the way, so it is quiet. And on the 5th floor you're away from the street, but there isn't much traffic anyway. It's a very quiet (and safe) area considering its great position in central Berlin. I slept right through the night, with no earplugs which I usually have to use in hotels. Other guests were polite and quiet, which at the high price is not surprising. I didn't have breakfast there as too expensive at 28 Euros. I ate at a nice cafe/restaurant across the square for 7 Euros.
When I asked for a late checkout I was surprised to be told "No problem at all, Sir, as late as you want!" When I left I was given perfect directions for the train to Berlin Schonfeld airport.
Only two minor quibbles, I couldn't find an iron, and the gym had no free weights but did have a pair of gymnast rings hanging from the ceiling and a large brown sofa! lol. To the manager - please remove the sofa and put some free weights and exercise bench in there instead.

Room Tip: 5th or 6th floor, overlooking Gendarmenmarkt, at end of corridor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. I also thank you for your suggestion regarding the sofa at the spa which I find rather fancy.

Ireland
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We have stayed here quite a few times now and would prefer it to the Adlon.The location is perfect, good value for money and could not ask for a better service from the staff. If you are looking for affordable luxury then this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
H5342, Manager at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
In addition it is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a positive experience at the hotel.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Berlin or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel.

Solothurn, Switzerland
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Very prof. staff, and very friendly and helpfull.
It is a oases of silence and yet still in the midlle (Mitte) of Berlin.
Rooms are very clean, big and comfertable, I had a nice view on the Gendarenmarkt.
Breakfast is a bit expencieve but....very very good (incl.champagne).
The restaurant of the hotel has excellent German/Austria food, no fat and not "heavy" . The restaurant staff is very helpfull and friendly, one evening the where trying to find out what kind of house wine I had the evening before...the showed up with 3 guys and yes....they traced it back;)
I like this kind of customer service ! Once feel welcome and not alone.
Will go back !
Carine

Room Tip: very good start for your city trip tour !!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt.

It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our most important goal to make each guest’s stay a special one with our best quality of service and offers. Thank you for appreciating our efforts.

It would be great to welcome you again soon.

Sweden
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed in this hotel in Berlin over a weekend in April.

At the front desk it looked like the personel were very busy at their computers - all were polite when entering the desk, but a smile or at least a look up from the screen when guests arriving or leaving would have been pleasent.

The first surprise I had after checking in was that there isn't any security in the lifts regarding need for a room card or the like to activate the lifts. Anyone could go anywhere at the hotel, which I don't find that common anymore.

The room itself was small but OK: Coffee and tea available as was Wi-Fi, so that was nice indeed. Only problem was that all electrical plugs (apart from one near the floor in the corridor) was in use so you had to unplug the room phone or the Nespresso in order to reload your electronical equipment. No special comments on the bath room.

The bed was very hard which to me isn't very comfortable so I slept rather poorly; also traffic noise was rather present, but that might be avoided if you choose a room away from the street.

Sauna / spa area wasn't among the biggest I have seen and consisted of a sauna, a steambath and some relaxation chairs. The good thing was that sauna was warm from 6 am which is something you often have to ask for (and therefore almost as often forgotten).

Would I come back? No, next time in Berlin I would try something else.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review and I am glad to hear that you liked the hotel in general.

I would like to assure you that I take your feedback concerning the attitude of the hotel extremely seriously and that all involved have been addressed to ensure that this experience is not repeated.

Thank you once again for your feedback. I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Sincerly,

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I've stayed in the Gendarmenmarkt area before - at the Hilton- so I clearly love the area which is home to one of the prettiest squares in all of Berlin.

This property was very, very nice and a bit more upscale and with a boutique feel compared to the Hilton. Staff were pleasant and very helpful. I did not try the restaurant, but it looked good. The gym was small but more than adequate and quite beautiful.

My room was fine - I believe it was one up from the smallest rooms, which are too small. Very European feeling to the room - everything was nicely appointed and very well put together. My biggest complaint was that the room was just too cold, even when I turned the heat up and it took quite a while for the room to warm up. This was a big change from the Hilton where it was, frankly, too hot - but at least at the Hilton you could open a window (it was -10 outside) to get some fresh air and cool the room down.

I feel a bit like Goldilocks complaining about the room temp, but I think that the quality of sleep is affected when the room temp cannot be regulated. Now, I did not complain about this issue because I caught a 24 stomach bug while in Berlin, so I was otherwise....ah...occupied.

All in all, I did like the Sofitel very much, and preferred the size of it to the massive Hilton. I would certainly stay here again if I could get a reasonable rate.

Room Tip: Do not get the smallest size room- move up to the next level.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank YYZpax
Dear guest,

It is a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt.

Every member of staff strives for making our guests stay at the hotel one of highest quality and service. We are glad to surprise our guests by always giving a little more than expected. Thank you for recommending us.

Best regards