New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Patrick Hellmann Schlosshotel
Ranked #10 of 663 Hotels in Berlin
“A dream in Berlín”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Such a wonderful place! I hope to go back everytime I go back to Berlin! I just adore the main hall, the bar with the cigar cave, those high cealings, that beautiful staircase. The service is just perfect, and the food delicious. Our Room was beautifully decorated... We really had a great time, a place to relax...

• Stayed December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Merimad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Polish first
Tyler, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My wife and I visited here on a trip to Berlin and spent two nights. The hotel is located in a residential neighborhood, so it's very quiet. It is not far to Kurfurstendam Strasse and the shopping areas. To say the building is magnificent is an understatement. It's a 1913 house that has been operated as a hotel for many years. The wood paneled great room with its staircase and paneled ceiling is beautiful. The common rooms are all decorated classically with antique paintings, but modern comfortable furniture. The staff is quite attentive and nothing is a problem for them. I found it interesting that everybody in the hotel knew my room number, so when I ordered a drink at the bar, I didn't even have to sign a ticket, it was automatically charged to my room. The breakfast area was pleasant, being in a sun room at the rear of the house. It's a little pricey at 22 Euro each, but has a great selection and they'll cook your eggs the way you like them. The restaurant was reserved on the only evening I could have dinner there, so we ordered and were served in the library. The braised veal cheeks are tasty. The hotel has a smoky odor from the fireplaces, but it actually is quite homey in the cool weather. The only demerit I can give them is that they still allow smoking in the bar, and the cigarette/cigar smoke permeates the rooms adjacent as well. On my second night, the guest in the adjacent room (which had a connecting door) smoked and the smell came into my room, so I had to stuff some towels under the door. The pool/spa area in the basement (former bunker) is excellent with all the amenities you could wish for. The pool is kept at the perfect temperature as is the hot tub. The sauna was very warm, 75°C. I would definitely stay here again, and would recommend this place to anyone visiting Berlin.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking area if that's a problem for you.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rkoonce
Eksjo, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I had a short break visiting Berlin in order to hear some good concerts and relax. I choose the Schlosshotel because it provides the calm and quietness I wanted. From the beginning I experienced outstanding service, I had help in booking several (not so easy to get) concert tickets. The level of service was outstanding throughout my visit.
The hotel has magnificent interiors, being a private palace from the beginning. The lobby is a great hall with tall windows and there are several large rooms adjacent where you can just sit and relax and have a drink.
The bar is everything you can ask for with a fireplace and comfortable furniture. It is not big but extremely cosy. It is the finest bar I've seen. There is also a beautiful restaurang. There is a spa with a good size swimmingpool and nice surroundings. Throughout my visit I felt I could ask for and get any help I needed with all arrangments and bookings.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Anders G
Dorking, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed with colleagues while on a four-day trip to Berlin, and was certainly not disappointed. The staff were courteous, paying attention to every little detail, and nothing was too much trouble. The hotel is beautiful and spacious, the location is quiet and peaceful, and the overall experience was second to none. Heartily recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LikeFarmHols
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I came to Berlin for a short break. Fantastic surroundings, amazing food and this beautiful hotel didn't disappoint, the staff were all very friendly and service was excellent. to top it off the mini bar was free. great place to stay would defiantly return when in Berlin.

Room Tip: Had a beautiful corner suite, very spacious
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
2 Thank Margaret A
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This was by far the best experience i have ever had staying in any Hotel, and i have stayed in many hotels around the world. The service,hospitality and restaurant are all sublime. And the building itself is truly stunning. We will not stay anywhere else when visiting Berlin.

Room Tip: They are all good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Raymundo R
Mexico City, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

this hotel is pretentious, grand and unsafe. the rooms on the top floor are overheated and make it difficult to sleep in. i complained about this in my stay there last WE and the staff moved my stuff from the room i had to another and then installed some one else in my original room without giving me the option of emptying the safe before the newcomers got in...

when i came back the combination of the safe did not work any longer, the evening manager opened the safe with a master key and to my surprise the 5000 US$ i had put there were gone. this in front of the new occupants of the room.

he then told me that the safes were not to store anything of value !!

that maybe i was lying and that maybe the guests they had put in there had cracked the combination. all in all they offered to give me two nights for free (350 Euros/night) and refused to take responsibility.

one does expect a luxury hotel to take responsibility for this kind of thing and when they don't it is completely chocking. so all travelers beware and avoid this hotel where thieves are better protected than guests. the police is now investigating this matter and i believe that nothing will come of it as the hotel does not have electronic keys to track the people who enter and leave bedrooms.

it is to be noted that letting new customers into a room before the previous guests have cleared is a breach of procedure and should not be done.

i will take a lawyer to make sure that fellow travelers are protected from this very reckless approach by a hotel that claims to be top notch.

Room Tip: stay away and if you do have to go there do not uses the safe.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank guyclaret
almahotels, Director General at Patrick Hellmann Schlosshotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear guyclaret,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at Schlosshotel im Grunewald with us.

Please be assured that we estimate every comment and, as you can see, most of our authentic valuations on TripAdvisor are more than positive which reflects our high quality standards. The last three years we were in the TOP 10 list of Berlin hotels and have received many awards.

As you have shared your comment, we have now the opportunity to respond with our point of view.

We continuously strove to meet your needs and expectations. As soon as your discomfort due to the high temperatures you reported in your room, and in general on the third floor, was communicated to us, and even though we had received no complaints from other guests staying on the same floor, we were happy to upgrade you from a standard room to one of our grand suites (normal rate 1500€ per night).

We would like to clarify that it was you who did not want to call the police when you first realized the money was missing – for us this felt strange and unusual. Only at our urging the police were involved.

We want to set the record straight that a theft has never occurred before at our hotel and our regular guests can confirm this. Also, the guests who were unfortunately present to witness this delicate affair have given us their most sincere and unconditional support. Furthermore, we would like to express that you were the one who left the hotel without paying the rest of your hotel bill.

Every guest has his own opinion and is totally free to transmit it to other travelers. Our aim is to give the best personalized service we can to everyone and to find the best solution for any query we receive. However, we are not willing to be accused of having “thieves on board” in our hotel and we strongly deny these allegations.

I remain at your disposal for any further comments you would like to make.

Kind regards,