“Great Hotel, Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Berlin Plaza Hotel

Berlin Plaza Hotel
Ranked #274 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Prague, Czech Republic
“Great Hotel, Great Location”
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for 1 night. I chose this hotel after reading all good reviews about it on this site and dont regret about the choice. The hotel is located just off the main shopping street, safe neighborhood, hundred meters away from bus stops that go around the city and to the Tegel airport, the same distance to the excursion bus stop. The staff very helpful, sold ticket for the excursion bus, gave a free ticket for something at a Christmas market (which I didn't use), gave a card for a free drink in the bar, which i also didnt use, gave a map with pointing out central Christmas markets. I had a single room, which was regular small size, just enough for 1 person, everything was clean, shiny. The window faced back side, but to my mind, even facing the front, there isnt much noise. I asked for smoking room, to my surprise, it almost didnt smell like a smoking room. The restaurant of the hotel serves delicious food. Breakfast was choice of 4-5 sausages, fish, cheeses, fruits, vegetables, jams, joghurts, choce of bread, omlet... I am very glad with the hotel, its location, price (45euro incl. breakfast for single room) and the stay. Definately stay here during the next stay in Berlin. Perfect for exploring the city.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Irenedoc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2012

It's rare for me to write a review while I'm still at the hotel I'm reviewing but I'm making an exception as I'm on my third night in a row of not being able to sleep because there are doors slamming every 10-15 minutes in this place and every footstep in the floor above mine seems to reverberate as a loud thudding noise in my room. Even with earplugs in! Don't know if this is a problem particular to room 322 or not since few other reviews note a noise problem. It has made for a miserable stay, though, and has cast a bit of a pall over my first visit to Berlin as I've felt tired all the time. I don't consider myself a light sleeper and have never had a problem like this on any of my travels before. Maybe it's worse with all the groups of young adults who seem to be here for New Year's and keep popping in and out of each other's rooms.

It's a real shame, though, as I wanted to like this hotel. It was super-easy to get to, even late at night, the room was quite spacious for a single and the breakfast was plentiful. The free WiFi was useful, though I've come to realise that when continental hotels boast of satellite or cable tv, that just means they have BBC news. I've tried as a result to be fair in my scoring - except for the internal noise problem, this hotel would have suited me fine.

Ultimately, though, if I can't count on getting a good night's sleep, that's a deal-breaker. If I hadn't prepaid, I'd have checked out after the first night. As it is, I wish I'd sucked up the extra cost and stayed somewhere else for my last night so that I could get some rest before my early flight tomorrow.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank travelling_is_bliss
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2012

Stayed here for three nights.
Is in a good location just off the main shopping street. Stunning Christmas lights with the whole street lit up.
With good access to the Metro and onto other parts of the city.
Room at the hotel was on the smaller side, but was clean and kept tidy.
When we went to exit the room to go down to breakfast on our first morning there, the cleaner has left two chocolate Santa's outside. It was first week in December and thought that this was a nice touch!
The restaurant next to the hotel and is also sort of part of the hotel can not be missed.
It gets busy quickly as its ownly small so may be best to book in advanced. We had lovely meal there, had more than enough food for a reasonable price.

1 Thank AnnH3
Gütersloh
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Just spent seven days over Christmas and stayed in The Berlin Plaza. Two minutes from The küdamm and the shops, five minutes from the Gedächnis Kirche, Europa centre and the bus terminal. We booked the hotel Over Booking.com. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was comfortable and good bathroom facilities. Anyway, in Berlin a person just needs aplace to have a good sleep after a hard day shopping,eating and having a Berlin Kindle. The price was 350€ including breakfast would stay there again in the future

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Devon UK
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Berlin Plaza Hotel.
To deal with a few negatives first - our room was a little on the small side and the bathroom appeared to have been designed for one of Snow White's little helpers ! That said, it was functional and how much time do you want to spend in your hotel room on a visit to Berlin anyway ? The elevator was a good place to make friends - I don't recall ever being in a smaller one. It worked perfectly well but if you have claustrophic tendencies it may be better to request a room on a lower floor.

Of prime importance to us, wherever we stay, is the cleanliness of the room and the Plaza Hotel could not be faulted in this respect - our room really was spotless with nice, fresh laundry on the bed. The beds themselves were comfortable and although only one pillow per person was initially provided a word with the chambermaid quickly resulted in another two in our room.
The staff at reception were very helpfull and spoke excellent English.

Breakfast was more than adequate with a good selection of hot and cold food and it was something we looked forward to each morning. There was no complementary tea or coffee in the room which would have been a nice touch so consider bringing a travel kettle with you if necessary.

Despite being close to one of the main shopping streets in Berlin our room was very quiet and we heard little street noise. The hotel itself is ideally located, being within easy walking distance of both the underground and the S-bahn which provides quick and easy transport to everywhere within the city.

If arriving at Tegel Airport, take the exit near the Information Desk and walk slightly to your left to bus-stop no. 4 where the 109 bus departs about every 10 minutes.. Get off the bus at Bleibtreustrasse (each stop is shown on a display inside the bus so you can't miss it) and it is then just a 100 metre walk to the hotel. Bus fare is 2.30 euros - far cheaper and just as convenient as a taxi.

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel and would certainly stay there again. Definitely recommended.

1 Thank Tillard
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed December 25, 2011

Very good location only yards from the Kurfürstendamm. Very traditional German city hotel - all clean, well appointed nad good service, but lacking in atmosphere and you have this typical smell of German cleaning products! Good bathorroms - but ask for a room with a tub if you like to soak in - there are not that many of them.
Breafst buffet is extensive and good - sometimes difficult to find a table for breakfast, specially around 9 o'clock. Try on of the side rooms.
The restaurant (Knese) is actually very good, with typical Berlin waiters - very good at their job, and in a way very service-minded, but sometimes on the border to being rude - at least to those of us used to staying in other German cities!
Have stayed here many times and am happy to retrun, but still wait for that first time they have a room available at 9 in the morning after anm early flight into Berlin - I always have to wait till 1500 hrs before I can check in!

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back yard givesyou the option of sleeping with an open window. Rooms facing the fr...