Wyndham Berlin Excelsior
$138
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
2,350 results
All reviewszoo stationzoologischer gartenfree wifismoking roomnice baru bahn and s bahnexcellent locationdouble bedchristmas marketper daymini barfew minutes walktegel airportbreakfast was excellentcity breakpublic transportsupermarket
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 27, 2009

The hotel is a stone's throw from Zoologischer Garten S-Bahn station. For west Berlin it's in a great location, but not so much if you want to stay in the east.

The lobby is a good sign as to the quality of the hotel. Desk staff were very helpful. One morning we woke up and there was a foul smell coming in through the door. We investigated and saw other guests affected. We left it while we went out sightseeing but when we came back it was still there. When I spoke to the front desk they immediately upgraded us.

Both rooms were very spacious and comfortable. The view wasn't amazing but that wasn't too much of an issue. The washroom was large and was in great condition.

Breakfast was superb but was 16 euros per person.

We stayed for 9 nights and it cost us only 150 pounds more than staying in a well-known hostel. Not bad value.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thetravelmonkeyuk
Reviewed April 25, 2009

Before I comment on this hotel it's necessary to explain that I chose this through a last minute website because of its location and I was definitely not disappointed. The location of the hotel is a ten minute walk down the road from the Zoologischer garten station, zoo, shops etc and the bombed church. It's a beautiful area to be around in summery weather. Although I must note the area with the sex shops and supermarket is a bit dodgy at night.
The hotel itself had a large space downstairs with expensive computer internet access but free internet if you have a laptop. The corridors were pretty and the bar looked nice though I didn't drink there. The room itself was very average. The bathroom did smell like bleach had never been used- it didn't really bother me but it drove my partner mad.
The room wasn't very big, was slightly hot as sunlight came directly into it and the movies were 30 euro for a package which for any Brit is well expensive when you think we could get a 7 quid average deal in UK hotels.
The staff were very helpful and friendly and made an effort to show off their English despite my partner and I happily using our German phrase books...lol..
But, going back to the location!! It was so convenient!! You can get to the Tegel airport in 20 minutes by bus and charlottenberg castle is only 10 minutes away on the same bus route. The zoo down the road is excellent; Potsdammer and Alexander platz are easy to get to. At the end of the day, if you get a good price for the rooms then it is worth it for the location alone.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2009

It was mine and my partner's first trip to Berlin. We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights.
Pros:
Ideally located- close to Zoologichal Gardens and fabulous train network.
Large room though double room boasted 2 singles pushed together. Rather dinky.
Nice bathroom.

Cons:
Upon arrival, the receptionist demanded my credit card for 'any costs for the room'. Not a great first impression, quite presumptious, not to mention unnerving - I don't particularly want a random hotel to have my credit card details 'just in case'.
The people on reception were quite unhelpful at times. One staff member couldn't tell me where one section of the Berlin Wall was located, even when shown a map (??!!) and 2 other staff members totally ignored me for 10 mins. while I waited to ask a simple question. When other patrons arrived with a query, they were served them ahead of me. Quite rude and unprofessional.
No internet included! If you opt for the cable option in the room for your laptop, it will cost you a ridiculous 5 Euro for 1/2 an hour. Outrageous. The wireless option costs a lot also. I didn't bother.
The room was very warm, even though the weather was mild. An uncomfortable night's sleep for the first night. The hotel staff were totally unhelpful; they simply told me that there was no aircon. until after easter. Absolutely no help and opening the window didn't really help.
Room service surcharge- 5 Euro. Quite over the top and a real deterrent. I didn't bother.
16 Euro for breakfast - I didn't bother.

Handy location, as you're close to the wonderful train network. However, the lacklustre service and the costly add ons (room service surcharge, internet, breakfast, cost of in-room films) were real downsides. I would not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 25, 2009

The hotel looks very dated and cries for a makeover. The housekeeping tries to keep rooms clean despite of age. This was my impression. Location is close to Zoo station, comfrortable for public transport, but also an area full of homeless people which is running down steadily. If you can get a cheap rate it is ok to stay there for 1 or 2 nights. But I wouldn't stay more.
Breakfast variety is fine. Very unusual for a 4 star hotel is however that requesting a cappuccino for breakfast makes you to pay for that separately. In the breakfast only coffee, tea and juice is included. Maybe that's an hommage to the 70s when cappuccino wasn't as popular as nowadays. Very strange !! Another service downturn: Breakfast brought to the room costs additional 5 Euro; I havne't experienced such a service charge in other 4 or 5 star hotels in Berlin.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 23, 2009

What a wonderful hotel in a magnificent location. The staff make your hotel extra special, with nothing being to much for them to do for you. We had a lovely stay in your city it is just beautiful and the hotel has a great location for sightseeing and walking to the wonderful shops. I work in a hotel myself and to be given complimentary upgrades on arrival for our rooms was extra special and the champagne given to me on my birthday was such a nice touch. I will recommend your hotel to anybody going to Berlin and hopefully we will be able to return one day. Once again thanks for a memorable stay.

S Aitken