“Modern and stylish with convenient location the Zoologicher Garten”

Ranked #292 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Oslo, Norway
“Modern and stylish with convenient location the Zoologicher Garten”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I booked this hotel thru at Top Secret deal on lastminute.com - and it was a great bargain! I was a little sceptical at first after reading other reviews, but I think they worked hard to redocorate and modernize the hotel after it became part of Wyndham.

When booking I asked for a non-smoking, high floor room, away from elevators. That is exactly what I got, and it was reconfirmed to me upon check-in without me even asking. The room was also a delight, with fresh air and a white, bright and modern feel to it.

Things I loved about this hotel:
- Front desk staff was very professional and service minded.
- They have three elevators, so you never have to wait long.
- Room was well lit, bright and well decorated, with a very comfy bed.
- Bathroom was clean and bright, and shower had good water pressure.
- Location is very convenient, only 3 minutes to walk to Zoologicher Garten where you can connect to the whole city with heaps of public transportation. Also many nice resaurants in the area, and a short stroll to shopping in Ku'damm.

Just a few small things pull it down from a 5 to a 4 in my opinion:
- They charge to much for Internet.
- The power outlet next to the bed do not work with the lights off, so I had a hard time charging my phone at night.
- The curtains are okay, but you can't make the room completely dark in daytime if you want to sleep in after a late night out.

Even with a few minor drawbacks I can truly recomend this hotel for your next stay in Berlin. I for one would love to be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Excelsior_Hotel_01, Leiter Front Office at Wyndham Berlin Excelsior, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Henrik O,

It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel!
It would be our pleasure to serve you again.

Wyndham Berlin Excelsior Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kfar Tavor, Israel
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We spent 4 nights at the Wyndham Excelsior with our kids. At first glance the hotel seemed rather classy: very centrally located, nice and spacious lobby with large screen TV, a bar and comfortable sofas + 4 large screen computers for everyone to use. We were informed we had free Wi-Fi standing but this was not the entire truth: they should make it clear you have 30 minutes free and the rest you pay (10 Euros per 2 hrs I think - quite a lot actually). The rooms weren't large but tidy and clean and a had a chic design. Bathroom is relatively small and dark. Only one person can stay there at a time and the bathtub is rather deep to step into. The bathroom's floor is made of a porcelain mosaic and separated from the parquetted bedroom floor at the doorstep with a metal strip over which I happened to stumble twice…. Breakfast was great though dining room perhaps too small for such a large hotel and at times rather overcrowded. There was queuing at the buffet but the kind and professional waiters were available and extremely helpful and that is what matters most. The front desk personnel also very kind, polite and informative. I think the hotel administration picked the right staff. Chapeau. See you again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear YKeness,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We are so happy you and your family enjoyed your vacation at our hotel
and look forward to serving you again!

San Antonio, TX
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Excelsior for a week in June 2013 in conjunction with an academic conference he was attending at a nearby University. This was the recommended hotel and I ended up getting an excellent deal using TripAdvisor (so for the rate, we were impressed). When we checked in, the clerk informed us that we'd be staying on the 8th floor, designated as the Executive Floor (Room 824). When we entered, we were surprised to find one of the smallest rooms we've ever stayed in -- including European travels and the typical "compact" room offerings. We had a small (1.5 ft) alley on either side of the bed, but there wasn't a dresser and we essentially used the small desk for storage. The bathroom was small, but the shower and the shower pressure were great. You do have to step in and out of a deep tub to access the shower, so it may not be ideal for the elderly or people with limited mobility. All that said, the rooms were clean and comfortable and served us well. Each room is permitted 30 minutes of free wifi per day, but there are 4 iMacs in the lobby that are always available for guest use (for free) and we found that it met all of our needs. The location - just a 5 minute walk from the central Zoo station - and from there, you can really get anywhere in Berlin easily using the excellent public transportation system.

Room Tip: Although the 8th floor is named the "Executive Floor," we didn't experience anything s...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear lisaj816,

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and all of the surrounding amenities we offer! Thank you for sharing this with us and I hope you have the opportunity to return.
It would be our pleasure to serve you again!

with best regards
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed at the Wyndham Excelsior for one night in June 2013, as I needed a place to stay before my transatlantic flight home. Won the stay through a winning PL bid, so was able to get a quite decent rate. In short, the hotel is your standard basic 4* hotel - I would probably stay here again for future short stays, but longer stays (ie. more than 2 nights) I would probably book elsewhere.

Location is very good. The hotel is located in west Berlin, right close to the Technical University of Berlin and a short 10-minute walk to the famous Ku'Damm avenue. The hotel is also about a 5-minute walk to the Zoologischer Garten S & U-bahn station, which provides very good (and quick) links to most areas of Berlin.

The room itself is well decorated. The actual room is starting to show signs of age/wear around the edges, however, the decor has been seemingly been recently updated. Others have complained about the size of the rooms (ie. small), but I found them to be average for European standards at least. The living/sleeping area of the room I found fine (practical layout), whereas I found the bathroom to be SMALL AND CRAMPED (more on that later)! For short stays, there is definitely enough space (I only had a carry-on sized bag), however, for longer stays...I would definitely echo previous reviews in saying there is no area to store/place larger luggage in the room.
The bed was nicely sized with nice linens, and was quite comfy to sleep on. One annoying thing in the room was that the TV was very fuzzy on all channels, you would expect a TV in a 4* to work without problems. I also found that the cleanliness of the room could be improved...some of the areas of the closet/cupboards and hardwood floors you could see smudges here and there of 'dirty' areas, definitely something you don't walk to be walking around in barefeet all the time...(no slippers in room either!) =(

Going back to the bathroom, again, I have to state that it is SMALL!!! That would probably be my biggest 'negative' of the hotel. The bathroom is very cramped - like more than half the counter space is 'over/in' the bathtub, the toilet is stuck behind the door, etc. Basically only one person can be in the bathroom at a time, in order to use it practically/comfortably. In one of my pics attached you can see the bathroom, and that's basically the area you have to move around in...tight squeeze!

Overall, I would consider the Wyndham again for future short (1/2) night stays if I could get a cheap rate again. It's definitely decent and sufficient for a brief stay. But at the regular room rate and/or for longer stays, I would probably choose other hotels than the Wyndham.

Thanks for reading!

*If this review was helpful/useful for you, please take a quick second to hit the "review was helpful" button. Much appreciated, and HAPPY TRAVELS!

Room Tip: - Spend the little extra and get a superior room, rather than a standard (about 10-12 euros more per...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Ryan T
Dear Ryan T,

Thank you for choosing the Wyndham Berlin Excelsior Hotel.
We appreciate your feedback.Your comments have been shared with our management and team. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Pros: The hotel is located 5 min walk from Zoo U/S station where you can catch a connection anywhere, 5 min walk to Kudamm with all the shopping ,5 min to Savignyplatz with all the great food and generally well placed. Hotel lobby is very well designed , day staff are friendly and english speaking. Checkin is a breeze. Breakfast is pretty good, you wont leave hungry.
The bar is well furnished . Hotel's restaurant is really nice
One thing that is important to me is the gym which was very well furnished and maintained. Kudos.
Cons: No complimentary WiFi.This is VERY annoying. not only that but they charge ridiculous price for it. The room is rather smallish, with hardly any space left around the bed. Very few and badly placed power outlets. Bathroom is rather small as well, They only leave one thin pillow, and i didnt get another one though i asked 2 times at the reception
Major fault - night staff on the 3 days i stayed at the hotel was unreasonably nasty,

Overall nice place to stay if you can get it at bargain price

Room Tip: Corner rooms are much more spacious,my friend got one at the same price
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Saar G,

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences
that you experienced during your stay. An experience such as the one you described is taken very seriously by all of us here at the Wyndham Berlin Excelsior Hotel, and we look forward to an opportunity to make it better.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel 6 months before travelling a week ago. When the receptionist gave us our room I was expecting a decent one, considering the name and rating of the hotel, and the advance purchase. Our room smelt of sewage/ rotten eggs. The smell was coming up from the bathroom drainage system . The bathroom itself had seen better days. No main lights,only 3 out of 4 mirror lights working. It was dark and smelly. We tried to call reception but the phone wasn't working, so went downstairs. Eventually they agreed to change our room, which amazingly was much better than the one allocated. So one is left to wonder, why the awful room was assigned in the first place? And how can that be a 4 star hotel? You just have to hope you don't get that room...good luck.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Francesca D
Excelsior_Hotel_01, Leiter Front Office at Wyndham Berlin Excelsior, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear Francesca,

Thank you very much did you have taken the time to rate us.

Assessments are very important for us so as we know where we stand.

Some of our rooms are being renovated, so the rooms are all have the same standard shortly.

The complaint regarding the technical deficiencies in your room we take very seriously, and ask that you formally apologies. It is not our standard, for rent technically flawless rooms to our guests.

Sincerely yours
Oklahoma City, OK
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We booked this hotel through a travel website, and got a great deal. The staff were helpful and friendly, the room was clean, and it was conveniently located very close to an underground (subway) hub. They do have parking for an addition 17 euros per day. This was a pleasant place to stay. Of course the rooms are smaller than the standard rooms in the US, but this is true for nearly all rooms I have encountered in Europe. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Rachel CS,

Thank you very much for your kind words and that you have taken the time to rate us.

Assessments are very important for us so we also know where we stand.

We are very pleased that you were satisfied with the services and the location of our hotel and that you liked it so much in Berlin.

The praise to our staff, we are happy to pass.

Sincerely yours,