“Book now!”

Wyndham Berlin Excelsior
Ranked #324 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This hotel was recommended by a friend so we booked through e-bookers and it cost around £140 for 3 nights. For this money I was not expecting too much but to my surprise it was excellent! Great value for money.

As far as location goes it was perfect also, it's close to Berlin's zoo's train station so it was a short journey from the airport and very handy for getting around Berlin as a whole. The hotel was very close to bars and restaurants and lots of shops if retail therapy is what you are after.

If/when we go back to Berlin I will Definetly use this hotel again without looking at alternatives.

Enjoy your trip :)

• Stayed: August 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (2,277)

Reviewed September 1, 2012

great location
service o.k though they did not renew the shampoo in the room
good breakfast
tea pot was brought to the room on demand and not as promised
the staff was freindly and helped me printting my boarding card

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2012

There are a few things that I will remember when I look back on my stay at the Excelsior Berlin. Most positive among them is it's great position in the centre of the city which made exploring very easy. Most negative would not not be the tired, slightly pongy bathroom circa 1970 but the paper thin walls that transmitted every sound from the adjoining rooms. This was most disturbing at night when your neighbours would enter their room, you could be forgiven for thinking that they were about to join you in your own bed!

There is free internet, but it's only free for the first 30 minutes. OK, there are four rather beautiful Apple machines in the lobby, displayed prominently as you enter, and you can use these at will.

Avoid the buffet breakfast at peak hours say between 7.30 - 9.00 am, it becomes an undignified scrum with guests crawling over each other to get a piece of bacon or a bread roll. If you like your scrambled eggs underdone as I do, then you are in luck. Just time your visit to coincide with a new batch of eggs, puréed rather scrambled. Wait another 10 minutes and those same eggs will have hardened and solidified under the heating lights into something that you may want to avoid. A disgraceful waste of good eggs!

As other have stated, this hotel does not resemble a four star, I would describe it as 2.5 to 3. You'll be happy with the beds which are large and comfortable. It would be impossible though, to lie in bed and watch tv, the screen recessed in the opposite wall must be the smallest and cheapest available and was only good perhaps for use as a radio.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 27, 2012

A very modern setting surrounds this hotel and it is very well presented. The restaurant
attached to the hotel is lovely with great food and service. The staff at the hotel are very welcoming and friendly. Our room was comfortable and well appointed. Breakfast is extra and
wifi is only available free for 30 minutes per day, otherwise you have to pay 12.50 Euro per day.

1  Thank Jennifer S
Excelsior_Hotel_01, Leiter Front Office at Wyndham Berlin Excelsior, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear guest,

thank you very much for your online feedback on tripadvisor.

with kind regards
Excelsior Hotel Berlin

Reviewed August 26, 2012

This hotel does not feel like a 4 star. We stayed 3 night and the room we got on the 7th at first, was there hair one the bed, dust almost everywere and no toiletpaper. After telling this to the staff in the reception we got us another room on the 3rd floor which was much better.
There was one man particually that new what good service was in the reception. Always nice and helpful. The others did´nt really pay any attention to you.
Really bad was also the limit of internet use (60 min/day) and if you wanted more you would have to pay (!)
Breakfeast and was very nice, and good location otherwise.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2012

the temperature control in the room (303) was not adequate. No one explained how to use the AC system. When I complaied and asked for a fan I was told they will ring me back but no one did.

I asked for a blanket instead of a duvet. I was sent an extra duvet.

At the busy check in and check out time (between 12 and 1) there was only one staff memebr at the reception and a queue of five to six for half an hour.

I stayed for 11 nights, four of them with my wife.

Bed did not have enough give. My wife has a bad back and suffered from unsprung beds.

Is there a swimming pool? No one told us but this form asks me to rate it!

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Excelsior for 5 nights at the start of August, at least I planned to stay there for 5 nights. I knew I would check in close to midnight so to make sure my room wouldn't be given away I sent them an e-mail. I got no answer so I sent them another e-mail, again no answer. When I arrived tired after my trip, surprise surprise, no room available. They paid for a cab to another hotel and arranged a room for us there, which was ok.
I asked for breakfast to be included with my room to make up for my troubles which was agreed(shouldn't have had to ask in my opinion). Two days later I checked my room bill, and breakfast had been added to my bill. I complained and it was fixed, but irritated me.

Other than the things above, the hotel was good. I ordered a luxury room, wasn't really anything luxury about it, makes me wonder how a standard room is. The room was clean, however, every time when emptying the bath tub, the bathroom flooded. I didn't even bother to complain about it. When changing channels on the TV, it regularly switched to the menu of some pay per movie (often X rated). The location isn't perfect, next time I'd be closer to Alexanderplatz.