“A better Holiday Inn - very family friendly”

Holiday Inn Berlin City-West
Ranked #351 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I normally don't stay at Holiday Inn because they vary a lot in quality. This one is one of the better ones.

We got a 1 room suite (complementary upgrade from being Priority Club Platinum member) and it was nice. The suite is basically 2 rooms connected - in 1 of the rooms there wasd a dining table and a sofabed. The other room there was a king bed.

The rate we got includes breakfast and the hotel has the kids eat free policy - kids under 6 can get breakfast for free. The breakfast is really nothing special.

One very strange thing about the hotel - they charge people for using their coffee and tea facilities. It didn't state it on the tray where the kettle is - it was in their information guide. So if you don't want to pay for it you'd better bring your own.

We didn't use the hotel car park since there were plenty of free street parking - which is a great thing when you come by car.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CPHBear

Reviewed March 24, 2013

The staff were really friendly. Breakfast was fantastic with lots of choice both English and continental.The foyer had two computers with free internet service which was available to all. The rooms had coffee and biscuits and were very clean and spacious.

There was a good mix of people from lots of different countries which made for some good conversation at breakfast time.

The staff were very quick at cleaning tables and making them available for more guests arriving for breakfast which was really good.

Room Tip: Ask when its quiet for breakfast as it gets really busy in the mornings.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
HI_93, Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin City-West, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear „Trogirciovonewbridge",

Thank you very much for staying at the Holiday Inn Berlin City-West. Your feedback is highly appreciated.

We are pleased that you praised our breakfast and our rooms as well as our friendly and helpful employees. Guests like you are the reason why we keep on smiling at work.

We would be glad if you visit us soon again, you are always welcome.

Kind regards to Doncaster,

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Needed a hotel close to the airport because our flight was leaving in the middle of the night and we wanted together some rest before the flight.
When we arrived they didn't have our room ready because they were overbooked the night which we understood. We left our bags at reception and went sightseeing. When we returned, we were given our key, went to our room, and wanted some water. It was about 13€ which for a bottle of water is ridiculous! We asked if there was a vending machine or supermarket around and were told they didn't know. Then I realized I needed to iron my shirt, so I called the front desk to request an ironing board. They promptly brought me one, but it was not just old but filthy! I was mot able to iron it! The shower had alao not been properly cleaned but at this point we just wanted to sleep. I understand they get a lot of business because of Tegel Airport but once that is one I see no reason why somebody would stay here. I do not recommend it nor would I stay here again. I will download the room pictures as well as the one from the ironing board and post them soon.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TravelingCoupleNY
hibcw, Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin City-West, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear TravelingCoupleNY,

We thank you for your detailed feedback and for taking the time to bring these matters of concern to our attention. Your feedback is important and taken seriously. I have taken note of the points you have raised and communicated them immediately to our Management Team to review. I can assure you that customer service and guest satisfaction are amongst our top priorities.

Regarding the price for a bottle of water, I would like to let you know that your mentioned price of 13 € is not correct. Guests can choose between a bottle of Pellegrino (0,75l) for 6,00 €, a small bottle of Water for 2,50 € (0,25l) and some other beverages from the Minibar in the hotel room.

I hope you could give us another chance in the future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly via b.beerkens@hibe.info in case of any further feedback or inquiries.

Kind regards to Putnam Valley, New York

Reviewed January 25, 2013

I chose this hotel through looking at good old Tripadvisor. I think I may have got my airports mixed up at some point as this is really close to Tegel airport, but completely the other side of town (and a 50 min journey) from Schonenfeld, where the Easyjet flights come in. But the public transport is excellent and - other than being a bit long when you are knackered after waiting hours to get out of snowbound Britain - the journey is easy.

The hotel is clearly pitched at business people, given its nearest neighbour being various Siemens buildings, but all we wanted was a room to rest our weary tourist bodies in. And this is what we got. Spacious, clean, modern, comfy beds, great water pressure. We were room only so didn't eat there. We did try out a couple of cheap and cheerful pubs in the neighbourhood, but mainly we spent long days in the city and early nights in the room.

No complaints here!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alsnp

Dear Alsnp,

We were delighted to have the pleasure of hosting you during your recent trip to Berlin and are pleased that our high quality of room accommodation delighted you.

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with us and other reviewers. We hope you had a safe trip back to Brighton and certainly look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Kind regards,

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Stayed for new eve celebration with family and had interconnecting rooms which were fairly spacious. Disappointed with the view from the room. Also bed was a double and felt really small. The wardrobe door was on a sliding runner and kept sliding off.

Breakfast very good but busy and items kept running out and we were sent to the buffet station in the other side of the room which got busy and then also ran out of food.

A great location for getting to the city centre.

Overall a good stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin City-West, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear thebestofitaly,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback as this is our best resource for improving the quality and service we offer to our guests.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Gave this place a second shot since I wanted to be very near the airport to meet a colleague in the morning (see review from June). There is no particular reason to stay here unless you need to be in the area or if you need to be near the airport. its a approx 10-12 Euro taxi from Tegel. I did find reception staff to be more efficient and courteous this time. I had looked forward to using the sauna/pool area and had checked in with about 45 minutes to spare...confirmed with the front desk that the area was open until 10pm At 9:20, I was down at the pool area only to find it locked up and dark with a sign on it about renovations......gee, thanks, reception staff. rooms are clean, but spartan. Bathrooms functional, clean, and have bathtubs. Parking is plentiful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
hibcw, Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin City-West, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear biztrav123,

Thank you very much for visiting us again. I would like to apologize for not informing you personally about the renovations in our wellness area. We had signs regarding it as you’ve mentioned in front of our wellness area and at the reception but of course our reception staff should inform our guests about it when they check in. Please be assured that I have immediately forwarded your comment to our reception manager in order to sensitize our reception team.

Dear biztrav123, thank you again taking the time to share your experiences with us and other reviewers and we hope to welcome you again in the near future. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly via b.beerkens@hibe.info in case of any further feedback or inquiries.

Kind regards,

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed here unexpectedly following multiple cancellations at Tegel Airport which led me to get in a taxi and say "nearest hotel" - and even then it's 3.5km from the airport or about €11.

The hotel is large and welcoming. The staff were friendly, and I got the impression they get a fair bit of trade from the airport. The hotel has a couple of wings and it's important to take the right set of lifts - do pay attention on checking in!

The room was comfortable enough though the chrome desk and chair was a bit dated. The bed was good, and the bathroom spacious and well-lit. There were tea and coffee-making facilities, something I don't often find in Germany, and an outrageously expensive mini-bar that I did not touch.

Unfortunately the restaurant was closed, but room service and bar snacks were available. The bar food was reasonably priced with generous portions, and the staff were efficient (only two people for an unexpected number of guests - well done to them). Didn't have breakfast.

We paid the rack rate of €84 and I think that's pretty good value. However, I wouldn't stay here as a base for tourism, as it's quite far from the city centre and getting into town requires a bus journey (or walk) to the nearest U-Bahn station (Rohrdamm on the U7).

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
hibcw, Manager at Holiday Inn Berlin City-West, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Darrenmcc,

Thank you very much for your kind comments regarding your experience at the Holiday Inn Berlin City-West. It is with much appreciation that you have kindly recommended our services to other reviewers.

We are very proud of our employees and trainees who ensure that our guests enjoy a memorable experience. Please be assured that I have forwarded your compliment regarding the efficient room service to our restaurant manager.

We hope that your trip back to London went well and I do hope that we will have the future opportunity and pleasure of welcoming you back.

Kind regards from Berlin