“Great staff and a very good location...”

Hotel Palace Berlin
Ranked #38 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
London
“Great staff and a very good location...”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Some hotels don't look all that much from the outside and in Berlin, which has so many good hotels now, appearances do count. The Palace probably has that against it.

But look beyond it to the lovely staff, excellent rooms and bathrooms and the superb location opposite the Zoo and moments away from great shopping on the Ku'damm and you have the full picture. The Spa is quite lovely too but there needs to be no fee for using the sauna (as in the Ritz Carlton). Mary on the front desk was exceptional in her professionalism and all the staff were lovely. An underrated gem in Berlin, and very good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Wonderful location, the staff were the most helpful and friendly I've ever come across. Room was spacious and clean and the breakfast excellent. My number 1 choice of hotel in Berlin. Will definitely return. They made our stay memorable.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2013

What a treat to stay at this hotel. Every single staff we encountered were friendly & helpful; our room was spacious and seemed to be new furnishings. Breakfast was a feast. Very convenient location so we parked our car and used S-Bahn, U-Bahn and bus. Will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Very much enjoyed our five night stay at this lovely property. The only drawback is the internet. Not only is it not free, it is not particularly reliable. However, if that is not important, everything else works. The breakfast is fabulous, the location is wonderful (take the 100 bus to everything and the metro is easy to navigate, plus extensive taxi service available), shopping is very good, and the staff is very helpful. There are "touristy" restaurants in the area and the "fancy" department store has the best food department I have ever seen (better than Harrod's in London!) The air conditioning was not the best, but then again they were having a heat wave! All in all, a very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: It is a big hotel so if you can avoid being in the "wing", do so!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank eugnie05
Cork
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed at the Palace Hotel from 29 July until 2 August (v early!). Even before I arrived I was impressed, I received an email a few days beforehand asking if I had any specific requests. Reception and concierge staff were very helpful and accommodating. The room was well appointed and the air-conditioning a boon in the heat. Internet speed was variable, quicker in the morning than the evening for some reason. Breakfast was excellent in terms of choice and quality. The hotel is well-located 5 minutes from Zoo Station and the adjacent Bavarian & Lebanese restaurants were good value for money.
I had to leave early on 2 August to get a train, as I left at 5.00 a.m. I was presented with a breakfast to take with me.
All staff I encountered reflected great credit on the hotel in terms of pride in their work.
A special word of thanks to the staff in the Spa, a combination of professionalism and charm.
To my shame I have no German but all staff I encountered spoke English perfectly. Something we Irish take for granted.
I would be happy to stay at the Hotel Palace again.

Room Tip: Although my room faced onto Budapesterstrasse, I was on the Fourth Floor, room 450, and I was not no...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank ExileCork
EricFoedisch, Front Office Manager at Hotel Palace Berlin, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear ExilCork

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on this website, following your recent stay.

I am pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay with us, and that our team were able to take good care of you. Our goal is to ensure that each and every guest has a memorable experience with us, and to create a sense of being at home away from home. It is always a pleasure for me to read comments that our team did just that.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel Palace Berlin in the near future.

Kind Regards

Sebastian Brunnow
Assistant Front Office Manager
Gent
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Everything depends on what you are looking for. As I was on a business trip, the extensive wellness center is not accounted for in this review, although I guess it should add to the overall score. This is not a hotel you go to for the nice views but it is very well located, literally at the entrance of the zoo.

My room at the business floor was in line with what you would expect in a big city : relatively limited in size but intelligently furnitured.
The type of accommodation is also in line with what is offered by all large hotel chains. But, there is always that little extra that makes a big difference.

For breakfast, a huge choice was offered. From the traditional egg-and-bacon-english-breakfast over the more Scandinavian style herring preparation to the more traditional German brötchen with all kinds of cheese and meat. An extensive choice of fresh fruit and yoghurts and a somewhat limited choice of Danish pastries ends the buffet that is organized around an octagonal setting with in the middle a chef who can make you anything they might have forgotten. But what makes it really different is the quality of what is offered. The fruit was super fresh but also was perfectly ripened. I guess one senses the influence of the chef of the hotel’s Michelin star restaurant here.

Another extra that I really appreciated is the swiftness with which the room was cleaned. I put the green please-clean-the-room card out when I went for breakfast and when I came back, the room was already cleaned. Now that was impressive ! Less impressive was the dust under the bed though. (No I usually don't look under the bed unless I dropped something which roled under it ...

The bar tender is a walking reference guide for cocktails. Take one at the bar and watch him prepare it. I’m sure he will share some of his secrets.

There is a quiet business corner where you can print a small document (such as a boarding pass). Although it seems that not all staff knows about it !

More room for improvement ?
OK nothing is perfect, so where is the negative ? Well it took me a while but I have a few suggestions to make.
First, I don't understand why business hotels don't make the internet for free (or include it in the standard room price). At the Palace, you have to go through a Swisscom procedure to get access for a specific period, which does not necessarily coincide with the length of your stay. Due to the different packages, you might end up paying more per day when you stay 4 days than when you stay 3 days.
Secondly, there is some inconsistency in the ecological charter. A little card on the table next to your bed tells you that when you put the card on your bed, your bed linen will not be changed. Although I am all in favour of this, you should live up to the promise. I did not put the card there after my first night (shame on me, I had forgotten all about it before I left the room) but the linen was not changed. So what's the use of it ?
An yes, a little sign when getting out of the elevator showing the way to the room numbers would be appreciated. (The floor is perfectly symmetric so if you turn into the wrong direction, you end up doing the tour of the floor to find your room.)

However, don’t let these suggestions put you off, they are minor inconveniences. My conclusion definitely remains, great staff and great service always with that little extra that makes a difference.

I can’t comment on the restaurant as it was closed for vacation during my stay. I really would have loved to try this high ranked restaurant. Well, a good reason to go back, I guess.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Marc V
Dreieich, Germany
Reviewed July 23, 2013

A nice hotel with very nice staff, always giving you attention...maybe a little too much.
Nice rooms and the SPA was very nice, except the Sauna...which was not free for hotel guests...dont understand why.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business