“Berlin Delight” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Greystanes, Australia
“Berlin Delight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2006

Our three day stay at the Scandotel Castor in Berlin was one of the highlights of a seven week European trip. We had travelled all day by train from Paris then negotiated the new Berlin Haupbahnhof and the Metro system. So we were most impressed by the friendly welcome we received from the staff. The room whilst not huge was more than adequate: the beds soft and comfortable and the bathroom very clean and well supplied with all the necessities. I think the highlight of the stay was the breakfast. An amazing variety of food: cereals, fruit, yoghurt, ham, salami, cheese, a variety of breads etc. etc. Amount and quality outstanding. The hotel is reasonably well situated for Kufurstdam, Zoo station and the amazing KaDeWe department store where I recommend a meal in the top floor Wintergarden Cafeteria.

• Liked — Price
  • Disliked — Locality
  • Stayed September 2006
      Location
      Check in / front desk
7 Thank Joolsey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2006

In my opinion, this hotel is a great choice if you're a little adventurous. The staff is excellent, very helpful and conversant in English. They will gladly help you with tour tickets and information. Rooms are reasonable size,and in great condition (at least mine was). However, there are some things to consider. First - location. It is located on a quiet street about 3 minutes from public transportation in 2 directions.

I say this is a good pic if you are a little adventurous as this is definitely not the Ritz, or even a Crowne Plaza. My double room had 2 twin matresses on a double frame. There is only a shower and no sill so point the shower head in the wrong direction and you could end up with the entire bathroom floor wet. When I first got off the elevator I saw that the entire hallway was dark except for the emergency exits. But then noticed a light switch outside each doorway. Flip the switch and the hallway lights up!

The neighborhood is "ecclectic," to say the least, ranging from antique auction houses and ballet schools to various adult establishments. I felt very safe walking in the neighborhood at all hours of the day/night taking reasonable travel precautions. Some establishments down the street fly the rainbow flag and others have interesting names like Kitty Kat Club, but no one bothered me or tried to hustle me in any way. To me, that added to the unique experience I enjoy when traveling.

If you enjoy something a little different once in a while, I would highly recommend Scanotel Castor. I would definitely stay there again if I return to Berlin.

• Stayed March 2006
15 Thank MrBillMi
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2006

This was my third stay at the Scandotel in Berlin, I go for the film festival in February and it's so convenient, the U-bahn is a short 3 blocks away and all around me are wonderful restaurants and great gay nightlife. The staff at the front desk who speak good English and very helpful with everything from directions, laundry, sightseeing and tickets for the subway, I could not ask for more. The rooms are very well maintained and kept clean daily by a wonderful housekeeping staff. Rooms are medium size and nice for one or two persons, the shower is a little on the small side for someone over 6 foot with long arms but I managed. Rooms have mini-bars (prices are reasonable compared to most), free wireless internet throughout the hotel. I looked around and for the price I could not find a better value, I paid 60 Euro on the hotels website which did not include breakfast, which is 10 Euro. Enjoy the Scandotel.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank RandT
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2006

The hotel is situated very near Bahnhof Zoo -station. It is easy to take a local bus X9 from Tegel Airport.
The taxi costs only about 6 euros to the hotel from Zoo and after settled down you can use easily metro/tube and buses near the hotel.
The hotel is clean, nice and the stuff in the reception is very friendly. Even the cleaning ladys and janitors were nice and honest: I forgot 50 euros to my bed in a hurry and it was on the table when I got back. I was so happy because for instance In New York somedoby stole one of my jackets from a hotel room. So I have very warm feelings and I surely book Scandotel Castor again. Great hotel & reasonable rates! I almost would have wanted to keep this hotel as a secret, but however, I want to share my nice experience.

• Stayed February 2006
10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2006

stayed at this hotel mid-december 2005,staff very helpfull and friendly,rooms and ensuite bathrooms spotless,good choice of food for breakfast.a short walk brings you to the main shopping area which has a great range of shops,bars and restaurants.my friend celebrated his birthday on the 2nd day of our stay in the hotel and when he went to collect his room key that evening he was presented with a voucher for free drinks at the hotel bar for his party(4),which we all thought was a lovely gesture.
i would recommend this hotel to anyone,we all hope to go back to it soon
michael and noreen
michael and maureen
belfast
northern ireland

• Stayed December 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
co down
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2005

Hotel central to shopping area. Rooms small but clean. Staff very helpful and friendly. Eating out very reasonable.

• Stayed August 2005