“Mixed Feelings -Decent Airport Location, Poor Service.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Airport Hotel Berlin Tegel

Mercure Airport Hotel Berlin Tegel
Ranked #270 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Mixed Feelings -Decent Airport Location, Poor Service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

I have very mixed feelings about this hotel. In the last week, I've been in Berlin three different times, staying at three different hotels.

First and foremost, if you haven't flown in or out of Berlin be prepared. Tegel airport is about one of the worst in the and hopefully when the new airport opens in the next year or so, German efficiency will take on some real meaning.

If you're planning on taking the free shuttle bus to the location, what no sign, information booth or taxi driver will tell you is that you need to go to the bus stop at the airport. There are no signs for "Hotel Shuttle" or anything close, so it took three calls to the hotel to get to where I could wait 20 minutes for the shuttle.

I TRIED (operative word) to take a cab, but because the hotel is so close (on the airport grounds) the cab drivers will not take you. They are beyond rude.

FINALLY, almost an hour after my flight landed, got the shuttle bus to the hotel.

This is an OLD property dating back long before the wall came down. HOWEVER, the room was spotless, well appointed and by far a much better property than the Dorint a few miles away.

High Speed internet is available (9 EUR for 24 hours), a functional desk in the room with plenty of outlets, a couch which was ideal for laying out my luggage and a fully stocked minibar.

I was a tad worried about the airplane noise, but come midnight, there are no flights coming and going so I had a perfect nights sleep with the windows open.

PROS:

On grounds of airport, perfect if you're just waiting for a connection.
CLEAN / COMFORTABLE Rooms
WiFi Available

CONS:

HARD to get the shuttle, some wait time. Not overly obvious where to go.
Rude Bartender/Restaurant staff late at night.

Let me qualify one of my cons. After waiting an hour to get to the shuttle, I checked in and got to my room 11:30pm. I had asked the front desk when the restaurant and bar closed, I was told that the kitchen stopped serving at midnight and the bar was open until 1am.

To me (being a logical American) that tells me that at 11:45pm I should be able to order food as the kitchen was still open. NOT THE CASE. I was told that they had already closed up and was offered a cup of peanuts.

I then ordered a glass of wine from an old and mean looking bartender. I was asked .1 or .2. I guess it's the German way of asking whether I wanted a small glass of wine or a large glass. But for someone who had been traveling for eighteen hours and wanted a glass of wine, this bartender just stood there asking and I continued with a blank look on my face.

FINALLY got a glass of wine, now 11:45pm and the bartender disappears for close to 20 minutes. Got a second glass when she got back, and then was promptly handed a check for 24 Euro and was told that they were closing up. This being abut 12:10am, almost an hour before their scheduled close time.

Granted, I was the only one there, but I would expect that they stay open their posted hours.

Oh, as for the 24 EUR bill... A glass of wine was 6 EUR. Since i had the .2 pour, that counts as a second pour. So, I was charged for four full glasses of wine.

Overall..

I had a good nights sleep. Clean room, comfortable bed. But finding the shuttle and waiting the time that I did put me into a bad mood and then to have a rude waitress who wouldn't take a food order and a rude bartender who closed early really ruins this hotel.

Being a hotel at an airport and people coming and going around the clock, they really need to take a look at the services they offer and when. I would have eaten dinner and spent more money in the bar rather than go to my room hungry and have to write a poor/average review.

I am back in Berlin next week, not sure if I will stay there or not.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank CaptainMHB

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Siegen, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

After receiving the news that my flight was to depart very early in the morning from Tegel airport instead my regular departure airport on short notice I felt lucky to find this hotel conveniently close located to the airport.

Getting to Berlin (by car) did not pose any major problem. The car was parked in one of the neighbouring privately operated airport car parks and I thought I would just walk to the hotel from there. After walking around the property for some minutes and then realizing that the regular street leading to the hotel can only be reached coming from the airport I cut across the hotel´s fire department access road and over the hotel´s parking lot - not very convenient. I would have liked another entrance or even a single sign leading to the main entrance from the major road passing the hotel.

Checkin was a breeze and soon I stepped into a cozy lit spacious room. Despite the fact that while outside I could hear planes depart and arrive in two-minute intervals hardly any outside sound penetrated the windows nor the door - especially after I closed the second inner door separating the small hallway and en-suite bathroom from the room´s main area.

The night was short, I did not use the breakfast offer - even though some people would be delighted to know that croissants, fruit, tea & coffee are available from as early as 4.00 a.m. and the regular breakfast buffet opens at 5.00 a.m - but stepped outside to a very crisp morning and ... missed the shuttle bus.
Unfortunately only one other guest had arrived for pickup until the shuttle returned and I feared the shuttle would wait until filled again - none so. Just a few minutes (5-10) later I entered Terminal B at Tegel airport without any problems.

I did not use the restaurant and thus cannot comment on this. Being early November neither did I use the outdoor pool - I think it was closed already. Nor did I use the gym.

I just did use the hotel for what I intended it to be used for - a good night´s sleep before an early dawn flight. Considering this the hotel was excellent.

What I did not like was the pay-to-use WiFi (lucky me brought my own mobile UMTS router with me) and the strange brownish-reddish sticky spots all over the doorframe ... I don´t want to know what kind of substance this was. Despite this I found my room to be clean and comfortly designed, offering all I needed for the night.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed here b/c of a 6:30 am departure from TXL.

Many of the reviews have already commented that TXL is on its path to retirement.

Considering the fact that business is probably going to change within a year, I had been expecting the hotel to less kept up than it was. But was pleasantly surprised: while not much from the outside, the inside like lobby area, bar, and restaurant area, was well done and kept up neatly. So was the room. Everything worked, was clean, and of pleasant design; not the usual Accor sterile operation room feeling actually. We had a room for three people, which was ready when we checked in, one double bed and two rollaway singles, which all had a good back support and were set with the appropriate number of pillows, towels etc. Well Done!

Unfortunately, the shower gel dispenser was empty. For Berlin the staff relatively pleasant.
Thus, an overall pretty good stay experience.

The only big caveat I would have: we selected this place in the expectation that we would be directly at the airport, i.e. in walking distance, which I strongly believe it is NOT. The street to the hotel is scarcely lit, if at all. It has no sidewalk and on a rainy day like ours it is full of puddles that have the size of small ponds... Once you get to the main artery into TXL, you have to walk through a tunnel along a two lane highway that is often backed up.

Thus, realistically speaking, you are dependent on the shuttle bus.

The bus starts to run at 5 am, which already cuts it quite close to the 6:++ am departures. Considering that the shuttle has only 7 passenger seats, you might end up standing in line outside the hotel for a number of tours of the shuttle while the time passes, your time to check in and to get to the gate gets ever so smaller and your fellow patrons in line get increasingly aggravated. But yes, it's still the closest hotel to TXL and the shuttle driver doesn't stick to q10 min only tour schedule until there is not any longer a line.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Finke
Hillsborough, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

This hotel was very convienent from the airport with a short 10 minute shuttle ride. The front desk personnel were friendly. The breakfast in the morning was typical buffet style breakfast found in many European hotels. The rooms were nice with comfortable beds.

The biggest problem was the first day there we work up without hot water. And then later on in the morning we had no water at all. There was never a call or announcement about this, nor was there an apology. Management could have handled this better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

If you need to catch an early flight out of Tegel, this is a good option. The hotel is well hidden in a wooded area about a kilometer from the airport. They run a regular shuttle bus, but it is only a ten minute walk to the terminal. The rooms are clean, functional and comfortable. There is a good internet wi-fi connection, but at a charge. The breakfast buffet open as early as 5 am, so you can get something to eat even before the worst red-eye flight.

1 Thank PHR67
Washngton, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here twice, each time for overnighters between flights in and out of Tegel Airport, Berlin, Germany. The hotel is modern, efficient, attractive and very reasonably priced (we booked it on the Accord website). The restaurant is attractive with good prices (we didn't have the breakfast buffet, just lunch and dinner), the rooms comfortable and clean, and there is a shuttle to the airport on request (it is easier just to catch a taxi from the airport to the hotel as there are no scheduled pickups or if you don't know where the pick up point is). The hotel is on the airport grounds, but it is a bit too far to walk with bags. I love that there is a separate door inside the room which helps to block out noise from the hall at night and keeps the room nice and quiet inside. They have two complimentary computers in the lobby. We didn't use the gym or sauna and the outdoor pool was closed for the season. Don't know what the hotel will do with Tegel Airport closes sometime next year, but it would be a shame if they have to close, too. This is our first time in a Mercure hotel, and we were pleasantly impressed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Coconut Creek, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

This hotel is perfect if you need to stay close to the airport. Very clean & comfortable rooms. Free shuttle to the airport from 5:00 am till 11:30 pm, it's only about 5 to 10 minutes from airport. Staff was very helpful in giving direction for a good place to eat in town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family