“Could be 5 stars”

Hotel Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre
Ranked #83 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed for 6 nights. We arrived just before 2pm and were checked in by the fantastic Mr T Hauswald. It was one of the best check ins I have ever experienced. He welcomed us to Berlin and the hotel and explained everything about the hotel. Crowne Plaza Berlin he is an asset although all the staff that we encountered were very friendly.
We quickly located our room which was a junior suite on the third floor. The room was very clean and everything was in order. One room had a couch and the other the bed and here is the reason that this could be 5 stars. I had booked a king suite which was in fact two singles put together which we have had before in other hotels and never been a problem however the bedside lights are set for two beds so when they put the beds together the lights are in the middle of the bed and the light switches are at pillow level which meant that several times during the night my husband would move in the bed and turn on the lights. Very annoying.
Anyway the breakfast was very good with plenty of choices although it was busy on the Sunday morning but they opened up two annex rooms so that people could sit.
The area of this hotel is second to none. Turn right out of the hotel and you are at the zoo , turn left and you are at the KaDeWE and the Ku'Dam shopping area. The area has many eateries from sandwich shops to restaurants.
I believe they are refurbishing the hotel so hopefully the room and light situation will be sorted but all in all this is a great hotel and I would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Holland737
Write a ReviewReviews (2,442)

Reviewed February 28, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in February. We arrived 9:30 P.M and the welcoming feeling were in the air. The reception staff was very good and with a big smile.
The room was excellent, spacious, and warm. The room and bathroom were fully equipped with all amenities. They were very clean.
The breakfast was one of the best I have ever had. The staff was very friendly, and eager to help. We were greeted by everybody with a smile and with the magic words of good morning and with a real welcoming feeling.
The location of the hotel is very good and at least 3-4 major u and bus stations are located within minutes from the hotel.
I would recommend the hotel to change the Wi-Fi charging policy. It seems very high (4 euro/hour, 12/day) and I think it should be free for hotel guests. We didn't used it and enjoyed the free Wi-Fi of other locations.
Overall, smiling and helpful staff, nice rooms, best location, good breakfast. You don't need for more.
THANK-YOU

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank HAIM1108
Reviewed February 27, 2014

I booked the room and it was all pre paid , on arrival I found out I have to pay 4.30£ for each day of my stay.
my room was booked with one queen bed , when I went inside the room it wasn't just 2 single beds pushed together, I asked to move to a different room staff said no ....!!!!
I have been told children eat breakfast free, I was charged everyday 6.5£ for my son breakfast. most of the staff are new wearing these trainee badge , not enough info about the hotel facilties.
I've to the bar lounge , the bartender didn't know what is the cider ..?? I asked to recommend any of the cocktails , he said he can't as he doesn't know my taste.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Maria T
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Dear Maria T,

Regards,

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I booked using my priority points and found the sleep quality excellent. Good central location only a few minutes walk from Wittenbergplatz U-bahn. Breakfast good although only scrambled eggs offered unless you paid extra.
Good amenities in the room. As a platinum member I was upgraded to a 7th floor room but with all the noise of renovations I asked to move and was given a less grand room on the 3rd floor (but no noise!). Staff were all courteous, efficient and friendly. Top marks to the waitress who brought me a cup of tea without asking - she recognised me from the previous day.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I have stayed already 4 times at the Crowne Plaza in 4 different years, this time I decided to write a review since there is nothing changing amid the reviews already written by many guests.
The Crowne Plaza is Very good for :
- Location
- Reception
- Breakfast
- Staff
The average side to this hotel are the room's looks and feel (it may be modernized, but it really feels old). The bath tub is specially annoying to me, as it's narrow, the double curtain for the shower sticks to anything wet specially your body.
It's time for a face lift and a change of carpets.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Mnassduce
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Crowne Plaza Berlin City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Maleknass,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We are delighted to read you are a regular visitor to the hotel. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed February 8, 2014

This hotel is nicely located, public areas are good - modern and trendy. I found the staff courteous and efficient and overall very good. The one let down is the rooms are rather tired. There has been some work to spruce them up, and they are clean and reasonable size (I had an executive one, which had usual bits and bobs one would expect). I guess part of the problem is the era in which they were constructed but I have seen these 1970's blocks transformed (such as in Chicago) I have also seen what a full refit can achieve (Marlow uk for example) but for a hotel in a capital city it is somewhat of an enigma - one expects a very high standard, but as in London I accept compromises on room space etc. I'd stay here again as a functional business hotel, for a romantic interlude I'd save up and stay at the Hyatt down the road.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank bear12345
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Area: couldn´t be better. Just 200m from the next Metro Station, 300m from the "Ku`damm" THE shopping avenue with affordable and less affordable shops. 300m from the hop on and hop off bus station (costs €20 per Person). Parking €15 per day at the hotel garage.

Hotel: 4 Stars - very nice lobby-lounge with possibilty of ordering snacks. The breakfast room is in fact the restaurant "Wilson" at night, knowm for its Ribeye steaks (costly!!).
Book the breakfast in package as the price in the hotel is € 16 (which I find to costly). But once again, there was all one could want from cereals, to scramble eggs etc...Plates were removed immediatly and with a friendly smile.
Pool for guest free, Sauna with extra charge. I can´t say anything about the seating possibilities outside as it was snowing!

Service: perfect. Very friendly reception, not overboard as sometime the case. The Berliners have humor also!
First time ever I was offered to check-in at 09:00 a.m. without any extra charge.

Rooms: I booked a standard room, normal size for a town hotel. I had a room on the first floor, which made it a bit dark. The furniture are a bit old fashion and young people would probably prefer a designer hotel, BUT all the amenities from cosmetic mirror to toiletteries, to ironing table (unusual in Europe), kettle, safe, bathrobes, all was there, nothing missing!
The first day, housekeeping forgot to make our rooms, after a phonecall to the reception, it was done immediatly! So, nothing to say about that either.

I certainly felt very good in that hotel and will cetainly book it again when again in Berlin!

Room Tip: Breakfast should be booked within the package.