“Honestly, one of the best hotel stays I've ever had”
Review of H10 Berlin Ku'damm

H10 Berlin Ku'damm
Ranked #36 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“Honestly, one of the best hotel stays I've ever had”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We were in Berlin for a friend's birthday and, having booked last minute and it being the hotel my friend had chosen, I hadn't really researched the hotel much and didn't have any expectations.

We were completely blown away.

The hotel itself is BEAUTIFUL. Cool, automatic doors open (a bit like lift doors) as you enter off the street. Then, climbing the stairs, the glass doors at the top open automatically and you're in the stunning foyer. Already it feels like a luxurious and elegant space. The foyer area is so well designed - great art and sculpture and lighting. Feels like a design museum but in a comfortable (definitely not pretentious) way.

The reception staff (and the bar staff actually) were just amazing. Super knowledgeable and helpful, and nothing was too much trouble. I ran out of milk (they have little Nespresso machines in the room - a real treat) and I asked for some more on our way out to explore. When we came back there was a whole plate of them waiting by the machine. They very quickly brought up two champagne glasses from the bar when we requested them. Every time we asked for directions or recommendations they couldn't do enough to help us.

The room itself was lovely. Spacious, very "Scandinavian" feeling. Cool but comfortable. The beds were comfy, everything worked, the bathroom was well-appointed. The shower was amazing - one of those rain showers. Great selection of toiletries and the bathroom mirror was one of those where the mirror doesn't steam up. Just a little touch but makes all the difference.

I really, really loved this hotel. I'd come back to Berlin just to stay here again. I promptly signed up to the H10 loyalty programme (had never heard of H10 hotels before but believe they're a Spanish chain) and would love to try some of their other hotels if they're all up to this standard.

I would have expected it to be twice as expensive. Easily. An absolute bargain.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GracemcCarter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, NSW, Australia
Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

The staff can make or break a hotel, and Norbert and his crew were welcoming, amusing and helpful. Norbert in particular really made our stay memorable.

The hotel itself is contemporary and well located. I enjoyed the design of our standard room and would have liked it even more if there had been tea making facilities.

Most of the other reviews have got it covered so let me close by saying that I would gladly stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank aussiepiper
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Interesting place. Sits right next to the highly rated Concord hotel. Rooms and common areas look really nice, and very European, all new looking. Beds comfy. My room is at the back, off the main street and very quiet, nice soundproofing. Windows open. I got the basic room, so it's not so large on a US scale, but it's bigger than my bedrooms and bathrooms at home, so bad there. But it's not like you get acres of space as you can in US-brand hotels, and for 2 people some may complain.

Food at breakfast was tasty and nice. Service at reception was good, and have fluent English speakers. (never got to check out the gym)

But...

On closer examination it looks a bit like it was built to a budget or using budget builders. (this is a quite new building). For example, bathroom has shower into the bath, and in my room there is a nice glass partition on the side of the bath that prevents the floor from getting wet, and hinged for easier access into the bath. But that leaves a gap between glass and wall by the showerhead, which means you get a puddle in the middle of your bathroom floor. You don't get the 1,000 towels you get in US hotels, you get enough, but you may have to sacrifice one to stop that puddle forming.

Also, this place seems to have been built without the standard warm water pumping system that makes hot water immediately available in all rooms. Took a minute to get warm sometimes. This isn't a problem at all, and I only mention it here because the water temperature could fluctuate a little. Only a little, not enough to make you jump or anything, but just something I noticed all the time and made me wonder about the quality goals during construction.

Looking at the finish in the bathroom, if you think the mirror over the sink, which is not flush with the wall, means you have a cupboard behind the mirror, like you have at home, you pull the mirror and may find it wasn't fully attached to the wall, and pull too hard, it could come off !!

Painting in the bathroom also gets on the glass doors, and some water damage could be seen

Another bugaboo with lots of places, so not unique here, no clocks in the room.

Others have mentioned the poor wi-fi reception in the rooms too.

On breakfast, a nice bar, nice selection of food. But, while I was there, it was damn difficult to get any coffee or other service. Maybe because I didn't speak German, but I never had any waitress/waiter for one entire meal, and that was 40 mins.

So, to sum up. Very comfy place, I paid 20 Euro less, or more, than going to the Concord. Very quiet, nice, relaxing etc. But you notice why you are paying less, so, for me, there's no reason I'd come back here, rather than go back to other hotel's I've stayed at in same area of Berlin, like the Ellington, or the Concord.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back could be quieter, but I couldn't tell given I've not stayed in both :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Located near main train station easy access to airports on airport express for a few euros and next to zoo which is great if u have time. On main bus link as well for tourist sites. Christmas market and road up to KaDeWe is shoppers paradise- good mix of high street and high quality - Diesel to H&M - all in 1 street. Must have cocktail or visit food hall at KaDeWe - awesome! H10 staff (norbert) were great! Made our engagement weekend so special - room not ready as we arrived early - free upgrade and use of executive lounge while waiting. Spa on site but location is great with some great high end restaurants nearby with some cheaper options also for those on a budget, well worth it and location meant walking, bus or trains easy too... 10/10!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Sam T
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed January 3, 2013 via mobile

Supergreat hotel! NICE&beautifulinterior, very carefully chosen, in an old school building. Very bright&welcoming. Our room had 3 windows that lead to the back, very quiet, fresh air when opening the window. the room size was awesome, not small like in some other hotels. most comfiest bed EVER! VERY clean room-we accidentally spilled some water upon arriving&when weaping it off the floor with a cleen-ex the tissue actually remeine white!;) nothing was lacking, there was even a scale in the bathroom.
Only 2 things, there could be 2 sets of showergel in the bathroom for a double room&also the gown was only delivered upon request.
Very friendly personnel, great info at check-in where ur also given a city map. Free wi-fi, internet terminal in the lobby if u need an actual computer. I was given an umbrella when it started raining:) the receptionist even looked up the nearest starbucks for me&their opening times:)
Also the location is just AWESOME, the U-Bahn station (subway) is literally next door&there's PLENTY of restaurants, cafés, food places (incl.stands)&stores to eat out&shop in the Ku'damm area. Also the Bahnhof Zoo is down the street in walking distance, very convenient when travelling by bus or train. The airport is easily accessible too&the cab ride is only €20. The cab the reception called for me was there in only 2mins.
Everything was lovely, I'll defintely be back!
Only the breakfast could be included in the room price but I guess the sauna - which I didn't get to try&will tell u about after my next trip:) - makes up for that;)

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Anita M
London, England
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel with my mum for 3 nights. We had gone to Berlin to see the Christmas markets. It was the perfect location - right on the main shopping street and also so close to the metro.

The room was very comfortable. The only (minor) criticisms I have are that
1- there were no coffee/tea making facilities in the room. But we asked if we could have a kettle and were provided with one for the duration of our stay.
2 - we had to ask for slippers as there weren't any in the room.
3 - the shower was not very good. The water was hot but the pressure seemed to be really poor and as a result washing my hair was a bit annoying

Breakfast was not included in our room rate so I paid 18 euros per day per person. I was pleasantly surprised when at checkout I was told that it would be reduced for 15 euro as if I had have bought breakfast coupons up front I would have been given the reduced rate of 15 rather than 18 - I thought that was really honest of the front desk staff. Even so, 15 euros is quite expensive but they do have a great selection of hot and cold foods and also the service is brilliant. The breakfast staff were very attentive and polite.

I probably would stay here again as the price was very reasonable considering the fantastic location.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank travelgirl1981
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Like the other reviewers, I stayed at the hotel for the Christmas markets. The location was perfect, close to the Zoo station and a block away from the busy Ku'Damm Street. Travelling with a family member, I booked a "Single Deluxe" room for myself and another for my relative. Although I was hesitant that a "single" room would be tiny, the room was perfectly fine, and did not feel cramped at all. The room was spotless upon arriving and after daily maid service.

The bed was very comfortable, although I could understand how it could be a bit stiff for some people's preferences. WiFi was excellent. I did not have any problem connecting and speeds seemed great. The WiFi code provided at check-in last two days, but there were never any issues/problems getting another code after the first one expired. Hotel staff were very friendly, helpful, and all spoke English. I thought the breakfast was fantastic, however, it is probably only a good value if purchased in a bed and breakfast package. Although as tasty and expansive as it was, the breakfast probably isn't worth its €18 stand-alone price.

Although I wouldn't use the word "spa" to describe the hotel's sauna/steam facilities, they were more than adequate (sauna, steam, and relaxation areas) for relaxing after a chilly day outside exploring the Christmas markets. Bathrobes and slippers were available from the front desk upon request.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family