Arco Hotel
Ranked #301 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed October 3, 2012

We had the pleasure of staying at the Arco Hotel in Berlin for one week in the middle of September 2012. We couldn’t have been happier with our experience while there.

The hotel and the room itself was spotlessly clean throughout. Our room was cleaned daily and the bed made, but towels were only replaced about every three days or so. The mattresses on our beds were enclosed in soft plastic covers of some kind, which is an excellent sanitary measure.

The Arco was excellent value for money: for a very reasonable rate we were lucky enough to get a very spacious double room in the corner of the top floor. It may be more accurate to say the size of the room boarded on a small suite, as it had a seating area with chairs, a coffee table and a good-sized couch that converted into two more beds. A desk, lamp, TV, clock radio and direct-dial phone were also provided in the room, as well as a wardrobe big enough for two guests. There was also a safe in the room for storage of valuables. The bathroom had been recently renovated and was very modern. Lots of hot water and water pressure. Hair dryer and shaving mirror provided. Wi-Fi is available but it’s not free: we paid €5.00 each for the duration of our one-week stay. The Wi-Fi signal was strong enough but every time we powered on our devices we had to log back into the Internet – a minor inconvenience, but this may be an intended security measure on the part of the wireless service provider the hotel uses (“Hotsplots”). If you need your laundry cleaned during your stay, the hotel has a daily service, arranged through Reception.

There is a lift to the upper floors (all-glass elevator), which is very helpful when you have a lot of luggage. The hotel seemed very safe - guests are provided a key which opens the front door as well as your room; any guests without a key must be buzzed in by the hotel staff. There is a comfortable lounge with chairs and newspapers, and a computer equipped with high-speed Internet and printer. The dining room (with newspapers supplied) opens to a beautiful leafy and quiet courtyard where there are several dining tables. Weather permitting, you can enjoy your breakfast in the peaceful courtyard. If you have a hearty appetite in the morning, the breakfast at the Arco is definitely the place to be. Every morning during our stay there was a plentiful and varied selection of food including: juices, coffee, tea, cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit, sliced cheeses, bacon, sausage, boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, platters of sliced meats, fish, different types of multi-grain and whole wheat breads, jams and various spreads. All delicious.

The general quiet of this hotel is amazing and we did not hear our neighbours at all. In general, it’s so peaceful in both the surrounding Schöneberg area and the hotel itself that you would not believe you are staying in a large urban centre. The hotel is on a quiet, green and leafy street; very calming to return to at the end of each day. We slept soundly with the windows wide open every night and experienced very little noise. The hotel is surrounded by many convenient amenities: there is a “Lotto” corner store about two minutes down the street, the incredible “Saigon and More” restaurant further down Geisbergstrasse, and the Viktoria-Luise-Platz and Nollendorfplatz U-Bahn stations are each a few minutes walk away.

Every staff member here was fantastic during our stay; friendly and helpful. We were given a very warm welcome upon initial arrival and every subsequent return to the hotel at a day’s end. Staff cheerfully assisted with any sightseeing plans or questions, and later efficiently arranged our airport taxi on departure day. Staff are completely fluent in English (some are trilingual) so if you are unilingual with nearly non-existent German skills (like me), you will have no problem communicating at the hotel.

In my opinion this hotel is truly a gem, and it made our fantastic trip to Berlin that much more enjoyable. If you’re like us and don’t care for the big chain hotels but just want a place that’s safe, clean, quiet, friendly, centrally-located and affordable, I highly recommend the Arco Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner courtyard are extremely quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CanuckTraveller07

Reviewed June 13, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel on three occasions after it was recommended to me by a travel agent friend in San Francisco for its great value, location and hospitality. The staff is simply terrific, both charming and helpful to a high degree. The breakfasts served in the splendid breakfast room and, when the weather permits, in a delightful garden are superb, an excellent start to the day, and we always appreciate the variety of daily newspapers that are available here. If I have one complaint, it is that the wardrobe in each room is on the small side for two travelers. Other than that, I can recommend this hotel very highly. One additional feature: it's on a tree-lined street in a lovely Berlin neighborhood that is surprisingly quiet. Also, check out the nearby SAIGON Vietnamese restaurant, one of the most astonishing and scrumptious menus you can find anywhere in the world with one totally amazing owner-host.

Room Tip: I personally prefer the rooms on the front of the hotel because I like a darker, tree-shaded room; t...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank DougBeard
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Ist not the first time that we book this hotel (9 th) in a quiet street and very nice breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank donrei
Reviewed November 6, 2011

Very helpful staff, room rate includes breakfast every morning. Hotel located just a few blocks from U-bahn station ..

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank travelguy9663
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My stay at Arco Hotel started with a pleasant surprise since the director, Mr. Osterloh, gave me a double room for the price of the single room booked. I appreciated this nice gesture because the room was not only spacious but also at the end of the corridor. So I enjoyed perfect silence during the night. This room was directed to the inner court full of trees and may be one of the very few hotel rooms in the centre of Berlin where traffic is virtually inaudible. In order not to raise too high expectations I must admit that the house itself is not fully sound-proof. Actually, quite some noise results if somebody flushes the toilet or walks around in the room above. Thus, the silence I experienced was due to a large extent also to the considerate behaviour of the other guests.

My room was modern, in best condition and spotless. It was definitely of much higher standard than one would expect in such a moderately priced hotel. The room was equipped with a king-size double bed and a flat screen TV with 16 channels, including BBC and CNN. I would have preferred the mattress and pillow of the bed to be firmer, but this is an issue of personal preferences. Apart from that, my only minor criticism regards the illumination of the desk, which is not really appropriate for reading.

Of course, the breakfast buffet of this small hotel cannot compete with that of hotels of hundreds of rooms. However, I did not miss anything and was even offered freshly boiled eggs. On top of all that, Arco Hotel is situated in a nice and calm residential area garnished with some decent restaurants.

I may have had particular luck, which cannot be taken for granted. At any rate, I enjoyed a perfect stay and exceptional value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms directed to the inner court prefereably not too close to the staircase are quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2011

I would definitely recommend this hotel for friends or couples who wish to visit Berlin. The rooms are spacious, well maintained, with high ceilings. Breakfast can be taken outside on the terrace surrounded by a lovely garden when the weather permits it. The only downside would be the fact that Internet is really slow.

The hotel is also well located, not far from the KaDeWe and close to the subway stations.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 30, 2010

We stayed at the Arco in late September. Without the traumatic ending to our stay this would doubtless have been a fairly run of the mill review, agreeing with most of the positive points made by others & mentioning one or two downsides to be aware of.

Firstly this was a wonderfully quiet hotel in a pleasant, calm & safe area of a busy capital city. The breakfast was good. The poor pillows had been recently replaced, not to UK standards but bearable. There were no problems with the ‘do not disturb’ sign being ignored or noisy cleaners.

I had contacted the hotel (on the strength of reviews here) before booking as I sleep v badly: the owner I spoke to didn’t bend over backwards to help but did, with encouragement, manage to juggle his rooms so that we had a top floor room to the back which indeed meant I could sleep.

There was an slightly neurotic atmosphere under the surface ‘in the air’ around reception on our first morning, hard to put your finger on, which meant that after breakfast, when I was still tired & disorientated, & seeking general help & guidance my inept attempts turned into a weird sort of a row, because M Viguié was troubled by my ‘neediness’ & kept zapping back to his beloved computer rather than trying to decipher my requirements & offer general assistance: where to start & nearest Tourist Office etc. I even morphed into speaking French, which wasn’t that easy for me, in an attempt to at least make an effort on my part. This was ignored & the interchange became a low key row despite that. This meant that I dreaded any further encounter for the rest of our stay, which was a shame. It had a knock on effect on my interchanges with Herr Osterloh, as I was on edge & bent over backwards not to be ‘a nuisance’, which shouldn’t really be an overriding factor in one’s dealings with hotel staff. I have good friends who run 2 hotels, and am very aware of the other side of the coin, & know how true professionals process their frustration or annoyance away from their paying guests!!

As two small asides – the main thing that was missing from the rooms from a female perspective was a mirror, aside of the bathroom cabinet one, possibly a full length one being the most helpful [not in the corridors or lift either]. We both found that the shower was fiendishly hard to adjust to a median temperature going from pretty cold to very hot in a millimetre.

However the area around the hotel had a nice selection of echten bars, a friendly Italian deli, the lovely Viktoria Louis Platz, KaDeWe [one phrase – cakes in the roof] luxury Department store, the option of 2 metro stations and above all the glorious Saigon & More, a Vietnamese restaurant just over the road, see sep. review, which you really should visit, even if it seems incongruous on a short stay in Berlin.

I have waited this long to review Arco because of the near catastrophic ending to our stay, needing some distance to judge the tenor of my remarks. Given we departed on the Berlin Marathon weekend [my advice to anyone travelling to Berlin is to avoid this weekend at all costs] & had to catch an overnight sleeper to Budapest at the Hauptbahnhof on the Saturday evening, I made a special effort consult Herr Osterloh about a taxi booking, as the metro journey was particularly awkward, & we’d have heavy luggage to manhandle. It was supposed to be our ‘treat’ to make life easier. How wrong can one be!! The taxi was booked by the hotel owner in front of me, mentioning all the salient facts & adding that we could also catch the train at the Sudbahnhof, if the driver judged that to be wiser when he collected us, depending on his experience of the traffic during the early evening. Huh!!

We returned to the hotel an hour before our taxi was due, collected our belongings kept safely for us, repacked a bit & waited. I chatted for a while, in French as far as I remember, with the lady receptionist on duty & even jokingly said that I would now begin to be nervous about 10 minutes before the taxi was due, she assured me she would be the same. I’m not surprised!!

In summary we waited a good 5 minutes after the due time before the receptionist rang the taxi firm. As it was a Saturday night, getting through took a while. She asked about our taxi. The replies seemed a bit vague. She asked the taxi firm to ring back with precise information; that took a while. The clock was definitely ticking!! The ensuing conversation in German, which I understood, was not encouraging. Her comment was that the taxi should keep coming but we would also look for alternatives. This was her crucial mistake. She should have either handed me the telephone or on my behalf insisted that the nearest taxi was diverted immediately to collect us as we had a long distance train to catch & time was running out.

It is hard for me to describe the next half hour. It was pouring with rain. My husband stood at a nearby relatively quiet intersection, in the middle of the road, attempting not to give in to desperation, & trying to flag down any rare taxis, to no avail. The receptionist, having given up ringing any other taxis almost instantly saying it was a busy Saturday evening, stood outside the hotel under a huge umbrella – gallic shrug all but visible looking for a non-existent taxi.

I stood with our luggage by reception, looking again at the timetable to check when the train stopped at the Sudbahnhof – now our only hope - & finally went out in the rain, and tantamount to ‘hijacked’ an ordinary motorist who had the misfortune to park outside, my German breaking down under the strain of our situation. I won’t go into the details here – there really is plenty more, including the eventual € 50 bribe my husband resorted to. We finally drew up to the Sudbahnhof at a 3rd attempt as each car-entrance was blocked by building work, and ran like demented soaked dervishes into the side entrance of the station where there were of course no boards to indicate where our train was due to draw in any second NOW!!!!

So this was really a near disaster, made worse as we knew there’d have been no beds in Berlin that night. My husband felt that as the booking was made by the hotel – we assumed with the company they always used – the Arco management would at the very least express real regret at our unfortunate experience, and hopefully be the conduit for some form of complaint to the taxi firm; my husband felt he had a right to demand our € 50 back.

On our return I sent Herr Osterloh one simple sentence asking for a comment on our unpleasant experience. He didn’t even bother to reply. My husband then typed a full email spelling out how he felt. The tone of the eventual reply really shocked us; the opening sentence was: ‘there is still high season and some guests can be quite demanding, so we are really busy at the moment.’ What does this mean? That most guests are a time-consuming pain? That they don’t have time for a courteous reply? That really it was us who had been unacceptably ‘demanding’? It ended with this disclaimer: ‘.we are not responsable (sic) for a taxi driver or the service of the agency.’ Surely if the hotel books using their regular firm & a customer is SO badly let down, the hotel can be a vital intermediary in these circumstances, without taking full responsibility. Saying that: ‘Apart from that Mrs. M had done, what she could do and said (sic), what was to say. She complained to the agency and advised you to do the same.’ Just saying ‘that’s not very good’ over the phone doesn’t count as a complaint in my book. This is tantamount to a brush off – it is very hard to complain in another language from far away!!

So yes by all means use the Arco for all the reasons indicated on Trip Advisor [I decided to click 'recommend to a friend' with the following proviso] but be aware the owners live quite far away, have no car to help in an emergency & are not inclined to go the extra mile during or after a serious mishap!! There is an underlying attitude to guests as time-consuming inconveniences that makes me feel justified in including this sad ending to our stay as part of my review.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple