“simply delicious”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Charlottenburg
Reviewed July 2, 2014

we accidentally found this place which was close to our hotel. we enjoyed genuine german cuisine, great beer, friendly and patient waiters who took their time to explain the menu which is quite versatile . fair prices and great value for your money.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

If you are looking for unpretentious and not "touristy" place to experience real German food and pub atmosphere - this is it. Conveniently located yet off the main street, with a genuine local pub atmosphere. Excellent outdoor seating (weather permitting) on a quiet street, great authentic food - from salted herrings to roasted pork with sauerkraut, good selection of beers. Very reasonable prices.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Dickie Wirtin's was very close to our B&B in Berlin and was recommended by the B&B. We ate there twice. The first time for lunch and we chose the sidewalk seating. I had delicious German-style potato soup, with bread of course; and my husband had the weiner schnitzel. It was also very good. Like most restaurants in Germany, my bottled water was more pricy than my husband's beer! But the water was so necessary! On our last night in Germany we decided to go back to Dickie's for one final "German" meal. We ate inside (temps had cooled down). It is a very German-like bar with some seating for dining. We eat early so when we saw all of the reserved signs on tables, we asked. They were all for after 7pm! We ate and were done well before the reserved times. (This happened in more than one restaurant. If you see it in a German restaurant, ask. They can usually fit you in.) At our evening meal, we both enjoyed a German beer. I tried the schnitzel and my husband got the beef with onions. My schnitzel hung off the sides of a 12" plate! No way could I eat all of it! It came with potato salad (not my favorite, but good), a small salad on the plate, and a small cup of gerhkin pickles, sliced. Very delicious! A good memory of Berlin and Germany.

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Dick Wirtin is very popular with tourists so it is probably best to book. It is really a bar which serves traditional German food from a fairly small menu. The portions are huge so make sure you are ready to eat when you go. I ordered roast beef with onions as over our stay in Berlin I was feeling quite porked out. Unfortunately the beef was so tough I couldn't cut through it. The meal was exchanged without fuss and with good grace. The replacement was far superior. My partner had roast pork with red cabbage and potato dumplings. No complaints there except for being unable to eat it all due to the portion size.
Service is a bit haphazard but willing. The place was quite busy when we went.
The cost is good value but it isn't really a fine dining experience. You get what you pay for I suppose. We sat outside as the inside was hot and stuffy. The interior has seen better days but it seems to thrive as a traditional bar rather than an up market eatery.

Reviewed June 19, 2014

This restaurant (pub style) was quite close to our hotel (Am Steinplatz - see rave review) and was recommended by the concierge when we asked for somewhere traditional.
Very busy when we arrived and hot inside, we managed to secure a table. Our waiter was excellent throughout, giving recommendations on the food and the beer. We skipped mains having been warned about the portion size, and enjoyed immensely the [huge] schnitzel, and the roast pork with red cabbage and dumplings. The table adjacent to us fell into the trap of ordering mains and sides - which prompted some friendly banter when the two of them were faced with a mountain of food to eat.
Highly recommended for a genuine experience and great value.