“Very good, though not quite "fine dining"”
Review of E.T.A Hoffmann

E.T.A Hoffmann
Ranked #1,112 of 8,590 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: German
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Kreuzberg
Oslo, Norway
“Very good, though not quite "fine dining"”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We had the 4 course menu with accompanying wine and a champagne aperitif for a total of €78 per person. The courses were all quite good and the wines excellent, but not Michelin star worthy, the only real letdown was overcooked salmon (when you serve Norwegian salmon to Norwegians, you better now how to cook it).

Visited January 2013

“Perfect in every way”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My godparents were staying at the hotel and were reluctant to eat here, because they were not impressed with the breakfast, but 4 of us ate here before the symphony last night and it was excellent. The staff rounded up a big pillow for my god others bad back, and brought some steak tartar gratis before our clean and flawless meal of rockfish and hen. Portions not too small or large-- just right.

• Visited September 2012
Berlin, Germany
“Beautifully executed, spartanly decorated”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Excellent highly produced multi course meals in a rather spartan hotel first floor. I had a four course prix fixe menu which was amazing for approx 46 euro. It's high end for sure but not priced quite as high as some of the other restaurants looking for their first Michelin star. Service was delightfully charming.

• Visited July 2012
gerolstein, new zealand
“A Tale of Hoffman's”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

..... However, last night it was restaurant time. My wedding present to Thomas and Pablo was ‘dinner wherever you like’. Chuckle, I knew they wouldn’t choose a Turkish takeaway! So last night we – the newlyweds, Paul and I -- repaired to E T A Hoffmann’s restaurant in the Yorckstrasse, Kreuzberg. Half-an-hour’s stroll through the rain-spattered streets from Schöneberg …

It is a pleasant place, discreetly and warmly decorated, we were given a very nice table, in a window bay, and were attended upon very graciously by the team of two young women and a lad who would care for us in a nicely leisurely fashion for the next 2 ½ hours.

The menu immediately gives one confidence. You can have 3 or 4 courses, with their choice of wines (or without), and the choice in each course is sophisticatedly limited to four or five items. I decided to go the whole hog. Four courses. Beginning with a leisurely pernod.

For a starter, I had (‘stunned’!) duck. This is what it looked like. Encouraging, eh?

Well, it fulfilled its promise. The flesh, cooked, as you can see, in three different ways (all delicious), was tender, moist and not duck-fatty, and the purée of ?pois chiche was a grand accompaniment. I even ate the greenery, which I thought a bit under-classy. Something more original than lettuce would have been nice.

I followed up with veal kidney as entrée. One of my favourite dishes, but a weeny bit disappointing. A nice helping, firm and tasty, with a not very significant sauce. I would have just like a little taste tweak (NOT tomato) in there somewhere.

Then the main course. Triumph. I – the New Zealander – ordered lamb. I checked with the lady first: it WOULD come super-rare? She checked. It would. It did. It was beautiful. On the left, braised lamb, soft and falling apart: on the right, the pink-red cutlet … absolutely perfect! A sort of ratatouille julienne underneath I could take or leave (ordinary lentils would have taken the juice better) but that lamb -- from northern Germany it seems -- was some of the best I have ever tasted.
Paul had monkfish, the groom and groom had baby venison, and we were all very happy.

The others ventured into crême brulée and clafoutis (both of which got top votes) for dessert, while I opted for my usual cheese and port. The cheese was unadventurous but palatable, the port nice. But I wished I’d had the very good-looking crème brulée.

Our dinner was accompanied by a selection of German wines: mine beginning with a soft riesling, rising to a stouter chardonnay, and climaxing in an excellent pinot noir. I was pleased to see (chardonnay with kidneys) that the old saw about red with this and white with that has gone.

So all in all, a highly pleasant meal, in pleasant surroundings, pleasantly served, and in very special company. And how does it compare with my Jersey winners?
It serves a different kind of food to, say, Bohemia. Much less adventurous or quirky. Some of the dishes are quite simple. Which doesn’t mean they are not good. The duck and the lamb chez Hoffmann would grace any table … and I will certainly visit chef Thomas Kurt (yes! that’s really his name) again next year..

Oh. Price? Since you ask. 350 euros (inclusive) for four. Fair enough…

full story and photos at http://kurtofgerolstein.blogspot.de/2012/07/a-tale-of-hoffmans.html

• Visited July 2012
Burcht, Antwerpen, Belgium
“Ein koffer in Berlin”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We choose Hoffmann to celebrate a special day,we live in Belgium so it was a gamble, made reservations.
We loved every course,enjoyed the wine and the venue!
Thomas Kurt and your team, thank you for a special evening!
We will return gladly.