“Efficient, seamless service”

Hilton Berlin
Ranked #67 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The hotel is very clean comfortable and efficient. Its location is great for getting around Berlin and is in keeeping with what you would expect of Hilton i.e, it's mainly a business location. Certainly the wi fi policy is expensive but there are 4 computers to use in reception and this proved convenient for us

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ians002
Anja_Tuccio, Executive Secretary at Hilton Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Actually we do have quite a good mix between business and leisure guests and try our best to respond to both groups. We hope to see you back at the Hilton Berlin.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Good Hotel in an excellent sightseeing location at the heart of the town. Easy access by public transport, traffic ok (the construction site of the subway extension at "Unter den Linden" can cause some headache during rush-hour depending where you are heading to) and the Gendarmenmarkt is a highlight itself to be enjoyed during breakfast - too bad you can not have window seating only ;o). The service and facilities are what you expect from a Hilton, global standard though the pool is more suitable for relaxing than a real work-out. The staff is polite (esp if compared to the regular Berlin service culture which is somewhat more rough - though that can have its charm as well).
Drawback would be that in the evening "Mitte" is not the place to be and a quick splash out into the legendary Berlin "Nachkultur" for someone on a tight time budget is difficult. You are in the middle but life is then elsewhere. Still, maybe that is not expected by the intended target group.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 25, 2013

This is a very good hotel, with friendly staff, great location, good facilities even though the rooms could be slightly bigger. The breakfast buffet is very good. The only drawback is it's internet policy and cost: €25/day is a rip off! Especially for a hotel like this. They could charge €10 or 12 a day on everybody's room and you would not notice the payment, and the will still be making money! Very silly policy by some hotels nowadays.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Let's start with the good: The property itself is nice - the location is very central, the lobby and rooms are nice (although I found it very odd that there were absolutely no cottonballs or other typical Hilton bathroom amenities), and overall it was clean.

Why I wouldn't come back:
Many (not all) staff seem to have falled asleep during the "service with a smile" training and have missed the point of what it means to work in the service industry.
1.The check-in girl barely smiled.
2. Ladies in the breakfast hall looked like they were not happy to be there. When I approached one of them to ask for cutlery, she, without knowing what I was going to say, grunted "My colleague is coming" even though two seconds later (without my question having been asked as I was left blankly looking around the room wondering which of her other colleagues would walk over) she then placed cutlery at the table. Perhaps it would be more helpful to bother finding out what I am in need of?
3. Room Service menu is totally lacking (with no hot items during the late hours) and the room service order taker was unhelpful and rude, enough that we had to complain to the general manager and decided we didn't want roomservice after all.
4. As said before, for a Hilton, why there weren't any cotton balls is beyond me. When we called downstairs to ask for cottonballs we waited over 30 minutes and still no cotton balls. We eventually had to leave the room but nothing was brought to our room.
5. Housekeeping came at 8:30 am to clean the room (??!?!)
6. Concierge gave us wrong information when they could have just looked up what we needed on google, and ended up wasting our time - which was really upsetting.
7. My friends who asked to be recommended to a cool neighbourhood akin to Soho in New York were instead directed to a neighbourhood with lots of prostitutes (they were not amused).

I could go on and on, but it would be excessive. Being in the service industry, I am willing to be flexible about one or two staff but when my stay is littered with a collection of snipey, unfriendly, unhelpful, and downright rude service experiences, I find no reason to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank ecakes
Anja_Tuccio, Executive Secretary at Hilton Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Thank you for your detailed review. We were very concerned to read this considerable list of shortfalls, all of which are of course not in line with our general standard of services. We sincerely apologize and assure you that we will follow up with the team on all the points you have mentioned. In as far as the room service is concerned, I had (earlier this week, in response to a similar tripadvisor review), explained that over the last couple of days, we had a lot more late-night room service orders than usually and were obviously ill prepared for this. We have meanwhile added extra staff to our room service team to ensure that all orders will be handled quickly and efficiently.
We do hope that you will us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Berlin. We are convinced that given the chance, we will be able to restore your trust in our service quality and prove to you that what you have experienced, was a deplorable exception.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

It is very good located hotel - in the heart of Berlin. I was there in August. It looks like very modern style hotel. Swimming pool is very beautiful. I don't recommend to use credit card from Russia because you will release money from account 33 days - use cash.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Maxim_V_N
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a week at the end of August. Took the upgrade option and got Room 4005 with a perfect view of the German Cathedral at Gendarmenmarkt. The hotel's location at Gendarmenmarkt was perfect. We were able to walk to Museum Island, the Holocaust Memorial, Brandenburg Gate, the Reichstag and the Jewish Museum. We took taxis for anything farther (the hotel staff just call them over to the front of the hotel for pick-up) but there was a metro stop just outside the hotel so that seemed very convenient. for anyone who wanted to take the metro. Also at Gendarmenmarkt, there is a stop for the Hop On Hop Off city Bus Tour which we used over the space of two days which was really great. Just make sure you take your headphones with you when you hop off so that you can use them when you hop on again. The commentary was very good and clear with the headphones and you could choose your language.
At the hotel, we were able to purchase a voucher for the tickets for this bus, but you have to go to the Ampelmann store on the corner to get the actual tickets before embarking. We would have appreciated it if the hotel concierge had told us this. Which leads me to another point: the quality of the concierge service depended on who was on duty. Some were not great. Others were excellent.
Our room was spacious, quiet from interior noise & from street noise. Bed was comfortable and there was enough room for our large suitcases which can be a problem in Europe. The bathroom only had a shower in the bathtub but the partial glass divider kept most of the water inside the bathtub. However, we did have to do a quick wipe of the floor next to the bathtub after every shower but honestly, it was no big deal as it was far from a flood.
We had room service for one meal and were not impressed. Would not recommend. However, breakfast, though super expensive at 32 euros each, was an excellent breakfast buffet. I did find it interesting though that on the weekend, the breakfast price suddenly dropped to 21 euros each. Needless to say, there were a lot more people. I also noticed that there were people who had breakfast included; I don't know if they were in a tour group but something to check out while booking.
I must mention that the receptionist at the breakfast entrance, Leonida, was just wonderful: smiling and always helpful like a ray of sunshine, no matter what the actual weather.
The staff at hotel reception were also great. Our original room wasn't ready as we arrived a couple of hours early but no problem, she found us an even better room immediately. Very fast and efficient. At the end of our stay, I wanted to print off our boarding passes in the lobby but the printer wasn't working. A woman at reception tried to fix the printer to no avail and I was ready to give up but she insisted on persevering until I had our boarding passes in hand. I was just super impressed with the staff at hotel reception.
I should mention that there is also a shop in the lobby for souvenirs, postcards & stamps, mundane necessities & jewelry and it is open quite late (at least until 10 PM).
There are lots of restaurants with terraces and some shops around the hotel so we ate dinner a couple of times right outside the hotel. Gendarmenmarkt has wonderful restaurant and café terraces for food & drink.
The hotel is not perfect but I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Our room 4005 was spacious and had a fantastic view. Worth the extra money.