“Great location, great hotel”
Review of Hilton Berlin

Hilton Berlin
Ranked #68 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This was my first time to Berlin and this hotel was the perfect location. The rooms were very nice,clean and comfortable. The decor was pleasant. I am finding that a lot of hotels in Europe have a problem with the showers. The haven't figured out how to stop the water from going all over the floors, and this hotel was no exception. The breakfast buffet was wonderful. The staff in the dining room were very courteous and helpful. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Anja_Tuccio, Executive Secretary at Hilton Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you for sharing your impressions of your recent stay at the Hilton Berlin with fellow travellers. We were happy to learn that you were satisfied with the hotel and the services provided by our team. Regarding the problem with water leaking from the shower which you have mentioned, we have of course immediately followed-up with our engineering department.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Berlin and if there is anything I can assist with in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,798)

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Everything that a US traveler expects, needs and wants. Great location, great staff, great amenities. This hotel is extremely well run, clean and modern. Restaurant is quite good too. Mercedes Fashion Week was going on so lot's of receptions and fashion related activities did not interfere with our stay but instead were a great back drop for our stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Reviewed July 8, 2013

It was my first visit to Berlin- it was a combination of work and pleasure.
This hotel was in a great location for exploring. The tram was just outside but most places easily reachable by foot. The breakfast buffet was incredible. I am a vegetarian and I had so much choice. The room was perfect overlooking the tranquil courtyard. The swimming pool and spa was beautiful and a retreat from the busy streets. I honestly cannot fault this hotel.
Also the most amazing chocolate shop and restaurant is just a few metres away!
My partner and I loved Berlin and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lynsey80
Reviewed July 6, 2013

we stayed there already several times and loved that place. very good location at the gendarmen market. beautiful rooms and an excellent executive lounge. actually the first hilton executive lounge which is really a benefit for the guest. tasty snacks, spacious seating areas, silent atmosphere and various drinks. and a really outstanding service!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Before you consider staying at the Berlin Hilton, email and call the hotel to personally confirm with the hotel manager that they no longer have the same energy cost control actions in place. Otherwise, you will wake up sweating and hot in the middle of the night.

We stayed at this Hilton during Christmas, 2012.

The best part of the stay was the delightful Concierge, Herr Rohner.
The second best part was the view on to the Gendarmenmarkt Christmas market and the Dom.

However, I definitely would not recommend staying at this hotel for 2 reasons:

1) Why, when it was winter (40 degrees F outside), did we both wake up hot and sweating at 3:00am every morning? (and then were tired the next days)

Especially me - I've had my thyroid removed. I'm always cold.

This was baffling. After the first night we opened a small window as far as it would allow us before we went to bed. This was not far because it was bottom hinged and opened like a "V".

We complained about the humidity / heat several times during our 4 night stay, and they told us they were working on it. Not true. Only later during checkout did we find out the real answer:

The hotel shuts down the air conditioner system at 2 or 3:00am to the ENTIRE HOTEL. Maybe the manager decided this would save energy costs?

I wonder if Hilton the corporation would agree with this action?

I would understand this action from a small pension, but not from a hotel that describes itself as a 5* hotel.

And then, after multiple times we complained, why did they not stop doing that?

Maybe they only do this during winter because then fewer will realize what is happening. We had a 6'th floor room. Maybe the lower level rooms (with less of a view) did not get as hot or humid.

2) Our room was not well maintained. We were in an "Executive Room Plus" and the shower fixture came completely off the wall. The next morning we had to take showers in a room a long ways down the hall.

By the end of our stay we called it the "Hilton from Hell"

One other thing (this one is definitely not the hotel's fault) - I left my favorite winter hat in the closet shelf above eye level.
I phoned the hotel asking if they would send it to me. There was no follow-up. I really miss that hat. Lesson for me - don't use the shelf above eye level for hats when they could get pushed back by umbrellas, etc!

For the hassle we were offered and accepted a discount during checkout. I don't remember what it was, but it wasn't enough since we spent most of our precious Christmas vacation in Berlin tired due to lack of sleep.

This experience did teach me a new travel lesson:

Even in the middle of winter, a hotel manager can still make it too hot or humid to sleep, even if the guest can completely control the heat. It surprises me that is possible. Maybe a HVAC expert would say, "of course this is obvious because you always need humidity control running".

Therefore:

When planning our 2013 winter holidays now, I'm going to describe the Hilton Berlin to each hotel that we select. I will ask them if they take similar actions during the winter months?

Vacation minutes are too precious, and money is too scarce, to wake up uncomfortable and sweating in the middle of the night at an expensive hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank MareLuce
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We visited for just one night (was meant to be two but missed the flight!), hotel impressive on arrival with lovely lobby and cocktail bar area.

Staff weren't over friendly but the room was spacious with two huge beds (travelled with a friend) and extremely clean.

Great location a short walk from the train and easy to get out and about and most importantly an amazing chocolate shop right next door!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the square - there's no view the other side.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank 201,011
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed 6 nights and location superb. Close to main shopping areas,cafes,restaurants, and the Gendarnenmarkt right there! Superb breakfast...get b&b rate! Lobby spacious and relaxing good Wifi free in lobby. Rooms spacious. Lots of Tour Groups and conferences but didn't spoil our stay. Very efficient service.

Room Tip: Room overlooking Gendarmenmarkt good views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple