“Great hotel in Gendarmenmerkt area”
Review of Hilton Berlin

Hilton Berlin
Ranked #65 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great hotel in Gendarmenmerkt area”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Having Hilton status at this property is a MAJOR plus because the lounge is incredible. Most of the international lounges have better food options. Hotel is in a great area and there are many outdoor cafes just steps from the hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (636)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami, FL
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had a great stay at this hotel while spending four days in Berlin, Oct 10 - 14. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful and I was surprised the number of persons who spoke English. The breakfast was fabulous, the internet access was untroubled and the location is ideal. The concierge in the Executive Center was very helpful in making dinner reservations at great restaurants within reasonable walking distance and also in assisting in printing boarding passes. Stefanie Hempel in the Reservations Dept. was very kind and considerate in assisting with as reservation problem. She solved it expertly. I also have to mention Leonida, the person who greeted us at breakfast. Although we were only there for a short time, she remembered our name and room number each day.

1 Thank BikerBoyFlorida
Traverse City, MI
Reviewed October 21, 2012

While we have visited Germany many times, we had never been in Berlin. So I searched TA for the best hotel and they were correct (again) that a great place to consider was the Hilton.

The Hilton is a modern hotel located in a very active area of old East Berlin. It is across from the square of churches and a concert hall. It is a very active area with many people at all hours. Many dining choices are a short walk away as is the Berlino Hop On / Hop Off Tour bus.

The lobby and bar are beautiful and the rooms, while not large, are well furnished with an elegant bathroom. Breakfast in the hotel features a very large buffet with many cooked to order items but is quite expensive. We found a better choice at Quchnia, just a short walk away, where they have a more modest selection and free WiFi. We would definitely return to the Hilton if we returned to Berlin.

Room Tip: King Bed No Smoking rooms are sometimes difficult to find in Europe. No problem at the Hilton.
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

We had a four night stay here. Rooms clean, comfy beds, great breakfast, wonderful helpful staff. The advice of the staff led us to several great meals! Located with walking distance to many sights in this city.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Stayed just one night following a river cruise.
We had a room looking into the open roofed atrium so no traffic noise (and no view).

Quick check-in at reception but no provision for quick check-out.
No complimentary water in room but tap water was drinkable.
The most expensive prices I have ever seen in a minibar.

Excellent breakfast with helpful and pleasant staff.

2 Thank jamesfurze
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 17, 2012

If you want to be in the heart of historic Berlin this hotel has a great location. Many of the major attractions are within 20-30 minutes walking distance and the close proximity of the subway makes exploring other parts of the city really easy. In addition, the staff are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable about the city and can give great pointers to some of the less well known and equally fascinating aspects of the city. The rooms are modern and well appointed and provide a very comfortable and relaxing environment. Finally, breakfast was great! There were plenty of choice available and the quality was excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Huddersfield
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This review is a tale of two halves. The hotel itself is good. The rooms are good. It is in an excellent location with plenty of Berlin sights within easy walking distance. The staff were really helpful when I asked if my niece could book in earlier than me as she was travelling from Sweden and meeting me there. The rooms are clean, comfortable, lovely toiletries, robe and slippers. BUT... and it is a BIG BUT there is one thing they need to get right in the 21st Century. I had been very busy all week at work and rushed to the airport to get my flight - when I arrived I realised that I hadn't checked in online and therefore not printed out my boarding pass. Never mind, I am staying in the Hilton, I will be able to deal with the return flight from the hotel. WRONG! I spent 5 hours of my weekend trying to access the internet to check in and print the boarding passes. 5 hours of a short weekend stay. The internet wouldn't work well enough for me to do this and the staff could offer no assistance or alternatives. There were at least two other people that were having the same problem who were equally frustrated.
In the end I went to Starbucks and used their (free) WiFi to check in within the time limit (just) using my iPhone and then managed to find a souvenir shop at the airport who for 2 euros allowed me to print out the necessary paperwork.
For a well respected hotel chain with excellent facilities you need to sort this out. I travel with work and frequently stay in hotels, but i will never recommend the Hilton to my colleagues as if you cannot access the internet and do business then it is just not worth it. Such a shame. It could have been an excellent stay and an excellent review. Service will now be shown as average because even though I discussed this at least a dozen times there was no alternative offered.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Anja_Tuccio, Executive Secretary at Hilton Berlin, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hilton Berlin with other travellers. Your feedback is also extremely valuable for us as it enables us to continuously monitor the quality of the services we provide and make corrections whenever necessary.
We were of course quite pleased with the many positive points you have mentioned, but needless to say, we have also noted the concerns you have voiced.
We have recently changed our internet provider and do now offer complimentary internet access in our public areas as well as complimentary computer workstations with printers, enabling our guests to print out boarding passes etc. Unfortunately we faced some initial problems with the internet connectivity, but are happy to confirm that the mistake was meanwhile identified and fixed.
We do hope to be able to welcome you back to the Hilton Berlin and trust that you will then be able to give account of a fully enjoyable stay.
Anja Tuccio