“Location, Location, Location”

Ranked #108 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Manila, Philippines
“Location, Location, Location”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Westin Grand will not be the cheapest hotel in the area but it more than makes up for the price with the location, the rooms and the service. I loved the fact that I can do my early morning runs and experience the surroundings before the pack of tourists arrive. The Museum Island with the iconic Bode Museum along the River Spree, the Gendarmenmarkt, The Brandenburg Tor, The Bundestag, the Tiergarten and many more are just within walking distance. Plus the Franzosichestrasse U-bahn station is just outside the door from where you can practically get anywhere in the city for no more than EU 5 for the entire day.... well almost. Oh and for chocolate lovers, the Ritter Sport shop is just a block away and the Fassbender & Rausch shop is also near so have fun!!

The rooms were spacious and comfortable, although the age is starting to show but they are kept clean and I loved the soft and hugging pillows. There's massive construction around the hotel and the Unter den Linden but none of the noise got inside my room. Didn't get to try the gym though but the spa was excellent as well.

Breakfast was fabulous but expensive so try to get a rate that includes it otherwise, get it outside. There are options just across the Unter den Linden that won't hurt you as much and when all else fails, there's Starbucks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Nothing has changed since my last stay ! I was booked this time as part of a group and was hopeful that the 18 months have seen some improvement...alas no ! facilities are more tired, staff even less enthusiastic and extra 35.- Eur for an average quality breakfast and EXTRA charge for WiFi is Westin's way to milk guests, booked by others !

Room Tip: Try another hotel...there are many nearby....all better
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Geomeller
Westin_Grand_Berlin, Executive Office at The Westin Grand Berlin, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear guest, unfortunately your overall impressions are just bad and we deeply regret that we were renewed not be able to satisfy you. Thank you for sharing with us your review. You can be assured that we permanently work on a high class performance for our guests. The Westin Grand Berlin, Andrea W.
Bayonne, New Jersey
Reviewed October 18, 2013

This hotel is in a prime location for sightseeing and easy to find from the TXL Airport Express Bus. There are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. I walked to almost every location during my short time there. The hotel interior is a bit dated but the rooms are very up to date. I There is no club lounge or special perks other than the standard free internet and points for SPG Platinum members. Breakfast isn't even included for SPG Platinum members which I found a bit odd as it's standard at most properties. I found my room to be very spacious and comfortable. The laundry prices are a bit high and make sure to ask not to be charged an express charge on laundry if possible or if you are doing laundry beyond the normal pick up and drop off times. The internet was rather slow at times but overall I was very pleased with my stay and would stay here again next time I am in Berlin. I want to send a special thank you to the concierge team for helping me get to different meetings and to make sure my package was delivered to me upon check in.

Room Tip: There is some construction on several sides of the building but noise didn't bother me at all...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed October 18, 2013

it's fine... but not great and not great value for the price. I stayed over a weekend with my partner and a further two days alone for business.
Whats good:
Location - perfect for museum island, check-point charlie and the brandenburg gates
Rooms - Mine was spacious, if a little underwhelming in design. I believe the better rooms are in the new wing, which unfortunately means a long walk to the elevator
Decor: Not amazing... but nice. The central 'courtyard' area is a nice architectural touch

What wasn't good:
- Nothing extra for platinum starwoods card holders... I didn't get an upgrade, there is no platinum lounge and generally speaking this is a hotel where you get exactly what you paid for, regardless of status. My room was as far as possible from the elevator in fact, which is not great.
- Staff service levels: ranged from efficient (check-in, interactions with concierge) if rather 'soulless' to not very efficient (check-out literally took 10-15 minutes) and rude (I 'interrupted a gaggle of staff by the elevators having a public disagreement to ask a question... one turned and was very abrupt with me, none tried to intervene to be more professional). Also when we arrived Friday night there was no one to greet us, if it weren't for the garish red sign outside we could have been pulling up at an apartment block. No one even offered to help with bags.
-Food. Breakfast is underwhelming but fine, I ordered room service once and it was not good... and in fact sent me straight to the loo! Which is really not ok in a Westin.
-Spa access: I decided to go use the sauna as I usually do after a flight, and was told that not only is there a supplement, but you have to book in advance as it's so small! First time ever I have heard this from a hotel...

Room Tip: I think new wing rooms are better, but further from lift.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MChalmers_12
Dear guest, thank you for your constructive comment what makes us able to monitor our service standards. You can be assured that we have evaluated your review internally - especially the negative issues - with the appropriate manager to see what went wrong and to ensure that we do offer always a fine service. Normally it is not necessary to book the sauna in advance, but spa treatments. And you also did not experience our standard service at check in - certainly we offer luggage service and our personal is attentive and polite. We sincere regret your bad impressions and hope you will accept our apology. We would be more than pleased to get a chance to convince you of our high service level during your next stay. The Westin Grand Berlin, Andrea W.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

The Westin Grand is perfect in so many ways. The staff and facilities are top-notch. The one exception is the absence of a Club Lounge or place to do internet work and relax. The wifi is fine, although you have to sign in again and again and again. And the breakfast is pricey, but exceptional. Get a rate that includes breakfast. The rooms are exceptionally comfortable, with great space. In all, I couldn't imagine staying elsewhere -- and I did go into several other hotels to compare.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you so much for those kind words! We are pleased indeed to see that you were satisfied with our service and our staff loves to earn such a kind comment for their attention and service. We are looking forward to your next stay! Yours Westin Grand Berlin-Team, Andrea W.
Warsaw
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

Definitely my favorite hotel in Berlin! Greatly located I. The heart of the city, close I good restaurants and best known Berlin locations like Brandenburg Tor.

Very original interior with amazing stairs in the middle of the hallway! Rooms are very clean, spacey and nicely furnished. Everything you need is there including good wifi connection.

There is no good hotel without tasty breakfast. And the Westin one is of my favorites! Wide selection of fresh meet and fish, huge cereals variety and fresh passion fruit to be found nowhere else in Europe !!!

So for me no1 stay in Berlin for a reasonable price, very much recommended!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel is very elegant with a grand staircase leading up to the first floor. All the staff were very professional and friendly. The room was very nicely furnished and the bathroom clean and tidy. The bed was massive and extremely comfortable. This is exactly what I expect from a 5 star hotel and I was not disappointed. I was surprised however that the internet was not free. I have stayed in 3 star hotels in the past with free WIFI so not sure why paying more gets you less in a 5 star. Anyway, overall I was happy with my stay and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, we are pleased to learn that you have enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your evaluation and your comment. It was really appreciated and we hope it was not your last visit in Berlin and at The Westin Grand Berlin. Andrea W.