“Lovely location.”

The Westin Grand Berlin
Ranked #113 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is our second check-in while on our recent trip. As a Platinum SPG the rate at this hotel was quite good. On the first visit we had a junior suite in a more traditional style and on this check in we received a suite in a modern style, though quite sparsely furnished given the size of the living room. Furnishings were of basic quality, clean and functional.
The staff here is wonderful. On both visits they have been efficient and very helpful.
While the rooms are clean and functional, the property in my humble opinion doesn't qualify as "grand", but I should qualify that because for the evenings in between our two separate stays here we were staying at the Ritz Carlton.
Given the Hotel Adlon just by the Brandenburg Gate, a short stroll away, it would seem to me that Starwood would want to spend a little to rehab this property and push it to the next level, but obviously they are happy with the current price point. They win the affordable award given the higher end competition in the area, and I'm guessing because of that they keep their occupancy quite high with budget minded Americans.
There are plenty of restaurants in the area and I recommend venturing even a block or two away, where food is better and at a lower price point. Fassbender and Rausch, Berlin's most famous chocolate, is very close and has a gorgeous little second floor cafe and at very reasonable prices.
The breakfast buffet at the Westin seems completely overpriced, but at check in we were offered a two for one prepay to buy in advance which didn't seem like that bad of a deal. We did not buy as a continental breakfast was provided for Platinum SPG. If you don't need a full breakfast to fill up in the morning, there are plenty of coffee houses where you can have muffins and beverages again at a lower price point.
I had no problems with the gym, pool and sauna facilities. Staff again was exceedingly nice. Yes as other guests have noted in reviews this area of the hotel could be refreshed, but again...for the price point the Westin is a very decent value in Berlin. It certainly served our purposes and got me two more check-ins towards Platinum status.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view room to avoid noise.
3  Thank PDXStocks
Westin_Grand_Berlin, Executive Office at The Westin Grand Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Dear guest, we thank you for your guest review and describing your impressions and allowing us to know guest thoughts. And this is certainly useful for us. We are getting excited that you as an experienced traveler enjoyed your stay. Should there be an occasion to convince you completely, please give us a chance – we will. We are looking forward to your next visit … at The Westin Grand Berlin.

There are newer reviews for The Westin Grand Berlin

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I much enjoyed my stay in the Westin Grand. I'm a bit of a movie enthusiast, so it was intriguing for me to follow in the footsteps of Jason Bourne and to experience the hotel environment in which he tracks down Pamela Landy (the CIA agent) in one of the Bourne films. I also agree with many of my fellow posters as regards the variety and high calibre of the buffet breakfast. Even more so given my competitive room rate of Euro 120 a night inclusive of the alluring breakfast.

The only problem I suppose is that if you pay bottom dollar for a room, you don't always get exactly what you order. So I ended up in a twin bedded room even though I had signed up for a double deluxe. I arrived after midnight the first night and didn't really have the energy to ask for a transfer to a double (if it had been available) at that time. After that, my old friend "inertia" kicked in and I stayed - relatively happily - in the double bedded room during my sojourn in the Westin Grand.

In some Westin hotels (such as the one in Dublin), use of the business lounge is free. In Berlin, however, they charge you Euro 5 for just fifteen minutes on the internet. To my mind, this is extortionate by any standards. In the end, I paid in excess of Euro 100 to use the internet for five and a half hours hours during the six days of my stay.

There is a very pleasant bistro-style restaurant in the foyer of the hotel. One of the dishes, the pasta with lobster, is comfort food of the highest order. There's also a great range of local dishes, beers and a zingy selection of cocktails.

The staff could not have been kinder to me. All of them are dedicated to making sure that everyone has a good time. One of the women in the hospitality area reminds me of a younger version of Annabel Siegfried, the actress: full of warmth and joie de vivre. All in all, the Westin Grand can be very proud of its staff.

The hotel is conveniently located just around the corner from Unter den Linden, a seven or eight minute walk away from the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag. For those of you interested in fashion, Galleries Lafayette (the French clothing store) is within about three minutes walk of the hotel. Another venue worth checking out is the Sony Centre, just around the corner from the Berlin Philharmonic. If you're homesick for films in the English language, this cinema specialises almost exclusively in films of that ilk.

Room Tip: My room overlooked the work on the new U-bahn connection to Unter den Linden. For 15 or 20 Euro more...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for this informative report and your thoughts in regards to your stay. It shows us that you felt comfortable here and that is the aim of our work. We all here are doing our utmost for the guest’s satisfaction. Please be informed, that double beds means the occupancy for two people and it can be twin beds, a king size or also a queen size bed. But if we have a special request in advance we are trying always to consider. For using Internet over several days we recommend to use the five day ticket for 75.00 € currently. We would be pleased to be your host again – one day in the future! The Westin Grand Berlin

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I just completed my third stay at the Westin Grand Berlin. This time we stayed for 6 nights. I love this hotel. Grand and old with all modern conveniences for a remarkably affordable price. The rooms are large and comfortable with generous bathrooms. the staff are always friendly and helpful. For the second time I arrived at the airport early in the morning and showed up at the hotel before 10am. They checked us in right away, which was a great relief after 18 hours flying from the US West coast.

The dining room is only okay - there are plenty of better options for dinner within a short walk. But the breakfast is fabulous. It's pricey at 32 Euros, but such choice and such quality. Spring for the breakfast and skip lunch!

I'd guess this hotel has stood for a century but there's no sign of its age in the decor, comfort levels or facilities. It's one of my favorite hotels. I doubt I'll want to stay anywhere else in Berlin. Very classy and excellent value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest, we are pleased to read your review - how nice to learn that you enjoy staying with us. Well, our hotel celebtrated his 25th anniversary last year. It was rebuilt constructed following the the the former building on this corner, called Kaiserpassage. Thank you for your review - we are looking forward to your fourth stay! The Westin Grand Berlin, Andrea W.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We are leaving tomorrow morning early but thought we'd get the review written. Location is great, next to buses, U6 ubahn stop, and walking to most attractions all within a mile or less. Berlin in less than four days is basically not adequate but we did our best.

This was a mostly Starwood trip and this property, like the others, suffered from a nickel and dime attitude. When we checked in, the very nice front desk receptionist told us about the breakfast special, which ONLY cost 20 Euros or so and must have been on commission because it was a clear disappointment that we didn't buy. There is a bakery four or so blocks south where I bought breakfast for four for under 10 Euros. 19 Euros for the Internet (my phone was somehow blocked!) and on and on.

Pool and work out room are adequate. Pool is round and jacuzzi is small. Work out room is just adequate. Be careful walking between pool and jacuzzi -- it's slippery.

I would probably stay here again. There is construction literally next door and driving in was somewhat challenging (parking is 28 Euro) but Berlin is under construction and lots of it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Westin_Grand_Berlin, Executive at The Westin Grand Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear MarkandAnne, thank you for your review - we are pleased to see that we could convince you to come back one day - we are looking forward to your visit! The Westin Grand Berlin, Andrea W.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

The hotel is very nice, but not up to the standards of most Westin hotels. The rooms are clean, but dated. They are also quite small, and lack any character. The location is excellent, although, the construction near the hotel is a bit of a distraction. Internet was exorbitantly priced, and there was not even complementary wifi in the lobby. Little amenities, such as providing complementary tea and tea kettles in the room, which is generally provided in even the most mediocre hotels throughout Europe, was available for an unreasonable €4.00 per day. So overall, given that there are many other equally nice, and similarly well located hotels in Berlin, I would not return.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank des16
Westin_Grand_Berlin, Executive Office at The Westin Grand Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear guest that's a pity not only for you that we could not meeting your expectations. But we thank you for your comment as any constructive review is appreciated to improve our service. To convince you from our hotel and its standard service we would be pleased to get a second chance - without any disappointments for you. The Westin Grand Berlin, Andrea W.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Luxurious and impressive hotel in the centre of east Berlin. Great room, impressive lobby, helpful staff and a nice and big German breakfast buffet. The spa is a little dated and would benefit from refurbish. Overall my favourite hotel in Berlin.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Have just returned from Berlin having spent four nights at the Westin Grand Hotel. Would highly recommend. The hotel lobby is very grand with galleried landing. The staff could not do enough for us. The rooms were very comfortable. The swimming pool area was very pleasant and spotless. The breakfast was magnificent. The hotel in all was very good value for money.

The redeeming feature of this hotel is its position. It is within walking distance of all the main attractions in Berlin.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Westin_Grand_Berlin, Executive Office at The Westin Grand Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear guest, what a wonderful review after your stay with us. Thank you so much for both - and hopefully your plans will bring you back one day. We would be proud to be your host! The Westin Grand Berlin, Andrea W.