“Nice hotel, great location, perfect for families.”

The Westin Grand Berlin
Ranked #106 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Los Angeles
“Nice hotel, great location, perfect for families.”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

As SPG Platinum members, we try to stay at Westins as much as possible where ever we travel. Glad we ended up here on our 4 days in Berlin over the summer. It's a beautiful, large hotel in a perfect location for sightseers. It worked out very well as we were forced to get two rooms due to their fire regulations against having 4 people in one large room. That gets rather expensive especially in Europe. We were fortunate enough to be able to use points for one of the rooms. Because of the building design, the rooms were not connecting, but at the end of the hall on a corner. There was a door they created a private hallway for the two rooms.

I won't go into the room descriptions as its been talked about more than enough other than the two room set up was nice if you have kids and you want to make sure no one has access to their door.

The staff were friendly and offered up directions in perfect English which was appreciated. We loved the indoor pool, although with the low roof, it can be noisy with kids.

The only complaint I had was about the continental breakfast. We mistakenly took that as out SPG amenity gift. Blah... Skip it. It was totally bland and boring. Service was poor at breakfast. I looked at the full breakfast items and they didn't look so great either. I walked about 1 minute down Freidrichstrasse to Einstein Bagel and Coffee shop for the best marzipan croissant I have ever eaten! In fact, I bought two each time. They are that good. Don't miss this place! It's much cheaper that eating at the Westin.

A little side note aimed at my fellow Americans- There is a Subway across Freidrichstrasse from the hotel where you can get self serve soft drinks with an ice machine and refill until your hearts content! I'm typically not like that when I'm on vacation, do as the locals do, eat as the locals eat is my motto, but when you are melting in unfamiliar humidity and heat with a 9 year old who for just one meal wants a turkey sandwich and coke, you do what you have to do!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Melissa H
Westin_Grand_Berlin, Executive Office at The Westin Grand Berlin, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear guest, we do appreciate indeed reviews of our guests as they show us if and where we can improve our service. Please take our thanks for your efforts to evaluate us. We do enjoy your nice comments; we really regret that you did not like our breakfast buffet as other guests do. However, should your travel plans bring you back to Berlin please be our guest and enjoy just the rest of the hotel. Yours Westin Grand Berlin-Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were a bit worried about the noise of the construction, based on other reviews, but because it was winter and our windows were closed, we were not at all bothered by noise. Our 10 year old son enjoyed watching the construction, in fact. We had a second room for my parents who were upgraded to a garden view, which was very quiet. Noreen at the front desk was diligent in finding us the best rooms to meet our needs, incredibly helpful with specific requests, and she even took a call from us once we had left Berlin and couldn't find the phone number of where we were going - she looked it up for us! The pool, though a bit cold for our taste in February in Berlin, was well-kept and enjoyable (especially for our children). The hotel is also in an ideal location. Breakfast was great but pricey.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Westin_Grand_Berlin, Executive Secretary at The Westin Grand Berlin, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear guest from N.Y., we are so pleased that you have chosen our hotel during your Berlin-stay. And we are indeed very pleased to read that you loved to be with us. Thank you so much for giving us your impressions. We have shared your nice comment also with Noreen. And indeed a lot of our guests take the construction side as a kind of event. As the windows should not be opened generelly due to the air-condition it is really not very noisy. But the construction works are going to be continued underground up from the late summer - and there is not too much occasion to have a view on it. But we hope you will come back to us even without construction side - we are looking forward to your visit! Yours Westin Grand Berlin Team, Andrea W.
London
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Very good hotel, right on Friedrichstraße. The staircase in the lobby is majestic. Rooms are well appointed, in Westin-style. I have been here around 20 times and I can recommend the following: ask for a room which is not opening on the huge atrium, it can be a bit noisy sometimes; do not go for one of the recently renovated rooms, they are so far away that you have to walk about 10 minutes from the lobby; suites have pieces of the Berlin wall on sale, if you're interested (but mind the price). The restaurant downstairs serves decent dishes, but I once has a discussion with the waiter(s) first and the chef later, as they were insisting that the mozzarella I ordered was bufala, which it was clearly not. Juices are very good and healthy. Finally, the gym is very small, and the pool too.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest, we are sure that Berlin visitors will appreciate your evaluation as we do. Thank you for being our guest and thank you for your comments. And we can assure you that you will be served buffalo mozzarella when you order it. We would be pleased to convince you upon your next stay - please order the mozzarella to test it and if you have any doubt, ask for our Executive chef or Management to clear it. Of course you are invited for that. We are looking forward t your visit and remain yours Westin Grand Berlin Team, Andrea W.
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Reviewed March 1, 2013

The rooms are very clean, the bed extremely soft (some may not prefer this though), the bathroom is a pleasure to be in. I must say that I was quite pleased with everything but found the breakfast too expensive (32 EUR). It is true that they had everything that you could image - loads of choices, but I mean, how much can you eat for breakfast? If I ever come again, I will go to a store to buy food for breakfast - it would be much cheaper. Also, I missed having a kettle in my room to make some coffee/tea. As for location, the shopping area is just around the corner - at Friedrichstrasse. And Checkpoint Charlie as well as other sights walking distance. Anyway, I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: There is some construction going on on one side of the hotel, perhaps the rooms above that street (F...
1 Thank fillout
Dear guest, thank you very much for your honest evaluation. We loved to meet our guests expectations and are pleased to see if we were sucessful. It's too bad that you did not enjoy our breakfast as other guests do. But you can choose from our a la carte menue just a small breakfast for less money. A kettle can be ordered at our Service Express Service. If you let us know in advance you can find it in your room upon arrival. We hope we can be your host again very soon. Yours Westin Grand Berlin Team, Andrea W.
Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed February 19, 2013

While they tout Heavenly Beds, they're really referring to the bed linens and duvet. The mattress was very uncomfortable, and not in league with US Westin's.

Otherwise, room was very quiet, away from construction noise.

Why don't they mention the subway construction going on on two sides of the hotel?
Fortunately, I was facing a courtyard, and had quiet.

Room Tip: ask for a courtyard room.
3 Thank James M
Westin_Grand_Berlin, Executive Office at The Westin Grand Berlin, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear guest, Thank you very much for giving us your impressions and please take our apology for inconveniences. Please rest assured that we of course offer the Heavenly Beds of Westin and most our our guests enjoy them. We regret if you did not but we hope we will get occasion to convince you during your next stay. Yours Westin Grand Berlin, Andrea W.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed at the Westin Grand Berlin in February of 2011 (forgot to review it back when I stayed so have noted it as traveled this month as it didnt allow reviews as far back as two years) while on business for 5 days. The hotel was clean and well appointed. The bathroom had radio speakers in the ceiling and contained the same basic Westin toiletries as that in the US (which I still think needs to be upgraded as the conditioner never does the trick). The sauna and the pool were excellent after a long day at work as was the tea served at the lobby bar. I did eat dinner once at the hotel restaurant and thought the food was good, but the waitress was rude and argumentative; thankfully my German colleague corrected her in German and she quickly changed her tune. Other than that incident the food and service throughout the hotel was very good.....though food a bit overpriced. The concierge was helpfully in shipping my work materials back to the US as I continued on to Aachen afterwards. They also had a wonderful recommendation for a restaurant around the corner from the hotel was located.

The hotel was centrally located and walkable to just about everything. If I were to go back again for something other than work I would certainly stay here again.

1 Thank LilJetsettter
We thank you very much for being with us and for your efforts to evaluate us honestly. Constructive hints are appreciated indeed for monitoring our service standard. And we really regret your experience with our service staff; we have evaluated it already. You can assure that we normally offer polite and guest orientated service; we are working continuously on it and to be constantly is our highest priority. Should your travel plans bring you back one day, we will do our utmost for your comfortable stay. Yours Westin Grand Berlin Team, Andrea W.
Denmark
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Having read the recent reviews I was a bit hesitant. Luckily, there was no need to be. I arrived very early, and since I had some work to do I was really hoping that I could have a room. Which I could. The booking site through which I had made the booking had failed to forward it to the hotel, but luckily even that was not a problem. Breakfast was amazing, I had scrambled eggs, fried tomatoes, creamy thicj yoghurt with fruit and seeds and a blueberry smoothie, but I could have had breads, cheeses, fish, bacon, 5 kinds of musli anf yoghurt, fruit plates, eggs any style. etc. I did not experience any of the "service below par"-that others have commented on. Both staff at check in desk and at breakfast did an excellent job, efficient and subtle service German style - I like it, things work and are on time. The room had both slippers and robe, the amenities include conditioner for the hair (always a plus in a lady's book) and the room had a comfy chair with a table as well as ample desk space to work at. I really liked that there were many lamps, I hate it when there is only light in the ceiling and you cannot adjust lighting to your liking. Here you can. Sure, there is a building site in the surrounding streets (probably why I got a decent rate), they do start work at 7 in the morning, also on Saturdays, I was on the 6th floor, so it did not bother me too much, but I would have have been able to lie in and have a lazy afternoon. All in all, would I come back? In a second! (next time I would hope that the exorbitant internet rate is gone, it costs so little for a hotel to offer complimentary wifi like Radisson does)

1 Thank milledyn
Dear guest from Denmark, we enjoyed to read your nice comment which confirmed us to doing a good job. Of course, we do monitor our service level every day for a consistently good service and the comments of our guests help us a lot in our daily endeavour. Thank you very much for your evaluation and advices which we take seriously. The Westin Grand Berlin, Andrea W.