“Authentic Italian Restaurant in Berlin”

Cavallino Rosso Restaurant
Ranked #920 of 8,860 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This restaurant could be an Italian restaurant in Italy, but it is in Berlin, and that makes a great difference. It is not the typical Italian restaurant that you can find abroad, with a menu that offers the hit parade of Italian dishes. It has its own food philosophy, based on Italian one, and it becomes obvious when you look at the menu (especially the main courses). The courses are exellent, the service is really fast, the wine selection is not as extensive as in an Italian restaurant in Italy, but includes quality labels (not only from Italy). I have tried both the chicken with mushrooms and fish fillets with caponata, and they were great, especially the caponata, the best I have ever eaten. The first time I drank a chardonnay that was very good, the second an exceptional Lagrein.

1  Thank CArLO97

Reviewed May 16, 2012

Went there with a group of 6 and all of us found our food too salty. Did not like my swordfish at all. Maybe I shouldn't have ordered fish at an Italian restaurant. Very disappointed.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Found this restaurant on tripadvisor and also recommended by our hotel The Melia as being not to far to walk after a long day of walking/sightseeing. Fabulous service and food. My partner and I choose the turbot which was beautiful and the venison which was cooked to perfection. Wine list was good without being too pricey...go and enjoy..

1  Thank lastminutebobyork
Reviewed January 31, 2012

We were in Berlin on business and fortunately there a lot of well regarded places to dine here - but finding a true gem among all the over priced and fussy places - that truely deserves your money and time is another matter. CAVALLINO ROSSO Restaurant was already a well rated Italian restaurant that came highly recommended from one of our local work associates - so we gave it a try tonight and it turned out to be our FAVORITE DINING EXPERIENCE THUS FAR here in Berlin. Seriously, the staff are warm and funny and very professional - from the minute we arrived they took our coats, had a table waiting and within minutes we were already eating starters of hand made ravioli in thyme butter sauce with freshly shaved seasonal white truffles prepared at table side, as well as delicious entrees like Osse Bucco and my personal winner - a whole grilled sole - deboned at table side with a light lemon wine reduction sauce and a fresh salad on the side with beets. Others dove into Venison with a hearty red wine reduction and Grilled tuna in balsamic. Wines were fairly priced, with many regional reds from Italy, and for dessert they had a sampler plate with 5 different ones and the topper was a table side preparation of hand whipped cream with marsala poured onto fresh berries and ice cream that was tops ! The staff never let our water glasses go empty, nor let the delicious bread baskets run dry - and at the end they served us maccarones on the house to have with our Grappas and espresso. No kidding - a VERY fairly priced, well prepared and carefully executed Italian meal with little pretense and only great tastes and professionalism from start to finish. WE WILL BE BACK and WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE FOLKS. Seriously, I only wish I had such a solid meal during my last trip to Italy. DO NOT HESITATE TO BOOK A RESERVATION and TRY THESE GUYS OUT. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED ! Ciao baby !!

Reviewed December 14, 2011

liked: good service, tasty black truffel ravioli, down to earth and non pretentious place. Can go with friends or for a more relaxed business dinner.
disliked: the shrimp cocktail on the mixed cold appetizers was not great - compared with the other dishes on the platter.