“a wonderful experience”

Hotel Adlon Kempinski
Ranked #14 of 633 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed April 5, 2010

The Adlon - a classy hotel with beautiful features and outstanding staff that go the extra mile.

Booked an Easter package online which included accommodation, breakfasts and an Easter Brunch. On arrival an upgrade to a Suite for an extra 100 Euro was offered, which was a lot less than the best online rate.

The room was lovely and spacious for a European hotel. Although classified as a Suite, the extra room was really a lounge area rather than an extra room or extra bathroom. There was a double sink in the bathroom and separate toilet and shower. The shower was lovely with a bench to sit, rain showerhead and also the option to turn the shower into a steam room (but did not get a chance to try that). Great deep bath with good salts which takes a tall person easily.

The bed was a 4-poster but a little hard for my liking. Otherwise it was huge and the sheets were soft and comfortable. Pillow menu was available.

The hotel is dog friendly. Expensive at 50 Euro a day but the staff delivered a dog bed and feeding bowls to the room. Plus a dog treat that our small dog did not manage to finish within the 3 days we were there. Our dog was welcome in the bar which was lovely for a late night drink. The back door of the hotel can take you straight to the Tiergarten which was good for the pup and also wonderful for a stroll...

As mentioned by any others, the location of the hotel is the best in Berlin. A few steps to the Brandenberg Gate and all the new buildings and monuments around there. Just wonderful for a weekend break. Parking onsite was good although we did not use it during our stay - around 32 Euro a day.

Finally, the Brunch in Quarre restaurant for Easter Sunday was huge and good value. For an extra 30 Euro you can free-flow Champagne (Moet Vintage) which is excellent value. 3 hours on a Sunday with fantastic food was a joy. Room service was excellent - we had the surf and turf.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 28, 2010

A beautiful old fashioned looking hotel, but with everything "modern" you could wish for. The staff were friendly and efficient, the rooms very well appointed with a lot of thought and taste. You can open the windows and in spite being next to the Brandenburger Tor the noise was minimal. My only complaint was that on two out of three breakfasts we were bid upstairs, because downstairs was pretty full. The room itself was dark and more suited for dinner and the breakfast buffet required a longish walk. Not really good enough for the price even if the choice was as good as it gets.
Still, a lovely place to stay.
If you want to go on a city tour please try and avoid the "Berlin City Tour" with live commentary in english and german. Mainly in german, messy and rushed and stopping rather a long time and various points to wait for more business.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Combine the history of this great hotel plus Berlin's amazing past and a trip here becomes transformational in ones understanding of all the noteworthy things that have transpired here. This hotel reflects the old world luxury expected of discerning travelers. From the truly heavenly beds to the marble spa showers, no detail is too small for this fine hotel staff to offer to its guests.

Being at a guest at a business convention, our food service was slightly better than other hotels where we have gone on similar trips, but in fairness, banquet-type food is difficult to maintain it's inherent quality. Breakfasts became a little monotonous after a few days, but lunch and dinner were more creative. For a change of pace, one night our company travel staff took us for dinner at the famous KaDeWe department store food hall. We had the entire hall to ourselves and had unlimited access to every vendor's wares. It was simply remarkable and I would highly recommend a side trip for anyone visiting Berlin.

A side note...this hotel was the site of the infamous Michael Jackson event where he dangled his son over the balcony railing.

My apologies for not having my usual pictures with my reviews, but I have only recently run across these notes from our trip and still have not located the pictures. You may visit their website for a general idea of this beautiful hotel, however.

Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed March 7, 2010

This hotel is real history. Best location, very good service, and mazing spa. Highly recommend it as a Berlin must.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank RamziBBFR
Reviewed March 6, 2010

WOW, what a Hotel!!!! You have to stay there to understand… They’ll do anything, or almost, for their guests. My 4 year old daughter asked for shell shaped pasta (which they didn’t have) and the Concierge sent someone to find it in a grocery store! Adlon is, with no doubt, one of the finest hotels in all of Europe. Going back in June

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank mikeMontreal_Quebec
Reviewed February 13, 2010

We stayed at the Adlon for the Christmas markets (and Joes birthday surprise weekend) in early December. From start to finish the experience was exceptional.

The reception staff are multilingual which made checking in incredibly easy. Every guest is then taken personally to their room where they are shown everything the hotel has to offer to enhance your stay (even including the air conditioning which can be set at different temperatures for the two sides of the bed!)

Before arrival, we read that if your stay was in relation to a special occasion, the hotel would try and upgrade you, provided they were notified before your arrival. For Joe's birthday, they were able to accomodate this, and we were upgraded to a fantastic room that overlooked the Brandenburg gate. As a further surprise, there was a beautifuly hand made birthday cake and card waiting for Joe.

The hotel is true class, and besides from their birthday generosity, it was the subtle touches that couldn't fail to impress. The pillow menu, the quality of the bed, the christmas decorations, and possibly our favourite, the red stocking that was left for us on the door containing some fresh fruit, nuts, buscuits and hand made chocolates.

We had afternoon tea in the loune twice, and altough you should be prepared to pay for this, it is an experience that is unforgettable.

The location was perfect, with an undergound station outside the hotel, and historic landmarks and magical christmas markets only a short walk away.

This is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JoeGem
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I was on a 5-cities-in-6-days business trip in Europe in late January 2010, with all the risks of January air travel in Europe. Arriving at the Adlon Hotel in Berlin on the afternoon of January 27, I certainly did not expect or need another hassle of body searches to get into the hotel. Nonetheless, that is what happened, and as a result, I will never stay at the Adlon again—although I have enjoyed visits there in the past.

When my cab approached the Adlon, we were stopped several blocks away and slowly moved, in snow, to a tent one and a half blocks away from the hotel. I was rudely ordered out of the cab by a guard with a weapon and escorted like a criminal into a tent, where I was ordered about in very rude language. I was then escorted by a guard, carrying my two bags myself for the block and a half into the Adlon lobby,. There, I was told to take off my clothing down to my shirt and trousers, and submitted to a body search. Once through the scanning machine, a very officious woman demanded my passport and drivers license and in very rude language told me to turn one of them in. She sent me to the opposite desk to do this, where I was given a security badge with the order to wear it at all times, in full sight, when in the hotel. I was told that if I needed to leave the hotel, I would need to go through the entire process again.

After redressing and finally making it to the reception desk, I presented my American Express card for checkin. In response, the young man behind the counter, a hotel employee, snarled at me “what do you want, what are you doing here?” I explained that I was there, of course, to check in. I gave him my name again, and without looking me up in the computer, he snarled, “we have no record of your reservation.” At this point, fortunately, a women desk person took over and immediately pulled up my reservation and checked me in.

Next, two armed guards came up, carrying weapons, and proceeded to escort me to my room, which was located far away on the back side of the hotel, on the ground floor. Not a very desirable room, and not at all comparable to the room I had there last January.

When I went out to a meeting the afternoon of Jan. 27, the guard desk was initially unable to locate my drivers license—it had been misfiled, and I had to find it for them. Upon returning two hours later, I was taken to task for not having turned in my security badge when I left the hotel. I explained to the very officious official, who seemed to be a hotel employee, that I had no way of knowing what their procedures were, and it was their responsibility to have taken my badge—and inappropriate for them to be shouting at me for still having the badge in my possession.

That evening, when I went down to the Restaurant Quarre for dinner, I asked for a table with a view of the Brandenburg gate. This should not have been a problem, since the hotel and restaurant were very sparsely populated. But the woman at the restaurant reception desk said rudely to me, “it will be impossible to give you a table with such a view.” I pointed out that most tables in the restaurant were empty, and asked why not. Only then was I seated at a table with the requested view. During my entire meal, other tables with gate views remained unfilled.

I understand that the reason for the elaborate and intense security was that a foreign chief of state was staying at the Adlon. This does not excuse the fact that guests were not alerted in advance that they would be put through such time-wasting treatment as a result of this official’s presence, so that they would have known to go to another hotel. It was also inexcusable that hotel staff was not present at the security gates to assure that guests were treated respectfully. Most inexcusable was the unprovoked rudeness to paying ordinary guests by staff at the Hotel’s own reception desk. I also wonder if the German prime minister does not have a guest house at which visiting heads of state can be lodged—so that hotel guests are not relegated to nonperson status.

As a result of this experience, I will never stay at the Adlon again, and would not recommend it to anyone. Ordinary business travels just do not matter to them.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business