“My favorite hotel!”

Hotel Adlon Kempinski
Ranked #15 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Went to visit relatives in Berlin Fr-Sun over Easter weekend. Stayed at the Adlon, our second time there (last was in 2010). From the warm greeting (with Prosecco upon arrival at the front desk) to the check-in desk attendant taking us to our rooms - to the luggage arriving the moment we arrive at the room - the Adlon has the best service! Rooms are spacious, full bath tub and separate shower and "water closet" (WC/toilet). We had 2 connecting rooms. Bathrobes, slippers, umbrellas, room controls (TV, heat, lighting) at bedside (both night-tables have this!) the rooms are well appointed, elegant and feel like home. There is no better in-room minibar! Also desk and electronic connections for charging are excellent. Loved the pool with poolside bar/health drinks, gym, sauna, etc. Also the lobby bar and afternoon tea/coffee/drinks with special desserts are not to be missed. The Adlon's buffet is the one of the best ever, and room service is great. Elegant and classy hotel at the same time very comfortable - my "home away from home" in Berlin!

Room Tip: Pay the extra money for a room with a view of Unter de Linden and Brandenburg Gate. 4th or 5th floor...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Adlon Kempinski

Reviewed May 11, 2013

I booked the Adlon Hotel, because I heard it had a good reputation. Although it's a good hotel in many respects, I was somewhat disappointed by my experience there. The worst part was the check-in experience. Because I arrived on an early morning flight, I had requested an early check-in. I arrived just before noon on a Sunday. The receptionist said that my room was not ready. I asked when it would be ready, but she could not give me an answer. This was very disappointing. When I pressed the issue, she said that they only guarantee a 3 pm check-in. I said that I understood that, but I had requested an early check-in and she should be able to tell me the approximate time I could check in. She was still very vague, behaving more like a government bureaucrat than a person welcoming me to a quality hotel. Finally, I said I would take a walk for an hour, then check back around 1 pm. When I returned, they still wouldn't tell me anything. I was already tired from the flight, so the poor reception was especially annoying. I asked to speak to the manager, but he was no help either. He sounded like a German bureaucrat, saying only that 3 pm was the only time guaranteed. I told him I understood that, but that a well-managed hotel should try to make an accommodation for a guest.

I checked in again at 1:40 pm and the receptionist told me that the room had been cleaned, but that it had to be inspected. I told them I didn't need an inspection, just let me check-in and I will overlook anything not quite right. They said I could not check-in without an inspection. I said that an inspection should take no more than 15 minutes, so I would check back at 2 pm. When I returned, the room was still not ready, so I waited in the lobby. Finally, at 2:50 pm, they let me check in.

Once I got in, the room was mostly adequate. However, the shower stall was extremely small, so that one person could barely fit in. The overall experience is not what a 5-star hotel should be.

To be fair, there are some good things about the hotel. The concierge staff was excellent and provided good information about Berlin and sold me advance tickets to museums. The lobby is very nice and has a piano-player in the evening. The locations is mixed. It's right next to the Brandenburg Gate and the Tiergarten, but it is dead at night. There are too many government buildings around including the massive, one-block long Russian Embassy, so there is an absence of shops and cafes. If you want to pay five-star prices, I recommend looking for another hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sebastian99
Reviewed May 7, 2013

For a city hotel the Adlon Kempinski is in the top division. Breakfast buffet and specials excellent; room a good size, well laid out and quiet, which is a real benefit. Why don't other hotels think to have access to the WC from both the room lobby and the bathroom? The facilities were all present and correct, with a spa, restaurants, hair salon, shops etc. The location is superb, within a few meters of the Brandenberg Gate and the Jewish Memorial, and an easy walk from Gendarmenmarkt , Tranenpalast, and several others. Minor service niggles were our only issue.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Travelocity629
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed years ago in this iconic hotel. Everything changed and looks like a westin hotel now. Modern, beige and dark wood. The lobby is quite dark and sad due to the last of lighting. Rooms are much better although you need a master to switch on lights. The worst was the reception desk where ost of people had to wait so long to check in and out. No taxi outside.... for a 5 star hotel, quite unusual but Berlin is still a young city .

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank b0nstanislas
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We spent a long weekend in Berlin in early April and chose the Adlon Kempinski by the Brandenburg Gate, ideally situated in the city with convenient access to the sights & shops.

The room was comfortable and well appointed with good amenities provided, breakfast was included in the price and we were not disappointed with the choices of food. All staff we encountered were polite and made their way to give us that extra bit of service. (Although when we asked for extra shower gel, it took several attempts to obtain this, but eventually, it did appear - small bottles).

All in all a most enjoyable experience coupled with chauffeur driven journeys from airport to hotel & return and with the various sights we saw, a big must. Hotel Adlon, you must stay in.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor, no real issues where we were based.
1  Thank Jim D
Reviewed May 4, 2013

There is no question that this is an excellent hotel. The service is very attentive and the location is simply great.

The spa is very beautiful and well appointed.

Our room was very nice.

The lobby is rather small and crowded. The lobby bar is operpriced.

It is difficult to explain why - but somehow my experience at the Adlon was somehow disappointing.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks Unter den Linden
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We love this hotel because has atmosphere but during the Easter was so crowded. Breakfast was very tasty. Lobby bar was always crowded as well. We had in lobby bar salad nicoise which was very average but club sendvich was good. We were suprised that Michelin and other restaurant is closed on Sunday. I understand Sunday is closed but no at Eater time.We visited privat spa which was amazing. Service was perfect.