“Beautifully appointed (newly built) grand dame”

Hotel Adlon Kempinski
Ranked #15 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
new york
“Beautifully appointed (newly built) grand dame”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Service is exquisite. Lobby lounge buzzing all day. Lovely room with fantastic bathroom (we did receive an AMEX upgrade, so was much better than the category we had booked). Lavish buffet breakfast. Location can't be beat. Be aware that there are many "bad" rooms with views over a dark concrete side street. So if you want the full experience get an expensive room. Also, this hotel is a bit of a tourist attraction, so there are groups of ill-dressed people standing around in front and also in the lobby lounge. However, we loved the hotel and would definitely stay there again on our next trip to Berlin. Lunch in the Quarre restaurant was great.

Room Tip: book an expensive room if you want an expensive view !
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rover28

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hamburg
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I went to Berlin in December for Christmas-Shopping at KaDeWe.
I try a new Luxury Hotel every Year and 2012 it was time for the historic Adlon.
The service was good but not perfect. I asked at the reservation for a very quite room and they gave me one on the corner of a crossing street.
So i had to change it and they made me pay for the upgrade cause no other rooms in my booking class were available.
And to be honest- they need to renovate it a little to stay on their high class standard.

For me- the best hotel in Berlin is still the Regent!!
I love it!!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Sven P
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I like the Adlon a lot. Ever since the first time I had pre-dinner cocktails in the lobby bar 4 years ago I have made a point to stay or visit in this hotel whenever I travel to Berlin. On this occasion, my wife and I were celebrating. I mentioned this in advance and the manager very kindly and unexpectedly upgraded us to a junior suite!

Overall this was a great stay. The service is usually very attentive and good. The ambience, decor and location are excellent. The food and drinks are also good, with a couple of small exceptions (see below). And the staff are friendly and go out of their way to help. Example, when i wanted some light savoury snacks to go with my drink (not a meal) my cocktail waitress at the lobby bar arranged some canapés from the kitchen off the menu, which were delicious.

There were however a number of small let downs during this stay, which by themselves are trivial, but altogether made the difference between a great or good experience:

- on the first night one of the TVs (in the lounge area of our suite) didn't work. Also there were two lights not working! These were all fixed the next day after we told reception.
- Our bed mattress had definitely seen better days. It was very soft and saggy on one side, while better on the other... I took the bad side :)
- we went for the generally very good buffet breakfast on Sunday, but were let down by a very poor, not freshly prepared eggs Benedict (hard yolk! Dry sauce! Soggy spinach! Cold!). Also, although sausages and hash browns/rostis were on the menu, they were not available...
- on the same day we had lunch in the lobby and perhaps because it was Sunday (and they were short staffed?), we had to ask for the bill 3 times over 25 minutes before being able to sign and leave.
- again on that same day, despite leaving our room at 0930 for breakfast and turning on the "make up my room" light, by 3pm the room still had not been cleaned, which normally would not be such a big deal, but wife was unwell and wanted to lie down.

Finally, as mentioned I love the lobby bar and the drinks are great... as long as you order from the menu. I think it would add great value to have the bar staff trained in the art of the classic cocktail and be able to improvise off menu. For instance, there is no "Old Fashioned" on the menu and the attempt to make one was not good. A small thing for some, but a game changer for others.

All in all a great hotel, but even the best hotels can strive for perfection.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Shogan77
Cathedral City, California
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I am a very frequent business traveller and visit Europe at least 4x per year for work. I have to say, this is perhaps the nicest hotel I've stayed at on the continent. Berliners will tell you it is THE hotel in the city, by reputation. It is famous for, among other things, Michael Jackson dangling his baby out the window.

The rooms are spacious and beautifully appointed. The services are all top notch including a coffee or tea delivered with your wake-up call each morning, a juice and snack delivered with turndown service, large bottles of Evian replaced when the room is cleaned and/or turned down and overnight shoe shines...all of which are complimentary. Internet speed is strong and staff is polite and efficient in the typical German manner.

This hotel was the highlight of my journey and I will certainly return in the future.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank OnePassPlatinum
Manchester
Reviewed February 15, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the hotel which fully lived up to our expectations based on all the great reviews. The room was fantastic. We were upgraded to a suite overlooking the Brandenburg Gate which was beautifully finished and so luxurious, especially the bathroom with our own steam room. My 13 year old son expecially appreciated the welcome room service delivery of coke cola, popcorn and chocolate which made him feel special too. I booked direct with the hotel and got a great rate too which made the stay good value.

The hotel manages to perfectly balance good and attentive service, with a friendly approach which makes you feel comfortable and at home. My husband liked the access to BBC channels on the TV too, as did my son so he could still watch Top Gear!

The lobby bar was a great place to have an evening drink and watch the world go by. The Adlon breakfast was expensive but a lovely experience and my son absoultely loved it and I think probably got his money's worth!!!

The pool was lovely, if a little cold. We did not accept the offer to show us the room which we should probably have done as there is a lot to find in the room and a lot of switches which we only discovered gradually! There was no information in the room about the rest of the hotel, the pool etc and I assume this would have been explained then too.

Great location with easy access to public transport and also plentiful supply of taxis.

All in all, a lovely, relaxing and luxurious break and we would love to stay again soon. We also loved Berlin, a great place for a family break with lots to see and do for all ages.

Room Tip: Worth the extra for a room overlooking the Brandenburg Gate.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DD70
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2013

On buisness trip in Germany this week. In Berlin I stayed at the dalton kempinski. Not as great as I expected. My room was small and no view. The receptionist was rude as they could not find my booking due to wrong date input in the system. Concierge misplaced my parcel and sent it to other guest. Not good

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Desmet666
kosinlay, Manager at Hotel Adlon Kempinski, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Dear esteemed reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts in this review. Your comments are very meaningful to us as we strive for a constant review and improvements of our daily operations. We take pride in offering you a superior product and personalized service that goes beyond the expected. I am sorry to read that your stay with the hotel Adlon Kempinski has not met your expectations. So please accept my sincere apologies as I can assure you that this is not our standard.

Please contact me personally at franck.droin (at) kempinski.com to give me more insights on your experience while staying with us. I will then be able to investigate further into your mentioned challenges with our respective departments.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. I am looking to welcoming you back to the Hotel Adlon Kempinski.

With best regards,

Franck Droin
Hotel Manager
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here during our first night in Berlin, primarily for the Adlon's stellar location and renown. We are confident in saying this is by the far best hotel we have stayed in and we endorse the endless reviews below that echo this impression.

The location was perfect for exploring Unter den Linden, the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag. This was a convenient location for our whirlwind tour of the area.

More importantly, the Hotel itself was stunning. The staff were warm and attentive. We were greeted with glasses of prosseco upon arrival and obtained immediate access to the room. We were encouraged to use the concierge (which we subsequently did to obtain restaurant recommendations) and were personally taken to our room.

The room itself was flawless. Spacious with a smart floor plan, all the bells you'd expect of a 5 star establishment (heated floor, elegant bathroom, overnight shoe shining service). Room was well-lit and all relevant controls conveniently located in the bedside drawers. Turndown service that night demonstrated careful attention to detail and was a pleasant surprise when we returned from dinner that night.

Early in the morning we used the pool and sauna, and had the facilities to ourselves. The warren of rooms downstairs comprises various relaxation areas, plunge pools, multiple types of showers. We only returned to the room due to lack of time!

Unfortunately we didn't have time to dine in the Hotel, but I'm sure we will when we return to Berlin and most certainly the Adlon for (at least one night's) accommodation. We couldn't recommend this Hotel more highly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple