“Ok but not great”

Hotel Adlon Kempinski
Ranked #12 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed February 13, 2013

On buisness trip in Germany this week. In Berlin I stayed at the dalton kempinski. Not as great as I expected. My room was small and no view. The receptionist was rude as they could not find my booking due to wrong date input in the system. Concierge misplaced my parcel and sent it to other guest. Not good

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Desmet666
kosinlay, Manager at Hotel Adlon Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Dear esteemed reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts in this review. Your comments are very meaningful to us as we strive for a constant review and improvements of our daily operations. We take pride in offering you a superior product and personalized service that goes beyond the expected. I am sorry to read that your stay with the hotel Adlon Kempinski has not met your expectations. So please accept my sincere apologies as I can assure you that this is not our standard.

Please contact me personally at franck.droin (at) kempinski.com to give me more insights on your experience while staying with us. I will then be able to investigate further into your mentioned challenges with our respective departments.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. I am looking to welcoming you back to the Hotel Adlon Kempinski.

With best regards,

Franck Droin
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,714)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here during our first night in Berlin, primarily for the Adlon's stellar location and renown. We are confident in saying this is by the far best hotel we have stayed in and we endorse the endless reviews below that echo this impression.

The location was perfect for exploring Unter den Linden, the Brandenburg Gate and the Reichstag. This was a convenient location for our whirlwind tour of the area.

More importantly, the Hotel itself was stunning. The staff were warm and attentive. We were greeted with glasses of prosseco upon arrival and obtained immediate access to the room. We were encouraged to use the concierge (which we subsequently did to obtain restaurant recommendations) and were personally taken to our room.

The room itself was flawless. Spacious with a smart floor plan, all the bells you'd expect of a 5 star establishment (heated floor, elegant bathroom, overnight shoe shining service). Room was well-lit and all relevant controls conveniently located in the bedside drawers. Turndown service that night demonstrated careful attention to detail and was a pleasant surprise when we returned from dinner that night.

Early in the morning we used the pool and sauna, and had the facilities to ourselves. The warren of rooms downstairs comprises various relaxation areas, plunge pools, multiple types of showers. We only returned to the room due to lack of time!

Unfortunately we didn't have time to dine in the Hotel, but I'm sure we will when we return to Berlin and most certainly the Adlon for (at least one night's) accommodation. We couldn't recommend this Hotel more highly.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dlfawcett
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

The bathrooms have heated floors, need I say more. The rooms were as nice as I have ever stayed in. Had a small service issue when I checked in but beyond that great stay. The breakfast buffet was tops along with the lobby area bar.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is my third stay at the Adlon. What's great about it. First the location, next to the Brandenberg Gate, the Tiergarten and good shopping and restaurants. Second, the attention to details is very much evident. I had negotiated breakfast and wifi ahead of time to be included in my rate. Third, I ate at the Adlon Lorenz restaurant, truly a memorable, albeit somewhat expensive meal. And this time I met Sigourney Weaver in the elevator!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank suzijaffe
Reviewed February 2, 2013

There's a reason this hotel is rated as highly as it is on TripAdvisor. A great location, and sense of atmosphere and history. Breakfast was very good and trying hard but probably not the best we've had. Still charging (apparently) for wifi but I did mysteriously pick up a free connection... Such a good hotel that anything negative is almost nitpicking. I'd recommend it unreservedly. Our room had a lovely view of the Brandenburg Gate, really lovely bathroom, and the best cot and linen for our 2 year old I've ever seen. Staff were excellent and the restaurant was great - again, very accommodating of our son, and welcoming, and we didn't feel out of place with him there. 5 stars.

Room Tip: If you are staying here it's worth getting a view!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TCA
Reviewed January 29, 2013

For sure, if you visit Berlin and if you have the chance, just stay there.
The location is perfect, but Berlin is big and there are also several good locations and 5*hotels.
My stay was really unforgettable, but if you take it serious, than for sure an absolutely no go for one of the best hotels of Germany.
The service was really perfect. After the check-in a really friendly lady brought me to the room...oops what happened, she tried to show me my room, but someone was laying in my bed. Okay, back to the check-in, next room without my luggage. Instead of waiting of my luggage I did a visit of Berlin. After six hours I went back to the hotel, but no luggage was waiting for me. Several calls to the front-desk and concierge...After that I ordered the food from the roomservice...waiting...waiting...no luggage, no food. I went downstairs after a short conversation. Everything was delivered, but should this really happend after more than six hours and do not need questions, like if I really gave my luggage to the concierge.
Next day...ordering of the food directly at the bar. Mmmh a delicious coconut soup..this was the plan. What was delivered?!? Maybe the most expensive and disgusting soup of Berlin. I asked for the cook, unfortunately this poor person was not able to explain me how he cooked this soup. Maybe he should not use a finished product. What a shame for the most expensive coconut soup I ever had.
The oysters were delicious.

For sure the service of the Adlon is awesome, perfect location, very impressive facility and better than in the most 5*hotels, but Adlon is also not a quite normal hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank wiebri
kosinlay, Manager at Hotel Adlon Kempinski, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Esteemed Reviewer,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your opinion in this review. Your comments are highly appreciated as we strive to improve our daily operations. It is our utmost aim to provide you with a superior product and personal service far beyond expectations. I am sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations while staying with us at the Hotel Adlon Kempinski Berlin. Please accept my sincere apologies for your check-in and your culinary experience.

I kindly ask you to contact me at franck.droin (at) kempinski.com to give me the chance to apologize in person and to share your thoughts of improvement for the respective departments.

Again, I thank you for this review and I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel Adlon Kempinski Berlin.

Kind regards,
Franck Droin
Hotel Manager

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just got back yesterday from staying at this hotel for 4 days. The location is outstanding. And the hotel is very beautiful. However I didn't feel at ease here. Everything was over priced, and not to a high standard. So we ate out every day and didn't take any produce from the mini bar.
I loved Berlin, and am looking forward to going back again, however I would never stay at this hotel again. No way is it worth its price! It's not a great a hotel for a break of pleasure, everything felt cold and business like.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple