“Top notch”

Hotel Adlon Kempinski
Ranked #15 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed January 19, 2012

As soon as I made eye contact with the front entrance valet, and I am still maybe 40 feet away walking towards the entrance, he came running to relieve me from my suitcase. I was then shown/escorted to the reception desk with 5 more staff members waiting to help me. A glass of champagne was poured, and I once again was escorted to my room by a staff member, who then explained all different switches that can be found in the room. Some people might say this is "too much", but I think it is proper service. My suitcase came within 5 minutes of me checking into my room (when I am still being debriefed about the switches), and then a vase of flowers, and then a plate of petit fours. My suite faces the Unter de Linden with a view of the Brandenburg Gate (if you stick your head out of the window and look to your left). Although on the second floor, the sound proof windows kept the noise outside. As others have mentioned, the bath products are superb, and the heated floor is a wonderful addition. Room service is prompt. Everybody I have met was extremely courteous, and they also seem to remember my name. I feel very safe at this location with the security presence as well as guests have to parade through the reception area before able to reach the elevators, of which are card keys operated only. The formal restaurant is closed for the week, so I ended up having dinner at their Cafe, which was pretty decent as well. There are plenty of eateries around the neighborhood and walking around that area at night was not a problem either since there are extra securities patroling the embassy district surrounding the hotel. Unlike the Ritz in London where gentlemen guests were to wear ties and jackets, even in the lobby area, I felt at ease wearing jeans and ski jacket. I would pick this over the Ritz Carlton simply based on location and what is around.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank Enjoys_Relaxing

Reviewed January 16, 2012

Went to Berlin for xmas and decided to treat ourselves to this hotel and wish we hadn't. No reflection on the room or facilities as they are top class as you would expect of a top hotel. The issue was what were ridiculous costs for drinks and meals. I've stayed in a lot of hotels but never paid Euro$78 for breakfast or euro$40 for 2 drinks at the bar. If its meant to keep the riff raff out then it works as i wouldn't go back but what you get is lots of 'pretentiousness' with staff walking around holding peoples 'rat' dogs for them and no atmosphere in the bar or restaurants. Location is perfect looking onto the Brandenburg gate but not for me.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank ronniemarks
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Excelent hotel, classy, knowedgeable staff. Top of the line. The concierge perhaps a bit overrated since you have to state your request to the operator before they answer your call.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank eolmosc
Reviewed January 11, 2012

I stayed at the Adlon for the very first time in December 2011. Being a hotelier myself I had great expectations which I have to say were not just met, they were exceeded. I arrived by taxi and the bellman opening the door greeted me by name. Very impressive. He took care of the luggage and accompanied me to the reception. A friendly young man checked me in and even upgraded me to a nice Junior Suite. A Russian hostess brought me to my room and showed me the amenities. Some people may like this but I personally find this a touch too much as she was talking all the way not realizing I was just tired and not in the mood to chat. Luggage was delivered promptly. The suite was very clean and on the 4th floor on the backside of the hotel (very quiet). Nothing was missing really except for international power plugs and maybe a larger TV in the living room (only 32in). The bed was very comfortable and I had a good night's sleep. A nice feature in the shower stall is a steambath which you need to turn on about 10mins before you want to enjoy it. The amenities are of very good quality and the bathtub has jets. Very nice.
However the most awesome thing was the concierge service. I needed to move some flights around and they took care of it professionally and efficiently. Congratulations for a job very well done.
Overall a perfect experience. I would recommend this hotel to anyone without hesitation. You do get what you pay for.

Room Tip: quiet rooms are in the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank revilo7777
Reviewed January 10, 2012

I stayed here in December for 4 nights and could not have picked a better hotel. It is right next to the Brandenburg Gate with great access around the City both on foot and in car. The hotel was excellent and certainly lived up to its 5star rating. Rooms were excellent with choice of pillows and bedside controls for lights and air con. Bathrooms were also well appointed with his and her sinks, a bath and seperate shower. Facilities in the the hotel were very good and all of a level you'd expect with a 5 star. I had several meals and drinks in thevarious restaurants and bars and not one disapointed and there was also a great choice for breakfasts.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Paul G
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I stayed here for 6 nights last summer, a woman traveling alone. My gay male cousin was staying on a different floor. In a town where almost everything is "alternative" (as Berliners like to call themselves and their city instead of grungy, vanguard, etc.) this place is a bation of bourgeois more suited to Munich or Frankfurt. The location is great, central and amid all the sights. The lobby is nice, traditional but not distinctive. Front desk service is friendly and competent. The room was spacious enough, except that it looked into a courtyard where the hotel employees came to take their cigarette breaks. But hey, I'm all for people watching and workers having breaks. The bathroom and amenities were cool. They had the bubble bath for the tub in a little honey pot, too cute! However, housekeeping wasn't that great. I stayed from a Tuesday through the week-end. On no night except on Friday (when the hotel gets crowded with locals either with wives or girlfriends) was the bed turned down. I thought, this being Berlin turn down service must've been too bourgeois :) of an expectation. But it had been offered regularly once I checked, although for some reason not in my room. Also, the bottled water wasn't replenished regularly or consistently. I called and asked for flat water, but got fizzy instead. I called back but never received any. Finally, I had to take it from the mini-bar. Annoying when the place is 5 stars, charges as such and the water is supposed to be complimentary. I guess if I had complained, they would've rectified the matter, but it just wasn't worth it. Upon my return they sent a survery to a "Mr." I completed it, letting them know that I was a female and had stayed not for a single night but a week. No reply back. So, the service isn't too personal and they don't seem to give a hoot. Still, if you aren't an alternative type, you won't find a more uber place in Berlin.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank smir5864
Reviewed January 8, 2012

The Adlon is a real five star hotel. It is in a prime location at the Brandenburg Gate on the Unter den Linden. It is an easy stroll to the Museum Island and an even easier stroll to the Reichtag building. To visit this you have to book on line or by email.

A good way to spend the morning is to make an early visit to the Reichtag dome then have breakfast in the restaurant. This is very popular with Berliners so you need to book in advance for a weekend visit.

Rooms at the Adlon are very reasonably priced by comparison with,say, London. Drinks are a bit expensive though.

Room Tip: The higher the better.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple