“Gorgeous church & interesting crypt”
Review of Berlin Cathedral

Ranked #17 of 841 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This ornate Protestant cathedral is one of Berlin's best known landmarks.
Reviewed July 24, 2013

If you are fascinated by architecture, you'll love this church. It is very beautiful, from top to bottom. Be sure to get the discount if you get the Berlin Welcome Card. We stopped here on a Sunday afternoon, and the crowds weren't bad at all. It was a nice relief from the heat outside, and it was nice to be able to sit on the pews to take a break from walking around. You could spend a good 30 minutes just marveling at the inside of the church, though you may want to allot about 2 hours for the full experience. Just a tip: the higher up you go within the church, the more narrow the stairs get. If you want to go to the very top, make sure you're not already tired out. Be sure to go down to the bottom of the church to the crypt, where many members of royalty lay. We found it to be the most interesting part of the experience, and we almost skipped it!

2  Thank deebeeinar
There are newer reviews for Berlin Cathedral

Reviewed July 24, 2013

When in Berlin this is worth visiting this Cathedral if you have the time. It is beautiful on the outside and not so impressive on the inside. There is a beautiful lawn in front of it which makes the Cathedral look even grander. It makes for a great picture with the group on the lawn with the Cathedral in the background.

1  Thank gregmNY
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The cathedral was so magnificent! It was worth the money. The only thing is that I ended up having a panic attack when I reached the Dome. I didn't know we had to walk outside to reach the exit, and we walked very high up! As long as you are prepared for that, you can get some amazing sky high photos of the city. Luckily my husband took over the camera duties as he tried to drag me around the dome to the exit lol. But I recommend it. I wish I had not gotten a bout of vertigo and had enjoyed making it to the top of the cathedral more.

1  Thank songbirdmgmt
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The Berliner Dom is definitely worth a visit. I was eager to see the Pergamon Museum, but our guide stopped here on the way and I felt a little impatient. However, when we entered the Cathedral, I understood why we had been taken there. This church is not nearly as old as many of the famous Cathedrals of Italy and France, nor as stunning as the "modern" Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, but it is still very lovely. I happily spent nearly an hour admiring the sculpture and the stained glass, while my partner succeeded to climb to the top of the Dom. He managed to get a good bird's eye view of Berlin from up there and it was a great place to take a camera. I would certainly recommend a stop here, especially if you are close to the Museum anyway!

1  Thank triciamack
Reviewed July 16, 2013

It's pretty yes, but it comes at a cost. It's worth visiting if you're in the museum island area. But if you're tired of churches in Europe, it's skippable. Don't get me wrong, it's beautiful. But it's no Sagrada Familia. With the Berlin Welcome card, there's a small discount.

1  Thank redningja