“Different”
Review of Komische Oper

Komische Oper
Ranked #98 of 883 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: This opera house stages modern comic performances.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

From the outside the building is nothing special, but inside it is truly beautiful. We went for the MAYUMANA show, an Israeli production with rythm, music and acrobatic. Expected a better dance performance. All over ok, but expensive.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We saw The Magic Flute and then Monteverdi's Orpheus. We were so impressed we wanted to book for a third night but couldn't manage it.
I hate pointless cleverness and novelty, and have been bored to tears by uncreative complicated trendy stagings I have seen in England, so it was a bit of a leap of faith to go to The Magic Flute which was staged in the style of a silent film - the singers interacting with projected cartoon type images. The staging seemed exactly right for the cartoon like plot of The Magic Flute. The production overflowed with humour and energy. we were so impressed we went a second night - to see Orpheus
Orpheus was equally a surprise. A more traditional staging perhaps, but with splendid stage setting and again overflowing energy, humour, seriousness and enthusiasm.The company used the auditorium to its best - the small area being filled on occasions with the singers.
They were very physical production - ensemble dancing and acting: I have never seen singers singing while running or carrying somebody else around the stage!
The prices are incredibly cheap compared to the prices charged in the UK
The atmosphere is relaxed and smart (although not compulsory). There is none of the snobbishness associated with opera and serious theatre in the UK. And the free glass of wine on entry was a nice touch. The programmes are good value and entertaining and informative.
I have not been so impressed by creativity since the days of the Royal Shakespeare Company in the early 1970s

1  Thank cordelia2512
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Enjoyable modern productions - if you want something more traditional the other two Berlin opera houses might be better for you. Helpful box office staff, multi-lingual subtitles, 25% off with the Berlin welcome card. Reasonable ticket prices - my stalls seat was €35 with the welcome discount.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I like opera, but insist on having it translated, and this opera house has subtitles in front of you in English. Tickets for opera are always pricey, but this was OK. They do "Foyer Concerts" on Sunday Mornings. I enjoyed the one I went to (Mozart) with superb musicians. Short walk from Brandenburg Gate.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I was pleased with Komische Opern even before our visit; I had a lot of questions and all my emails were promptly replied to. It was also very kind to warn us about the violent nature of one of the productions. We decided against it, and were later lucky to get tickets to Die Zauberflöte, which was just exhilarating. The style of production, while completely different from the traditional one, was funny, very ingenious and completely suitable in style for this opera.