“an unforgettable experience”

Deutsche Oper Berlin
Ranked #98 of 928 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: This performance center is the primary place to view opera and ballet in West Berlin.
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Modern building, reasonable prices , perfect view and sound even in the last rows. very much reccomended for opera lovers.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I went on an opera tour from the US to Deutsche Oper, where I was reminded of the old wisdom that you can't judge a book by its cover! Located in what was East Berlin, this theatre doesn't look like much from the outside, so Bauhaus that Gropius might have found it it too plain (:)), but it matters not. The house itself is that lovely smaller European size, a balm for the singers already, but the acoustics are amazing, with bare blank but wooden walls. It sings like a big old violin! And the seats -- which first look uncomfortable -- are beautifully constructed, just the right angles for the long sits, just enough padding but not too much and -- note this, MET fans -- there is enough leg room!!

If I spoke more German, I'd nick them for having the ubertitles too high and faint, but what the heck, I only got about one word out of ten, so it didn't matter.

The entrances do have some attractive staircases, and the facilities for the intermission are all one could want.

Bravo! Brava!

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We came for the jazz sunday, had booked and paid in advance, but the payment was not put through. It took me a few weeks of phoning to get my money back as I had to pay on the day as well. The buffet was okay, but the service very slow.

Reviewed April 16, 2012

Staatsoper being renewed, we choose this one. Great performance, even my husband enjoyed it.

Reviewed March 31, 2012

We booked tickets online in advance to see a concert performance of Candide at the Deutsche Oper. The Opera house itself is easy to get to aas it has it's own dedicated metro station. There was a lovely festive atmosphere in the building before the performance and people had really dressed up - not dissimilar to Covent Garden in London. Free mini pizzas were being handed out and went nicely with our drinks!
Seating was excellent - comfortable and with good visibility. Prices are about half of those at Covent Garden. Unusually, for us, the German tradition seemed to be rapturous applause at every possible opportunity! The performance was really excellent - sung in english with german comentary. A great and worthwhile evening out.