“Stunning!”

Pergamon Museum
Book In Advance
$70.53*
and up
Skip-the-Line Pergamon and New Museum Guided Tour in Berlin including Museum...
$117.15*
Berlin Pass Including Entry to More Than 50 Attractions
$143.45*
Warnemünde Shore Excursion: Berlin City Highlights Tour
Ranked #10 of 829 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This internationally renowned ancient history museum contains several fantastic artifacts, including the huge Altar of Zeus and the famous Ishtar Gate from Babylon.
Durham, England, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Stunning!”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I am not a museum enthusiast but I have to admit I love this place! It's absolutely beautiful, the detail and scale of the place are breathtaking. Very reasonable entrance fee and free headphones and sets to listen to the stories behind the exhibits (all at your own pace). You could spend all day here if you wish.

Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“A Museum with Exhibits of Epic Proportions”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Given that you can visit this museum with the very reasonable museum pass, it is extraordinarily good value. It house the largest indoor museum exhibits I have ever seen. Truly mind blowing. It even managed to draw my teenager's attention away from their mobile device for some time! A first! :-)

1 Thank Calv2002
Glasgow, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“very impressive but buy tickets in advance”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The three main attractions(Pergamon Altar, the Market Gate of Miletus and the Ishtar Gate) are jaw dropping. The combination of the intricacy of the details in them and the sheer scale are inspiring.

We were a bit pushed for time so rushed over the other smaller displays the museum contained, but was definitely worth the entrance fee for what we did see.

This is definitely a unique experience worth seeing if you are in Berlin. Museum island itself is also very impressive to look at, almost like a mini Venice.

My only complain would be how long we had to queue to get tickets. I'd definitely recommend either purchasing a welcome card that includes Museum Island or buying them in advance on their website.

I'd also recommend the DDR museum which is just across the bridge from Museum Island.

1 Thank Ewan M
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 137 helpful votes
“Amazing installations for huge stuff!”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The installation of colossal wall and city parts inside of the museum are really impressive! Use the audio guides, w/o it you won't have much english information.

Houston, Tx
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“If your a visual person, this is the place to go.”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I don't normally do to well at traditional museums, there are often thousands of small items that you have to closely read about to understand their meaning. I love history, but information overload isn't my ideal way to learn. I enjoy places with fewer, but larger pieces that I can admire. This place exceeded my expectations.

First of all, when you first walk in you will see the Pergamon altar, and it will probably fascinate you the way it did me. It is large, and grand, and so very detailed. The large Ishtar gate was also a beauty. These pieces alone are enough to warrant the ticket price. However it doesn't end there.

Whoever created the exhibits here did a wonderful job. The layout is organized, flows easily, and keeps the visitors attention. At the entrance of each exhibit there are a few large items to give you a general feel of the upcoming exhibit area, and than several smaller pieces inside for more detail.

It was interesting to note that most of the items here came from Turkey. I had no idea Berlin would have anything to do with Turkey, and it was pretty cool since I had just stopped at Turkey before Berlin. The Ottoman exhibit was beautiful, and I spent a lot of time there. The Islamic Artwork is also gorgeous, and it makes you wonder how anyone had enough patience to paint such detail.

I really enjoyed this museum due to the eye catching pieces, and flow of the layout. There were many things I have never seen at museums back home: such as the Islamic and Ottoman pieces. This is a sure bet if your looking for a visual and historic attraction. You will not get bored. I didn't do the audio tour part, but I heard it's great so it's worth a try. However, it's just as good without it.