Open today: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM

from $108.75
from $36.25
from $37.12
4,418 results
All reviews holocaust tower daniel libeskind fallen leaves memory void metal faces german jews audio guide anti semitism permanent exhibition new building middle ages amazing architecture thought provoking personal stories exile judaism exhibits
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As someone who studied history, and specifically Jewish history, I was almost ashamed at the quality of this museum. This is a museum attempting to be a modern art museum and failing spectacularly. The Holocaust memorial has very little in it, and the design below is given a lot of attention when it was deeply unimpressive. I'm not entirely sure why the artist is given so much credence. In terms of the other exhibits, it is mostly a collection of photos from Israel that do not even focus on the Jewish experience and was of the quality comparable to if you would hand a kid a fancy camera and let them take pictures of different places in Israel. For a museum that calls itself "the Jewish Museum of Berlin," there was very little Jewish content, very little content about Jews in Berlin (a subject that should have endless material) and for such an enormous building, such a waste. Highly disappointing to the point that I had to restrain myself from asking to speak with the curator to give them a piece of my mind.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

We (I and my wife) visited the Jewish Museum Berlin in January 2020.
We are Jews living in Israel. Of course, Jewish history interested us very much.
Unfortunately the Jewish Museum Berlin not only disappointed us but also upset.
There were only two floors available for observation.

In the first floor there is an exhibition devoted to Holocaust: very few photos, a couple of Judaic items and audio-guide very basic comments with well-known facts about Nazism, Hitler and the concentration camps.
On the other hand the audio-guide told very extensive descriptions about the architecture of the museum building. It seemed that Holocaust was just an occasion for the architect’s ideas and self-expression.
The exhibition made feeling of disrespect and profanation of memory of the Holocaust victims.

In the second floor of the Museum there was an exhibition of photographs of the modern Israel.
Well… Why not? Israel is Jewish country.
The pictures were made by European photographers recently visited Israel.
We viewed the pictures and did not understand, maybe there is another Israel, not the Israel that we live in.
The Israel seen by the photographers is inhabited with ultraorthodox, fanatic settlements and Arabs. All of them live in lifeless desert.
Many of the photo exhibitions were about the Israeli Muslims suffering from the Jewish population.
Is this all that the photographers saw in Israel? It is not necessary to travel anywhere in order to express prejudices and stereotypes.

German Jews contributed a lot in the culture, science, economy of Germany.
Does the Jewish Museum Berlin inform of this?

Anti-Semitism in Germany before the 2nd World War has reached huge scales.
Does the Jewish Museum Berlin try to analyze and explain this phenomenon?

How strong is anti-Semitism in Germany now?
Is the education of guilt and shame capable to control it?
Can the museum visitors receive answers to these questions?

What about the new streams of anti-Semitism:
- Anti-Semitism imported from the Middle East;
- Pseudo-liberal anti-Semitism hiding behind a politically correct mask of anti-Zionism.
Does the museum say anything about this?

The Jewish Museum Berlin is anything but not Jewish.
Its name should be changed.
We regret that visited it. This was totally unexpected and extremely unpleasant experience.

Reviewed January 17, 2020 via mobile

Let’s get this straight, it’s an exhibition, not a museum. Not happy I spent 8 euro on it or that I wasted any of my short time in Berlin. It’s tiny and holds very few pieces of interesting artifacts. Not what you’re expecting at all. Your 8 euro is just paying for a pretty building, that’s all. Avoid and spend your time in Berlin more wisely.

Reviewed January 13, 2020 via mobile

I booked online and upon my arrival, was welcomed to the museum by staff telling me that 80% of the museum was unavailable. On that basis, I elected to not enter the museum and asked for a refund - only to be told that online purchases were non refundable. Feeling that I should try to get something worthwhile from the visit, I entered and downloaded the audio guide. The Axes visit was good, audio worthwhile but there really was nothing else in the museum of substance to appreciate.

Reviewed January 7, 2020

We came here hoping it get a history of the Jews in Berlin and were pretty disappointed. The building had a lot of cool architectural elements but didn't have an excessive amount of Jewish history to it and an entire room was under construction when we went. I'd save your money for the Topography of Terror exhibit which has an immense amount of German/ Jewish history.

Date of experience: September 2019