“Busy Gate”

Ranked #3 of 913 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located in no-man's land between East and West Germany during the Cold War, this famous monument, built during the 18th-century reign of Friedrich Wilhelm II, has long been a defining symbol of Berlin and both the city's division and unification.
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Just one of the many sights to see in Berlin, yes it's busy, but that's the atmosphere there, great to sit and people watch

1  Thank Karen R
Write a ReviewReviews (34,554)

Reviewed July 23, 2014

My first view of the Brandenburg Gate was probably different from most visitors. I approached the gate from afar while wading through 100,000 soccer fans. I was on the Fan Mile the night of the Germany- France World Cup match and the gate really was the last thing I was thinking about. Later, I returned a couple of different times. During the afternoon I found the area to be aggravatingly crowded, so I made a point to return very early one morning. I basically was the only one around and found the gate to be very impressive. What a witness to history this structure has been. Go see it, but go very early in the morning if crowds are an issue to you.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

One of our favourite attractions in Berlin!! This was one of the first attractions we visited in Berlin. We walked up Unter den Linden to Brandenburg Gate, quite a walk but it was well worth it. I love seeing famous buildings and structure and this is definitely one of them. I didn't have time, but have a drink in the Adlon Hotel while looking at the gate!! Have Fun!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went to the Gates several times because many of the free tours begin from this point. The architecture and statues that comprise of the Brandenburg Tor must be seen for any person travelling to Berlin, also you can get free wifi near the Starbucks there.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is my favourite place to visit along with the avenue leading to West Berlin. Just impressive.

Visited late evening with loads of tourists and this morning with no one there. Majestic, loved and magnetic.

U station just near gate. Easy to get to.

All in all it's a place that draws local and foreign tourists alike.

Been to Brandenburg Gate? Share your experiences!