“Wow!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor)

Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor)
Pariser Platz, 10117 Berlin, Germany (Mitte)
Website
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
Recommended
$57*
and up
Story Line of Berlin Walking Tour Including...
Ranked #3 of 598 things to do in Berlin
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located in no-man's land between East and West Germany during the Cold War, this famous monument, built during the 18th-century reign of Friedrich Wilhelm II, has long been a defining symbol of Berlin and both the city's division and unification.
Belfast, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Wow!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

One of our favourite attractions in Berlin!! This was one of the first attractions we visited in Berlin. We walked up Unter den Linden to Brandenburg Gate, quite a walk but it was well worth it. I love seeing famous buildings and structure and this is definitely one of them. I didn't have time, but have a drink in the Adlon Hotel while looking at the gate!! Have Fun!

Visited July 2014

Karachi Pakistan
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The Great Gates”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went to the Gates several times because many of the free tours begin from this point. The architecture and statues that comprise of the Brandenburg Tor must be seen for any person travelling to Berlin, also you can get free wifi near the Starbucks there.

Visited June 2014
Toowoomba, Australia
150 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“What can I say, it's impressive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is my favourite place to visit along with the avenue leading to West Berlin. Just impressive.

Visited late evening with loads of tourists and this morning with no one there. Majestic, loved and magnetic.

U station just near gate. Easy to get to.

All in all it's a place that draws local and foreign tourists alike.

Visited July 2014
Bali, Indonesia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

One of the historical site in Berlin, in fact its represent Berlin,you can even see the gate-stickers on the u train. Very spacious,there also park and a pathway to the deutsche government building. There also coffee shop surrounded to get a break during your visit.

Bring your camera, get your sunglasses on.

Vancouver
331 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 500 helpful votes
“Not as impressive as I had imagined”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Surrounded by gates and security people to control the public expected to swarm into the square to view the World Soccer game on giant TV screens, this gate became just a quick photostop for our SPB Tour group. The gate is more impressive in pictures, I think. For one thing, the openings between the cream colored columns were not as wide as I had expected. Also, it wasn't as tall and majestical as I had expected. Perhaps even the ornate gilt sculpture of a classical figure in a chariot whipping horses has lost its importance over time. I looked at it and thought I had seen a similar sculpture of victory on another entrance tower in another city. The Gate is in a square where the US embassy is located. It is the only US embassy without a protective compound and visitors can walk right up the to the door as one would to a hotel or business office. A hotel, made famous by Michael Jackson dangling his baby outside one of their hotel windows to show him off to his fans, is also located on this square. Directly opposite the Brandenburg Gate is the famous Unter den Linden street. It, too, was a disappointment as I had imagined very tall trees providing shade over a wide boulevard. The trees, planted perhaps 5 years ago, looked puny to my imaginative ones. This road was also blocked off so our tour bus couldn't drive along it which I had wanted to do, but I guess doing so would have turned out not to be such a big deal after all. The guide did point out that Hitler's army marched through the Brandenburg Gate en masse one day and I tried to imagine that sight and the time it would have taken for that display of might.

Visited June 2014