“Sachsenhaussen tour”
Review of Vive Berlin Tours

Vive Berlin Tours
Ranked #7 of 389 Tours in Berlin
More attraction details
Owner description: Vive Berlin e.G. is a Berlin experts Cooperative. We offer walking tours in Espanol, Francais, Italiano, English, Deutsch, Portugues. We also offer private tours (walking and bike tours or tours with a van)
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Did the free Sachsenhaussen tour with Alex last week. Wasn't expecting a whole lot out of a free tour but man was I wrong. The tour begins on the hour long train ride to the camp. Guide had photos and stories for our group leading up to arriving at the camp which set the stage for a much more personal view of the camp. The amount of information we were given was incredible and never felt like we were rushed through the camp. Throughout the whole tour, Alex was very respectful to the sensitive history without making the trip depressing.

I would recommend this tour to anyone wanting to see Sachsenhaussen.

1  Thank longtripalone
viveberlintours, General Manager at Vive Berlin Tours, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Thank you for the review. For us this tour is not like any other
since it tries to shed light on Germany's darkest times. I am glad you
enjoyed the way we present the German history and the history of the
camp as well as our pacing of the tour itself.

Best wishes from Berlin,

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I was on the same tour as thomasofaus and completely endorse his review. I was visiting Berlin for the first time with my wife and 4 children. We wanted to fit in as much as possible, including a visit to Sachsenhausen. Our guide from a different company didn't show up so we ended up tagging onto Dennis's party. He speaks fluent English, is highly knowledgeable and thoroughly engaging. The subject is of course not an easy one to discuss, especially from a German perspective, yet Dennis explained it in detail and personalised it, with the use of characters that had lived through the holocaust. I cannot recommend Dennis highly enough. We will book him for the cold war tour when we next visit.

2  Thank ADBS65

Hello ADBS65, thanks a lot for your kind words. I am very glad you and
your family found your way to our tour, it was a great day we spend
together. Going to Sachsenhausen and talking about what happened there
is never easy, but I am glad that our style of presenting the German
history through the eyes of selected prisoners is appreciated. I am
looking forward to see you again at our Cold War tour to continue the
German history in the 2nd half of the 20th century.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

from the Jewish quarter through East berlin until the door of Brandenburg, including the site of the bunker of hitler. It is full of symbols and contrasts tour . Valuable experience.

2  Thank edgar f

Hello edgar f, thank you very much for your review. We are glad you
enjoyed the time with us and keep it in good memory!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

My wife and I turned up at the meeting point for the Sachsenhausen concentration camp tour and ended up as the only 2 on the English tour. There were heaps of people for the Spanish one.

We were greeted by Dennis who is a true Berliner. He was really professional and spoke fluent English, and also really passionate about history (he studies history at the University). Although there was only 2 of us on the tour, he was still very energetic and engaging.

On the train ride up to the camp, Dennis explained the history of Germany from pre WW1 up to the time the concentration camp was built. Dennis also introduced us to the lives of 2 prisoners who we followed throughout the tour. This made the historical events really come to life. I learned more history in that 45min trip than I ever would reading history books. I was so engaged in the stories that I often couldn't wait to hear what happened next.

Once at the camp, Dennis brought us through the camp and, through the lives of the 2 prisoners, explained what happened at various locations. Being there and seeing the camp gave a very different perspective to reading them in history books and looking at photos.

Before we knew it, 6 hours had passed so quickly. We really enjoyed the tour and learnt so much history from it. This was definitely the highlight of our trip to Berlin. If we were staying a few more days, we would have gone for a few more tours with Dennis. He really made history come to life. Highly recommended tour.

Tour on 30 April.

2  Thank Andre L

Hello Andre L, thank you very much for your review.

It happens from time to time that only a small number of people show
up for our tours since we're still a young company. But for me it
never makes a difference how many people show up, if someone wants to
know more about this chapter of the German history, I am glad to be of
service! It is very important to me that people leave this tour with a
deeper understanding of the German history and the lessons we've
(hopefully) learned from the past.
If you ever return to Berlin just let me know, I'd be glad to show you
more facets of this wonderful city and its history!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We did the Sachsenhausen tour with Dennis, and we must say it was excellent. The content was depressing, as expected, but Dennis took us on a journey from the beginnings of WWI on the train heading to Sachsenhausen, framing the expansion of the brutal Nazi regime and narrated in great detail life in the camp, following the lives of two individuals and the oppression their stories symbolise. Dennis is a great storyteller, a local Berliner, and is passionate about history. This tour is a must do!

2  Thank thomasofaus

Hello thomasofaus, thanks a lot for your enthusiastic review. I am
glad I could help shed light on the German history and the events that
led to the Holocaust. I am always especially glad when I am called a
great storyteller, because for me telling history can only be done
properly by telling stories of real persons and their experiences. I
hope we might meet again in the future, because there are so many more
stories to share here in Berlin!