“Thank you, Bart”

Alternative Berlin Tours
Ranked #2 of 58 Food & Drink in Berlin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Unique tours of Berlin´s local, alternative, nightlife, street art & graffiti scenes with the original creators of the Alternative Berlin tour concept. We show you the unusual places, people and local neighborhoods you might not discover by yourself. We offer authentic local experiences with terrific guides connected to the scenes in a safe and respectful way. Tours & Activities we offer : Real Berlin Experience tour, Free Alternative Berlin tour , Street art workshop , Street Art Tour, Alternative Nightlife Tour , Beer tour, Green Tour Student tours & private tailored tours.So be adventurous and experience Alternative Berlin with us!
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I visited an Alternative Berlin tour yesterday and I'm very happy that I did it. I wanted to know Berlin from unofficial side - and I got it. The guide, whose name was Bart, knows pretty much about all the stuff connected to alternative cultures and lifestyles that you may be curious about - both about effects, such as particular pieces of graffitti, and context, such as legal issues, percentages of unemployment etc. The tour oriented me in Berlin that I'm interested in and now I know much more about where I can go and what I can explore here. Thank you, Bart!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,781)
All reviews
"interesting stories"
in 50 reviews
"three hours"
in 40 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 40 reviews
in 288 reviews
"workshop"
in 144 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was our introduction to berlin. We landed a few hours earlier and decide to do this street art tour as a way to see the city and find interesting and off the touristy path. Our tour guide was Bart who was informative, interesting, funny, and had some great stories to tell. This was exactly the tour we needed to see what today's Berlin is really about.

We found ourselves seeing very interesting pieces and got interesting tidbits about some of the artist by Bart. We saw small pieces and entire sides of buildings covered. There was even a stop at a monster art gallery that was very cool. We finished the tour on the beach at YAAM. YAAM was a Great Way to finish the tour. It's a community center that has art, sport, shops, and great food. It has a carribean feel and it is a great cause and a staple in the community, that I hope is allowed to remain.

My girlfriend and I went on this tour July 11 and recommend to all.

Thank you Bart. And for god sakes, tip the man, he does a great job and deserves it!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I took the tour with Alana, who was awesome. I learned things I had no other way of knowing about social processes in Berlin, and about Graffiti and other street artists.
I took the tour on my first day in Berlin and I'm very glad I did because later I noticed things I wouldn't have unless I knew to look them up thanks to her.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

i was looking forward to our 'alternative berlin tour' but was greatly disappointed. penny was our guide, it appeared she could care less throughout the entire tour and was just going through the motions. she didn't really make an effort to talk to everyone in the group, to at least ensure people were having a good time. there was no effort to talk to the group between stops, so you basically had to walk and just wonder when the next stop was going to be or even what was going to be at the next stop. with just a little bit more effort and information (for example, letting us know what we are going to see next before we get there, so we have an idea of what to look for) this tour would have been much better.

3  Thank winekid1978
ABerlin71, Owner at Alternative Berlin Tours, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Hello there,
We are really sorry that you didn´t have a great tour with us. We always like to see satisfied customers on our tours and as we offer something very unique, we try our very best to give our guests a good experience.
On this particular day Penny was a very sick girl and this clearly hampered her performance. She wasn´t able to get this tour covered by another guide and she didn´t want to let our guests or the company down so she took the job.
We´ve worked with her for a long time and know how reliable and passionate she is about her guiding. She was actually vomiting twice during the tour and I think this explains alot. I honestly don´t think it´s an easy job to entertain people when you are feeling terrible yourself so in a way we are thankful she at least gave it a go. We had another guest from this tour write to us to commend Penny for trying to put up a brave effort in these circumstances but we are sorry just the same that you were not satisfied.
We´ve tried to contact you but received no response from you which is a shame as this is important feedback you have given and we wanted to explain the situation. Our guides work off tips for alot of these tours so it´s in their best interest to be friendly and entertaining. I´ve had guides in the past who have sprained an angle on stairs, been knocked over by a pedestrian bicycle and received cuts and bruises only to continue on their merry way and finish a tour. Others who have received devastating news while on the tour and still soldiered on for the guests. For this I am very proud to have young people working for us who really do give their utmost.
Once again we are sorry to let you down and I hope this clears things up somewhat and you would consider a tour with us again. Here is a bit of feedback from another guest who had Penny as their guide around the same time to reassure you that this was indeed a one off.
"Our guide Penny just rocked our socks off!
The way she told about the gentrification in some area's and Berlin during the time of the Wall, was so vibrant, it was like you were there when it all took place.
This tour makes us want to BE a 'Berliner'! Thanks so much!- June."
Thankyou kindly for this feedback and taking the time to join our tours.
All the best