“OK place to stay”

Ranked #144 of 358 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Stayed for 3 days in October
Pluses:
Location is near a UBahn stop that is only a few stops from AlexanderPlatz, and a grocery store is across the street.
Affordable.
Room was clean.
Furnishings seem relatively new.

Minuses:
Wifi didn't work on 2nd floor when I was there. I reported it at the start of my stay but it wasn't fixed. To be fair, whatever was wrong needed more of a fix than just power-cycling the router.
To get wifi, I had to go downstairs and sit in the lobby.

Florescent Lights in hall flickered on and off rapidly--tubes needed replacing. I reported this, was not fixed while I was there.

Hall and stairway lights were on timers and went off much earlier that I expected, requiring me to find the switch. This was especially frustrating in the stairwells, which I usually climbed in the dark. Hotel needs to invest in some motion-detector triggers.

Only 2 bathrooms on 2nd floor. Sometimes both were occupied when I had to go.
I didn't really like the Karl Marx Allee neighborhood--it wasn't cozy and pedestrian-friendly like some other Berlin neighborhoods. The street is lined with giant concrete apt complexes I would never want to live in.

I never ate the breakfast, so I cant comment on that.
Overall this place is an acceptable budget-hotel option if nothing better is available at the same price.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were in a triple room while visiting berlin city and this hotel provides us the enough resources to sleep and be clean. The room was big and clean with a little fridge inside. The shared bathroom was clean too, maybe a bit cold but in summer there's no problem. The location is good because there is a tube stop close, the staff was very kindly so in general to stay a few days and with those prices is a good choice.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a cheap bed for a few nights then Pension Reiter is ideal as the room sizes are good. However, be prepared for a trek into the city centre if you don't want to get the tube. It took us 50 minutes to walk to the Brandenburg Gate and Reichstag and with the tube it took about 20 minutes.

This isn't practical if you are only spending a few nights in Berlin.

Also, the shared bathroom wasn't an issue but one of the showers had a dodgy heating system and the cleaning could have been better.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank vt26
Reviewed March 15, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed here for a long weekend weekend with my boyfriend. The hotel was spotless and the staff friendly and helpful. The area is quiet but within walking distance of numerous bars and clubs, and the underground close. Our room was quite pretty with everything we needed including free fast Wifi. It was very good value for money- I will definitely stay here next time I come to Berlin!

1  Thank Tracey J
Reviewed June 26, 2012

So my wife and i stayed here just this weekend, and upon checking in we made the idiot mistake of locking our key in the room. Oops, right? We went to the reception for help and after 2.5 hours of running around the receptionist concluded that she had no spare key to let us back in with. So our options were A) PAY for a second room (with all our stuff still in the other room) or B) call a locksmith in (on a friday night) and pay for it ourselves, because WE were "the ones silly enough to lock ourselves out after all". Why they dont think a spare key is their responsibility for other more serious reasons i dont know.

Ultimately we payed for a second room and broke in to our first room through the window. And after 3 nights there we still never did see the receptionist again.

Room Tip: If your on the 1st floor keep both windows closed, and take your valuables with you.