“Freaky dreams, sweltering temps, modernist surrealism and bright nites near the old Berlin Wall”

Hotel Gat Point Charlie
Ranked #75 of 634 Hotels in Berlin
Belfast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Luckily we had just left a heatwave at home, otherwise we would have marked the hotel down for not having any air conditioning, as countless other reviewers have commented on.
Aside from this, the hotel is very well located - close to the stadtmitte U bahn lines, handy for U2 and U6, the swanky Freidrichstrasse (shopping!) and the run down streets surrounding the last standing bit of the Berlin Mauer / Luftwaffe building / site of east german democracy rights protesters massacre and Checkpoint Charlie area. Provided you don't mind walking a few miles, all the main tourist sights are totally reachable by foot. This includes the Brandenburg gate, memorials to the murdered Jews of europe, Sinti/Roma and homosexuals memorials, Museum Island, Humbolt university and the Reichstag. So its a good choice if you want a weekend in Berlin and want to see some of the main tourist bits in the centre of the town.
The staff were multilingual, had no issues coming and going as we pleased. Housekeeping generally arrived well after lunch.
Issues - temperature climbed and no air con, but we had a window to open. We faced the back of the hotel, so got noise from the carpark, noise from smokers etc from the downstairs bar (we were on first floor) and the light from same and the opposite building. I got used to this but my girlfriend needed to buy an eyemask to sleep as it was pretty light with all that and the curtains were thin. The sheets weren't changed (used a telltale food stain!) but the room was clean and slightly spartan - no tea and coffee making facilities for example.
Vending machine on first floor - not that cheap, but if like me you drink water at night then its that or nothing! En suite was good. It housed the only plug socket that worked with my UK to EU plug converted, which had an odd timer beside it - still no idea what that did! Not much it seemed.
It wasn't particularly noisy and I did enjoy my stay. GF was put off by the things that made it less comfortable, such as the light and lack of kettle. Safe was good, you change code each time you use it.

A more than adequate hotel, suitable mostly for couples - bit small and cramped for families I would have thought. Quiet and in an area that is quiet at night, so not really for the clubbing night owl types. Bring a fan, some kind of cooling spray like rosewater, (if it is warm) an eye mask and some bottled water / travel kettle and bring it up to a 4 star standard. Some rough edges but cool modern design. I got breakfast at the nearby Thurmann cafe - off Bethlehemkirkplatz ( cool exhibit too of destroyed church) for a mere 3-4 euros a day including tea or drink, which I would recommend. Bar charges a premium compared with other places, but maybe only a euro or two per drink mark up and is comfortable (Despite europop) and had a nice and friendly barman.
Had odd dreams about eyes hence the title! Well, it is in former east Berlin.... site of old spy outpost anyone??!!

Room Tip: Rooms at rear of hotel will be very bright even with lights off, bring eyemask Warm in summer - no...
1 Thank saytan
Gat_Point_Charlie, Gerente at Hotel Gat Point Charlie, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your whole opinion about your stay, it is always good to know details that are not working properly. We have not received complaints about the black outs for example. I apologize for the inconveniences caused because of the A/A, we do usually offer fans to our guests. Kettles and minibar are only in our Junior Suites.

Once again thank you very much for all your comments, they will help us to improve.

Jose Mª Sanchez-Harguindey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, clean rooms, fresh new towels and nice breakfast. I would recommend upgrading to a suite for an extra 30€ per night. Rooms hot but you can get an extra fan. Close to good shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Madam/Sir,

I would like to thank you for your comments posted.

Wellington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Yes, this hotel is definitely in a great location - and you can use Check Point Charlie as a beacon to find your way back after a days sightseeing. The rooms are very clean, the staff friendly, the 10 euro breakfast is extremely good value - the staff were very helpful in getting me some gluten free bread.
But the lack of air conditioning was a real problem when we stayed for 3 nights in early July. It was very hot and stuffy in the room. We were unable to have the window and curtain wide open as we were opposite a window by the lifts - which meant anyone waiting for the lift could look right into our room!
We also did not have any tea and coffee making facilities or fridge but I notice from another review that some rooms do have these facilities.
I would stay again, for the location and service, but would be particular about which room I booked and definitely not during the hotter summer months!

Dear Madam,

Thank your very much for your comments posted. As you mentioned it was particularly hot at the end of July, it was unusual in the city.
The minibar and kettle for coffee and tea are just in our Junior Suites, all of them have these facilities.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

A very good choice for a short stay of two to four days in Berlin. It is a clean and modern place to stay in a brilliant location if you are keen on Berlin Wall history. Checkpoint Charlie, a comprehensive display of "wall history", an excellent Stasi Museum and the not-to-be-missed "Topography of Terror" are all within walking distance (within 1km from hotel). To get there from the main train station (Hauptbahnhof) just head out the door and jump on bus 147 then get off at "Stadt Mitte" - about a 15 minute ride. The hotel is just around the corner.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NicmC23
Dear Madam/Sir,

I would like just to thank you for all your kind comments about your stay with us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to visit us again

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Berlin last summer and stayed here for a portion of our trip. The rooms are a bit on the small side, but what do you expect for Berlin. Clean sheets every day, extremely friendly staff, unbeatable location, and really nice rooms. For the price and location alone, this hotel can't be beat. As for any hotel in Berlin, there is no air-conditioning, so having a window open is a must. We did not have any meals at the hotel because we wanted to get out and explore the city, but one extremely rainy night the concierge recommended a great little Italian place next door which was delicious. Just a couple blocks away is Kamps Backstube which is AMAZING and perfect for a quick bite at a reasonable price. We had drinks in the hotel bar one night which were out of this world expensive, but the bartender was so friendly and ended up helping us plan our outtings for the rest of our trip with some local guidance. Highly recommend! Would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam,

Thank you very much for your comments abut your stay.

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in early July. I was thoroughly disappointed having read all of the great reviews. The rooms were okay in size and the hotel had a great location. The room that i stayed in seemed fine for the first night, then things started to not work. Electrical plugs were not working, wifi was not working. It was in Summer and outside was about 30 degrees, inside the room was much hotter as there is no air conditioning and the window didn't open up wide enough to let a cool air flow through. The light above the bed in our room would not work properly after the first night. It continued to flicker on and off, dimming by itself and turning on bright in the middle of the night waking both my partner and I up. We rang and spoke to the front desk and was told that our only solution was to take our room card out of the electricity slot. This meant that our phones, cameras and computers were not able to charge overnight ready for use the next day.

3 Thank Ashleigh J
Dear Sir,

I can just say sorry for everything, I undestand your comments. As you mentioned the hotel does not have A/A and due to the comments of our guests we will try to sort this problem out. The problems with your lights are wierd at least, I am sorry for them, I do not know if we fixed them the day after.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

This very clean and friendly hotel is awesome. Wifi works perfectly, staff is happy and helpful, breakfast is very good and it feels very safe. Only (tiny) complaint is about the small room, but then again, I'm not in Berlin to sleep.

Very good experience we had there, and I would love to come back.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam/Sir,

Thank you very much for your comments, please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to visit us again, I would be pleased to assign you our best room available.