“Gross and Bad location”

Hostel Aloha
Ranked #135 of 349 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
“Gross and Bad location”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

The service was horrible. No one was ever at reception. The gavtity itself was alright although a little under kept but the hostel was through a convenience store with a poor lit, graffitied hallway- super shady. It's not close to anything at all either.

• Stayed May 2013

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Fisrtly I truly want to say that yes, it was nice idea to stay here.
Nice place - good location, close to metro and cheap shops, two balconies - having a breakfast outside watching life and sun on streets are wonderful.
There are strange and weird pictures (but so many bright colours :)!) on the walls on first floor - but I guess this can be specific for this place and this suits.
Enough space in common area - however it would be rather comfortable and cosy if there were couple of chairs (or smth like that) in computer room. Also I think bedsides tables in dorms are also needed - because locker wasn't enogh to store things.
Nice breakfast! :) Free map and big variety of excursions.

And of course thanks to staff: hi from Moscow :) and thaks for advice and your help for discovering Berlin.

Room Tip: Living in 6beds female dorm was quite :) And it was possible to have a good sleep.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here for 2 weeks at the beginning of April and I am already planning to come back in the summer. All of the staff are super friendly and helpful, it literally just feels like you're living in a flat. It's always clean, there are several common rooms where you can watch movies or get to know everyone else, there is a computer room, the WIFI works just fine and fair enough, there is a bar downstairs so sometimes there will be loud music occasionally but you get used to it within a day and it really didn't bother me at all. The rooms are big, the location is incredible, not only is it close to everything (the train station is one minute away and the supermarket takes 5 minutes to walk to), but there are also a lot of cool bars and pubs in the area.

All in all, the best hostel I have ever stayed at, SUCH good value for money and I am SO excited to go again soon.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed there for 3 weeks and loved it!
I got a single bed in a 6 beds room and it was comfortable, slept really good and the people where very nice.
Twice during my stay, the hostel management arranged a huge meal for the hostel free of charge!

I highly recommend staying there!

Room Tip: there's not a big difference between the rooms.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2013

our stay was relatively problem-free, it wasn't until after we left that we had issues

the hostel itself is in a very old building, the door is really sketchy and the stairs up even more so, we got there at night and were pretty worried, but we had been warned by the owners that the entrance is like that, so we kept going. the hostel itself is ok, there's free breakfast and wifi, and the rates are low so you definitely get what you pay for. the only downsides were the place wasn't very clean and the wifi was spotty. it was also very loud, you need earplugs to sleep if you're going to bed earlier than 2AM, but that's to be expected at a hostel with such a young crowd. the kitchen is also missing a ton of utensils, i guess people steal, thats not the hostels fault though. there's only 2 bathrooms on the side of the hostel we stayed in, but never had any issues showering or anything, i guess since we got up at 8:30am whereas most guests stay up until 2-3 and get up at 10 or later.

after we left the hostel (we stayed for 3 nights) my friend discovered itchy red bites on her legs and a few other areas, she immediately emailed the hostel to ask if they knew anything about it and they told her someone else had complained and they were "aware of a bug problem." when my friend replied asking for a refund as she now needed to buy treatment and pay to wash her (and my) clothes, they initially didn't reply but after some persistance replied refusing to refund us as, basically, "it's not our fault." however, in the same email, they said they were aware of the problem but could not move anyone out of the room as they were at full capacity. so they KNEW they had a bug problem but did not inform anyone OR move anyone out of the infested room. how is that not their fault?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was surprised to read the negative reviews about this place, but I guess it's not for everyone.

The place has a really relaxed and chilled vibe, the staff a super friendly and helpful if you have any questions, the rooms are spacious, there are plenty of clean full bathrooms (not just tiny showers) that never ran out of hot water, lots of common space (some more socialable/party areas, but a really chilled movie room too) and the computers are pretty fast, as is the free wifi. The breakfast was adequate (cereal, toast, biscuits) and there is free tea and coffee all day everyday. For me this was the perfect place to stay during my trip to Berlin (half work, half pleasure).

None of the doors to the dorms have individual locks but there are lockers for hire and the staff will happliy securely store your stuff for you. For me this adds to the relaxed and open hostel feel, but if this is a problem for you then maybe this isn't the place for you to stay.

I would say that if you like the big chain hostels with 5* facilities (and no character...) then don't stay here, but if you're looking for a relaxed place in a great location where it's easy to find a conversation with people from all over, then this is the place for you. The price is also really very reasonable for where this is located and you're right next to a lot of the fun things to do in Berlin.

A huge thanks to Arthur and his staff for a really enjoyable stay in Berlin :-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank logroves
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed March 8, 2013

A friend and I were visiting Berlin for a few days. All our other friends were staying at another hostel - unfortunately there was no room left for us there, so we decided to book a room at Aloha because it's only a few minutes away from the others - but it wasn't a good decision at all.

when we arrived the staff was still sleeping (at 11am!!). one of the worst things was that you can't lock your room, so everybody can come in! there were lockers in the rooms, however, we didn't get a key for it because they lost the key. furthermore there were no lamps on the beds and no tables in the whole hostel.
after coming home at 2am my bed linen wasn't here any more.. they took it away. we didn't know where to get new linen at 2am, so we had to sleep together in one small bed which was creaking the whole night. it was the most horrible night ever. next to us there was a common room and there were two people listening to music the whole night (until 6am). I'm not against partying but it was sunday 2am and we had to get up really early the next day. We told them to turn off the music. it was quiet for about half an hour and then they started again.. i slept about 2hours the whole night.

Moreover, I found it pretty weird that there was a 70-year-old man living in our room. He wasn't on vacation - it was his home. It's a bit weird for two 22-year-old girls to be in a room with an old man. He was as well listening to loud music until 3am..
Furthermore there is mould on the walls and the bathrooms are very dirty! in general the whole hostel would need improvement - the pictures are obviously old, it doesn't look like that now!!

I like staying at hostels and meeting new people but this one was horrible, I didn't feel comfortable at all. After that night we moved to another hostel.

however, the staff was OK and we get back the money for two nights.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends