“Best hostel I've ever stayed in”
Review of PLUS Berlin

PLUS Berlin
Ranked #10 of 358 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

Amazing hostel with brilliant service. Has a sauna, swimming pool and lots of other facilities. It's great value for money also. The staff members I dealt with was also brilliant very personable. They went out of their way to help customers with no hidden charges. Want something printed? No problem. Free Internet also. I highly recommend the Alternative Berlin pub crawl which goes every evening also. Having lived in Berlin and done them all this is the best by far. I've recommended this hostel to all my friends and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (2,295)

Reviewed May 24, 2014

We really enjoyed our stay in this hostel, we were in a 6 beds room and in suite there were 2 bathroom (more accurately a bathroom and half) great idea to speed up all the shower/getting ready process!
Also the pool and the sauna were great!!
The staff was really courteous, and kind ( i wasn't feeling great and they offer me a the, even when i offered to pay!)
Off course most of the people are young, but so we are!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 22, 2014

I stayed in this hostel on-and-off for 2.5 weeks when I first moved to Germany, and I am glad that I did. It was a wonderful place to stay. Warshauer Platz is close to many historical attractions and public transport and there are always things to do there.

The rooms were very tidy, clean and affordable. The restaurant served nice food and there are plenty of places in the hostel to meet people. I stayed in single, 4, 5 and 6 bed rooms (I booked late and had to move around to whatever was available) and all were great.

The most impressive part, however, was the service at the front desk. When I first moved to Berlin I was trying to find an apartment to rent and was incredibly confused about government paperwork. All of the staff members were incredibly friendly and helpful and some offered to help me find an apartment through their friends. They definitely made my move much more bearable.

Make sure you book well in advance because it's a very popular place and is often booked out more than a week ahead.

I highly recommend this hostel over others in the area.

Room Tip: - Book more than a week or two ahead to get what you want - If you book a 6-bed dorm, try to get on...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2014

When we started looking for tips for our first ever trip to Berlin, we soon got the area of Kreuzberg recommended as being the liveliest and coolest part of the city we absolutely have to visit. So we decided to stay as close as possible and checked in PLUS Berlin. As the price was very affordable, we expected something of an average standard just to spend the couple of hours of sleep in. And there came the pleasant surprise - the room was as classy as in a 4* hotel, with nice decorations all over the old building the hotel/hostel is in. The overall atmosphere was great, being close to Kreuzberg's cafés and restaurants as well as the U and S-Bahns so we effectively managed to discover the whole city from our base. Really, cannot but recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2014

My friend booked this hostel for 3 mature ladies, but it was not that suitable. The room was very very basic, two small bunks and 1 wardrobe with hangers so high you needed to be 6ft to reach them...Internet reception did not work when I was there. It was cheap but I would have preferred to pay more. It would be great for younger groups but not for anyone expecting a hotel. However the breakfast was very nice for 6 euro's you could help yourself. We visited the 02 arena and it was a short walk. Reception staff were very good and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank TheYoungOnes100
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I thought I had my favorite hostel in Berlin before a friend recommended to try this one. And I was happy he did. It's conveniently located near the U-Bahn and S-Bahn, so easy to reach from any airport, train or bus station. It's in a large building with an impressive facade, and entering through the large doors and seeing the large lobby, one could wonder if that's the right address. I was staying in a large 6 beds rooms, with a spacious own bathroom.
Swimming pool and a sauna - nice facility for an exhausted traveller, even though you shouldn't expect super quality.
But the thing that convinced me to go again is the staff members I met, friendly, cheerful and helpful. These people are the highest value, their smiles do not seem to come from customer care training.

Room Tip: Bring your own lock for the lockers in the room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Originally I stayed at the Industriepalast hostel, which is almost next door (other side of the U-Bahn station). I happened to walk past the Plus Berlin and wanted to try it for one night.

They make you believe that you get hotel service at hostel prices -- with swimming pool and an impressing lobby.

What they have done is simply to brush up the lobby, add a pool, and market their lobby area and pool aggressively on their website and in brochures. This is close to fraudulent, because you don't get what you expect, and they know it.

The rooms have NOT been thoroughly renovated. They have the cheapest Ikea metal bunk beds, not suited for a hostel because they don't feel sturdy enough. There are foam mattresses, OK for one night, but probably a sweaty experience in summer.

They do have a pool, although not a very impressing one. The sauna door was twisted and wouldn't close tightly, so the heat escaped. They forgot entirely to give the shower area a make-over, it seemed like old East Berlin.

A better choice is to go to one of the municipal swimming baths for 3,50 euro (2 euro for students).

Throughout the building there were the typical bad details you find in similar hostels, mostly in Eastern Europe (or sometimes in London and Amsterdam): Bad plumbing, wall paint used on windows and doors, tiles and other objects were askew and loose. The building is a former school. Hallways and stairs were noisy (high ceilings). The hallways were painted in strange violet tones. In many of the hallways they had placed some weird tree sculptures in stones, amateur decoration, and unfortunately they didn't fulfill their purpose. (Sorry). Noise dampening the ceilings would be more appropriate. This tells me the place is not just cheaply run, but badly managed, wrong strategies.

I asked for the 'Gemeinschaftsraum' (communal room) because I needed to sit with my laptop. This hard-to-find huge room was an 8 x 20 meter hall with a herringbone floor (real Eastern Block style), a vending machine and a fridge, and a few sofas. The windows were draughty and the huge room was of course not a nice place to work or read. This was the only quiet place.

Apart from the pool, there is also a backyard volleyball (?) court. There is an in-house restaurant which is good if you are a first-time traveler who is afraid to go out into the city. It is a bad thing if you want a quiet place to stay and sleep. The hostel is probably good for undemanding youth groups or school trips, with or without parents. There were plenty of these groups.

Generally guests were quite noisy. The place is not so good for individuals traveller over 30, like me. You will feel desolate after one or two nights, especially if you travel alone.

Staff was average, not too professional, but not directly bad either.

Only advantages were the pool, and that a towel was included in the bedlinen.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo