“One of the worst experiences I've ever had”

Restaurant Reinstoff
Ranked #254 of 8,845 Restaurants in Berlin
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mitte
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We are friends with a couple from Berlin who had dined here before and really enjoyed it. It had just received its 2nd Michelin star so we were very enthusiastic. What a disappointment... my experience at Reinstoff has completely put me off fine dining, which is something I really like to do whenever I’m on a city break.
I have to say that I felt the staff were hired based on their looks rather than a genuine love of food and they were a bit under-informed. They seemed slightly startled when we asked even simple questions.
So to the food. The amuse bouche were delicious and we all looked forward to the arrival of the dishes.
The first course, crayfish, was pretty bland, but we thought the next might be better. No, it got less and less inspired as each course arrived. I had a small piece of fish that was very overcooked. I left most of it and mentioned it to the waitress who smiled and said ‘OK’ as she walked off with it, but didn’t offer to replace it. Then we all had the’ aged’ cheese. It was served far too cold and had about as much taste as the cheapest edam you can buy in Aldi.
On the plus side the petit fours were excellent and they were very generous with the delicious bread.
The young sommelier was unpleasant . We were very open to his suggestions and some of them were Ok but not great. I appreciate that everyone’s taste in wine is subjective so that wasn’t really the issue. It was his utterly contemptuous manner. If he doesn’t like people then he is in the wrong profession.
And I’m sorry, I don’t care how many Michelin stars you have, when the bill is being paid you do not take the credit cards away from the table and process them in a different room - that is not acceptable.
To make up for an evening that left us all poorer and very disillusioned we went to a fabulous restaurant in Prenzlauer Berg the following evening which is ranked 1067th on TA but should be much, much higher which serves wonderful inventive food and has warm, enthusiastic knowledgable staff. My advice would be to go there.

2  Thank 74white

Reviewed July 29, 2012

I thought the food was wonderfully creative - great ingredients combined beautifully - everything was nuanced and very subtle. Clearly a very thoughtful team behind this restaurant. Service was amazing. Other reviewers have gone into great detail on the food - for me my meal was simply an experience I will treasure.

I would suggest that potential customers do some research first though - this is no ordinary restaurant (2 tasting menu options only) and it is better not to go if you don't want a lengthy, thoughtful, clever food experience.

1  Thank CIVUH5
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Very creative food. Ingredients are fresh and tasty. The menu is not flexible, requiring everyone at the table to order from the same section. Service was excellent. The restaurant was rather warm on a hot summer Berlin evening (hence the low atmosphere rating).

Reviewed June 30, 2012

We were given two broad choices at reinstoff, a menu composed of things found "quite near" and one with choices from farther afield. We picked the "quite near" option and It. Was. Just. Great.

As with almost any gourmet place it would be difficult to accurately describe the food. We had snails, and pike, and dessert, true, but like nothing you've tried before. It was funky and creative, served just right, with an army of wait personnel just appearing out of thin air when needed.

Great place to celebrate. Come to think of it, if you go there, that's a reason to celebrate right there.

1  Thank Benja764
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Always nice to have 5 people wait on me hand and foot except when the cost is so high for dinner I really expect to be more impressed with the food.

We had a 5 course tasting menu where we were told to "eliminate" two dishes from the normal 7 course menu. I would prefer if they had set tasting menus for each amount of courses because how am I supposed to know whether I am eliminating a course that disrupts the flow of the meal?

All of the food was well executed and cooked correctly but it just seemed kind of boring. Standard stuff.

The one thing that salvaged this dinner was actually dessert. Pea sorbet, dark and white chocolate, some other frozen pea stuff. I was not expecting it to work and it sounded really weird. It ended up being one of the best things that I have ever tasted, ever. That one dish was what I was expecting more of the meal to be like.

Given the price I would skip out on Reinstoff as there has to be better food and value in Berlin.