“The best hostel in the world?”

Ranked #6 of 359 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Reviewed June 18, 2013

For the second time I had an amazing stay at Grand Hostel. I will simply put it into 5 short reasons why you should stay here

1. No bunks! - Only comfortable, large spacious rooms.
2. Incredible staff who are extremely knowledgeable about Berlin (Especially Jerome :P)
3. Always clean
4. Great looking bar and main reception area
5. Great hostel location

Will be coming back soon!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
joelue, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Grand Hostel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Michael! Best Hostel - Wow!
Thanks a lot for the compliment!
We are looking forward to seeing you again in good old Berlin. Best regards from all of us. :)

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Without a doubt, the greatest hostel I have stayed in Europe.
Beds were soft and warm (No bunks!), rooms were spacious, and the common room was really nice to sit in and meet people.
Staff were incredibly friendly (Go Felix) and the restaurant next door, Grand Ma's, had incredible food (Especially the chips.)
Shower facilities were pretty sweet, though darker doors would help.
Relatively close to central Berlin.
BUY THE TRAVELCARDS. The train service here is very reliable.

Room Tip: The 4 berth rooms make it ideal to try and travel in a 4. These rooms are huge.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
joelue, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hostel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Thank you sooo much Adam :) & enjoy the summer time!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

Since I get to travel a lot for work, I am used to staying at Marriott, Hilton and Starwood properties. For this trip to Europe, my girlfriend convinced me to stay at the Grand Hostel Berlin for our three nights in Berlin. I hope she does not read this review, but boy she made a great call on this place.

The hotel is located on the Kreuzberg area just a short walk away from the Möckernbrücke U-Bahn. If riding the U-Bahn, take the exit where the flower shop is. Go up the stairs, turn right and the hostel will be a short walk away on your right. There isn't much right around the hotel area, but there are many places just a 10-minute walk away. The surroundings may seem dark, but both the hotel and the hotel area felt very safe.

We got a double room with private bathroom, which was located on the quiet section of the property. The rooms very spacious, and except for a TV, it had everything we needed. The bed was a tad uncomfortable as it was two twin beds put together but it wasn't a real issue. Our room was next to the community showers and bathrooms, but that did not bother us at all. We were not bothered by any of the other guests even though there was a large party staying at the hotel.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly, and they made a great impression the day of our arrival as the girl that checked us in sat down with us to go over some of Berlin's attractions and to answer any questions we had.

The hostel has a very decent WiFi throughout. It also has a good common area and bar, with a few beer specials. The hotel does not have a restaurant on-site, but they seem to be partnered with Grand Ma`s, which is a couple of doors down from the hostel. Grand Ma's has a decent breakfast buffet for €6, which I did not mind paying every day of my stay, and they seem to have events on a weekly basis.

Overall, I was very impressed with my stay at the Grand Hostel Berlin. If you plan on being out for most the day and all you need is a place to spend the night, then this is the place for you. In just a few words, clean and spacious rooms, friendly staff and all for a reasonable price. If I ever go back to Berlin, I will be booking this hostel again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JuanyDinero
joelue, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Grand Hostel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Junay - wow, your review sounds like it was writen by a press agency :)
Thank you so much for that great feedback!
We hope to welcome you & girlfriend here again and wish you all the best on your travels.
Your Grand Hostel Team

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Good hostel to stay in, beds were super comfortable (not bunks) and the rooms HUGE - quite nice to be in a room that in another hostel would have snuggly fit 10 people and only have four! Staff were friendly and the bathrooms clean, however the showers aren't the most private with barely opaque doors and sensors to turn on, which mean that you can't stay in the shower and get changed... if you have a small towel beware. Never felt that busy even though I know they were full, which was both good and bad... for a solo traveller I don't think it was the best hostel as there weren't many opportunities to meet others, though sometimes the bar felt busy. However would head back there as for the price it was a great place and acces to the U-bahn station was super close.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
joelue, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hostel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Guten Morgen from Berlin.

Nice to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay here. We would be pleased to see you again.

Greetings

Reviewed June 2, 2013

The Grand Hostel @ Berlin is a majestic place ....regal..elegant...spacious and huge bright rooms... a strikingly picturesque library and waiting area.

The hostel is a 15-20 minute bus ride from the Berlin HBF Train Station and then a ten minute easy walk.

I stayed at the Hostel for just one night but the stay was pleasant and very positive.

They have a cute little restaurant next door called 'Granma' or something like that ..its a lovely little european restaurant that serves lovely breakfast!

The staff at the Grand Hostel is very warm and helpful too.

All in all, an absolute recommendation for this Hostel for any young traveler!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

A guten Morgen from Berlin.

Awesome that you enjoyed it here! We hope to see you again.

Greetings

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Overall this was a very good place to stay.

Downsides I can think of:
1. No kitchen facilities.
2. Occasionally the electronic door lock didn't work when entering the code, and it took a few minutes before the door would finally unlock. I'm sure I was entering the code correctly, and I heard that others had the same problem.
3. This didn't happen to me, but I saw it happen to two other people - the guy working at the bar didn't give them their change; he just assumed he could keep it as a tip. Pretty bad in my opinion.

But the positives outweighed the negatives and I would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
joelue, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Grand Hostel Berlin, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay all in all.
Thanks a lot for your hints about the door code and so on ..sorry for that.
We take this seriously and working on it.

Greetings from Berlin & Grand Hostel Berlin team

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Stayed here for five nights.  No bunk beds.  Decent breakfast buffet next door.  They have a cellar which they let me put my bike in at night - great for a touring cyclist.  They sit you down with some coffee or tea when you check in and go over the main sights of the city and ask you about your interests.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Sounds as if you have had a good time with us. :) Thanks a lot for the review.