“Friendly, clean and safe.”

Grand Hostel Berlin
Ranked #5 of 349 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Friendly, clean and safe.”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I stayed at the Grand Hostel for 2 days in December 2012 and was travelling on my own. The staff were super friendly and really took the time to make me feel welcome and help me find things I might like to do. The rooms, and hostel in general, were very clean with good facilities. The hostel security is also top notch with codes to get in most doors. Thumbs up for the Grand Hostel in Berlin. I will be returning at some stage.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
joelue, Inhaber at Grand Hostel Berlin, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Hey Mike,

you will be returing? Thats great! Thank you for this motivation. We will be more than happy to welcome you again in Berlin. Take care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dusseldorf
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The building as a whole was well kept and the room was clean. The toilets were clean too, though I imagine it could be pretty crowded in the summer. The staff were friendly and took good care of me. Upon arrival guests get a free map of the city and the staff spend a couple of minutes answering any questions you may have and circling the most common tourist locations. There is a bar by the reception area where you can hang out in the evenings and chairs and tables for resting your feet. The rooms are protected with a pin code type lock - I had no problems with security in the area. As for location, it is in a quiet area and is just five minutes to the nearest underground rail station. There are not too many businesses or bars in that immediate vicinity and the closest grocery store is about a ten minute walk but those are not big concerns. Some people may find the related cafe/restaurant next to the hostel a little big expensive and there is no open kitchen for making your own food but central Berlin is a pretty expensive place to be overall. Free wireless internet; however internet traffic is not throttled per user so if someone is streaming a video at 500+ kilobytes it will drag down the entire hostel connection. I'm not an expert but if there was a way they could limit the internet speed to perhaps 70 - 80 kilobytes per user it may alleviate concerns about internet speed. No complaints, except that the building is three floors and there are no elevators so if you are on the third floor prepare to walk some (so may not be good for people with mobility problems). Highly recommended hostel - would stay again if visiting Berlin in the future.

Room Tip: There are rooms directly across from the washroom and next to the showers but that cannot be helped...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

We've travelled many countries over the years and stayed at so many places we can't remember, but this place is an absolute standout. We had a private room with ensuite and it was better than many of the expensive hotels we have stayed in many cities. From the excellent staff, grand rooms, great wifi to the friendly restaurant next door. Well done we say. A top choice in Berlin.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hi Nikki,

what would be this place without our standout guests? Thank you so much for this nice words and keep well on your travels...
Mexico
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Clean bathrooms, Big rooms and helpful staff. they provide all info that you need. if you love walking location is perfect because you can reach places like Checkpoint Charlie and Jews Museums in about 20 minutes, if you prefer to get quickly, subway is just a few steps away. Wi-fi service is good. Chinese food, supermarket and mythical "Curry 36" are near.

Great Place to stay!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Amazing hostel! I have stayed in a lot of hostels before but I can truly say: THIS IS ONE OF THE TOP 3, PROBABLY NO 1!

- Staff was super nice and friendy, very helpful.
- Everything was clean and tidy, almost like in a hotel.
- Great rooms, great facilities, NO BUNK BEDS!
- Great location in the heart of beautiful Kreuzberg.
- Soooo amazingly cheap!
- Great breakfast/lunch place run by the hostel called Grandwich Bar just round the corner.
- So many great people there from all over the world. So even though it feels kinda like a hotel it's still got the atmosphere of a hostel.

That's pretty much it. The only thing is that they don't have Berliner Pilsner or Berliner Kindl beer in the (great) hostel bar.

Looking forward to my next visit!

Room Tip: I booked a 5 bed shared dorm and it was great. I guess all rooms are just great though.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Beirut, Beyrouth, Lebanon
Reviewed November 13, 2012

It was the most pleasant stay at the Grand Hostel Berlin.
I went there with my friend in October 2012.
The staff are young, really cool, welcoming, helpful.
We loved everything about it.
They gave us a map & told us about the best places to visit.
They took us out to a really nice pub where we spent the time of our life.
You have to take drinks with everyone in the lobby before going out.
Felt like home with all my friends.
I really miss that place :)

Room Tip: Any room will do the work
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bristol
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Just got back from Berlin a couple of days ago - my fourth trip all in all and every time, I've stayed at The Grand Hostel. It's exceptional value for money and the staff are all awesome and very welcoming. The location is spot on too with it being sat on U1, the main strip for all your nightlife needs. It's located in Kreuzberg itself which also has some great nightlife and many shops, bars, eateries etc.

I've seen a few reviews saying it's noisy, but bear in mind it's in the heart of a capital city - it's hardly going to be silent.

Just awesome. Will definitely be staying there next April and June for my next Berlin trips.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends