“Best hostel ever stayed at”

Grand Hostel Berlin
Ranked #6 of 349 Specialty Lodging in Berlin
Melbourne, Australia
“Best hostel ever stayed at”
Reviewed July 28, 2011

We booked this hostel based on really good things I'd heard about it, and were not disappointed in the slightest! There were 4 of us in our travel group so we booked a 4 bed room and had a huge room to ourselves with comfy single beds (no bunks) and plenty of space, cupboards etc. Showers down the hall were great temperature and pressure and there was never any wait for a shower or toilet.

Everything was spotlessly clean too, and the beds were amazingly comfortable. Wifi was free and worked in the rooms as well as in reception area. We didn't take up the breakfast option because it was a bit expensive for us, but the food looked really good. Location was great, right across from a station and we always felt safe. Staff were nice, and we went on a pub crawl with the hostel as well which we really enjoyed. Basically we just couldn't recommend Grand Hostel highly enough - stay here! Such a refreshing break from other hostels, felt more like we were staying in a hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed July 28, 2011

very clean, service very friendly. close to centre (3stops on U bahn). Reasonable price.Breakfast best yet of any hostel.just perfect for a trip to Berlin. We'll come back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dresden, Germany
Reviewed July 25, 2011

This was the best of all the hostels I have ever stayed in. The Grand Hostel combines the cleanliness and service standards of a hotel with the atmosphere of a hostel. Great location too makes this a place I would gladly stay in the next time I come to Berlin. The breakfast buffet was outstanding and can feed you enough to keep going for almost the rest of the day. Very comfortable beds, (no bunks, but real beds) a comfortable bar in the lobby and excellent friendly staff make this place close to perfect. One note to improve: no elevator so climbing to the top floor might be trouble for some people. It´s a historical building so likely no improvement there. At least it´s a good leg workout.

In one word: WUNDERBAR!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Buenos Aires
Reviewed July 23, 2011

A great buffet breakfast which was not included but it was ok as the price per night for a private room is not expensive at all. everything seems to be new and really clean!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 22, 2011

I stayed here for only one night with my mum and we both just loved it! The building, rooms and common space all are beautiful. The stuff is super friendly and helpful and the location is great! We had a room with shared bathroom and we never had to wait and everything was always clean. We'll definitely be back and next time for longer! Awesome hostel!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
East Anglia
Reviewed July 15, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for only one night, although we definitely would love to come back again. We stayed in the triple room with the balcony; the hostel was incredibly nice to offer it to us at a cheap price and make sure that we were the only ones in it (without us even requesting it to be so!). I haven't stayed at too many hostels, however I don't think there will be one that is as fantastic as this. Although there was a school group there when we were, the noise wasn't too bad, and ear plugs enabled us to sleep well. Although it wasn't an issue for us since we weren't sharing the room, make sure that if you lock up your possessions in the lockers in the rooms, to have a skinny lock-our traditional locks were too big. The beds were incredibly comfortable and clean. The bathrooms were modern and clean, and I did not have a problem at all with sharing them. The hostel is close to a metro stop, so it was easy to get around Berlin. Best of all are the people that work there. They are all extremely upbeat, helpful people. The staff was incredibly informative of where to go and were interesting people to talk to. The breakfast was also fantastic. It is open later and offers a dizzying array of options from regular breakfast staples of eggs and bacon, to breads, cheese, pastas, and so much more. We were very impressed with the B&B and would love to come back here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I have only been to two hostels (including this one). The first one I went to, was pretty amazing but Grand Hostel blew it out of the waters! At Grand Hostel expect to have your every need met. Most importantly, they have an amazing breakfast (not included in your price, but definitely worth it!), clean rooms, laundry and internet access. I spent only and overnight in Berlin because I came to see my favourite band play in Huxley's, and the staff were so accommodating. Their 24hr reception is so helpful because my train came in 50 minutes late to Berlin, leaving me 15 minutes late to my concert.. I was able to just drop off my bags and head straight to the concert and check-in upon my return. (around 1am). In addition, expect to get a good sleep because this place is huge and seems to be blocked away from any street noise and this place is definitely not a party hostel. It is more like a hotel-hostel, just based on the needs of the individual guest. I loved it, definitely WILL return when I come back to Berlin and the people are super nice! Added plus: Metro is about 100-200m away from hostel, with connections to the U6 and U7. There is the M41 bus from the bus stop Willy Brandt Haus that goes to the Hauptbahnhof directly, but it is still a bit far by foot if you're taking lots of luggage. Cheers! Enjoy your stay and I hope you choose to come here :)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo