“Gym with hotel attached”

Aspria Berlin Ku'damm
Ranked #276 of 635 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed 2nd time this year. It's overall a good location (and I've seen quite many) With very nice substance. rooms so as the Spa is remarkable so as the gym facilities. Unfortunately they are frequented by non-hotel guests incl small kids. That's not so funny if one want to have a swim but the pool is crowded. Same was happening at the Spa. Then the whole facility is managed like a gym but there is little understanding when it comes to the needs of hotel guests. Having said so, the staff is very much anxious to do its best.
So I concluded myself that management is poor but ambitions are high (similar o prices). What a pity ... could really be nice, but ....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank W F

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Second time in this property and Always pleased with it !
The gym is just Perfect and the Pool is not over crowded (unfortunately they have removed the power plate into a special room with an extra charge ) - The Trainers are All really Great and very Helpful
The location is Great - easy from Tegel airport (taxi aprox 18euros )

Even if the staff is more a staff for Sport gym they are doing the Best to try to satisy you (such as bringing your luggage down the stairs on your Departure date ..
Breakfast Buffet is Great but the service is a little un-organized ..

To improve : maybe a kettle in the room for a herbal tea at night and tea or coffee in the morning before geting down to breakfast lounge ... someone to welcome you with your luggage on your arrival (easy when they are 2 or 3 behing the big counter ) ?
umbrella to borrow during the raining days (specially for someone who is staying 4 nights )
sleepers better quality (closed up front )
Korres products(in March ) where better than the new ones ( in October) ..

Concerning the reservation department it really has to improove - rates for 2013 are Not even online on your Own website (in October 2012 ) -

But of course I'm sure I will return because when you really need to Relax This is Just the Perfect Spot !
Beatrice

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Similar to the previous review, I stayed here while attending the Innotrans Exhibition at nearby Berlin Messe in September. The rest of Berlin seemed booked out that week, and this hotel had good reviews and good proximity to the Messe.
First off, I think you need to be into fitness (or spa) to get the most out of this hotel. This place is more like a gym and wellness centre with a hotel attached.

On the plus side:
1. Modern spacious room.
2. Friendly helpful staff
3. Convenient gym facilities and fitness classes.
4. Steady stream of local Berliners going about their daily exercise.
5. Bircher muesli at breakfast was a winner.
6. I loved the rental bikes (Next Bike) located just outside the hotel. Great way to get around Berlin.

On the negative side:
1. Layout is a little wierd. To get to my room from the front door I had to...... Climb stairs, go through swipe turnstile, go up one level in lift, walk across the building through the spa reception, go up another lift, go to room.
2. Started badly when I arrived and had to carry my suit case up a flight of stairs to get to reception. No wheel chair ramp or lift access here.
3. I'm a bit of a fan of fresh fruit for breakfast and the offering was not great. The fruit platter on the first morning had watermelon that looked like it had come from an egyptian crypt.
4. Not really located in an interesting part of Berlin.
5. There is no room service for food.

But the biggest disappointment came when I left. I handed in some laundry on Friday morning. When I got a note on Saturday morning that there was no laundry done on the weekend, I did not connect this information with my bag of laundry from Friday morning. I checked out on Sunday morning, and forgot that I hadn't received it back. As soon as I got to Stuttgart I discovered the missing items and realised what had happened. Aspria staff said that it had not been laundered (why? - they had it on Friday morning), but they would post it to me in Stuttgart. By the following Thursday it had still not arrived, so I followed up and discovered that it would be arriving on the following Tuesday (i.e. 9 days after I asked for it). This was gym clothes that were sweaty. By the time I received them they were ripe. If they knew I was checking out on Sunday, why did they take the laundry on Friday? Anyway - not great service in that instance.
However, I did attend a couple of gym classes while I was there and that was fun.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Aussie_abroad_09
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I've been staying at Aspria during the recent Innotrans (from the 19th to the 21st of September, 2012). I could practice my favourite sports (running "outside", because it's not real far from the Zoo and its nice garden, and swimming, even if the swimming pool is maybe a little bit small during the rush hour...), went out for a good dinner and join the Exhibition on foot.
The rooms are nice, modern and comfortable.
On the other hand I was not happy about the restaurant & the bar: they are not adequate.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is my third year in a row to stay at the Aspria. Love it. However, we always do just one night there for the gym and the food (healthy and delicious), and then off to the eastern part of the city to stay for the rest of the trip. While the Aspria is a fantastic hotel, it is located very poorly, relative to what you would want to actually do while in Berlin.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mattkorey
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have been staying at Aspria for 2 years when I travel to Berlin on business. The hotel has large, comfortable, clean, and modern rooms. The large windows allow daylight to penetrate until dusk , and you do not need to turn on the lights during daytime. I would highly recommend the sports club, the swimming pool , and the restaurant. The hotel is conveniently located on a quiet street a few minutes walk from Kudamm and close to some nice restaurants

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Sengul
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The hotel is very good, well beyond expectations. Modern and efficient. My wife and I love the four days which we spent in Berlin and did not repent of having chosen the Aspria, a little more far away as of other traditional turistic hotels. However, our stay was very worthwhile. My first concern was the distance to the net of the excellent public transport from Berlin. In this aspect Aspria leaves no wish unfulfilled. The hotel is located exactly 1000 meters from an S-bahn station (Charlotenburg) and 400 metres from the next bus station in Kurfürstendamm, where it is possible easily go to any other station from the public transportation net. In reality the hotel is inside a great and modern gym. There is not a hotel for sedentary people or who are not interested in SPA facilities. However for those who like diferent saunas, swimming pools, gymnastics halls, massages (paid), etc., the hotel is a great choice. We received a superior room to what we had booked without any additional price. The apartment is large and spacious with living room, kitchen, separate bathroom, great king bed and two televisions, one above the bed and another on the nook. Our apartment could be rated as a five star standard. The furniture is modern and efficient. In all there are comfort and good taste. The breakfast is varied and plentiful with products of excellent quality. When I return to Berlin won't have doubts to return to Aspria. After a long day walking in the city nothing better like relax in a sauna, whirpool or on the large terrace. The hotel building has 5 floors and only on the first floor are the hotel rooms. The other floors have swimmingpool, gymnastics rooms, saunas, terraces, restaurant and bar.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple